Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have lurked on this site for almost a year but not having a KLR at the time made it senseless to post. Well, my KLR status changed on Monday! I picked up a 2004 KLR 650 for $800 with a clean title. The bike was originally red but has been rattle canned blue, is missing the rad shrouds, has a broken speedo and has floppy turn signals. Oh, and the steering head bearings are loose! The bike starts and runs strong, like I'd expect a 650cc tractor to, the speedo last worked at 35,000 some miles.

My goals are to do some basic work on the engine, clean carb, check and adjust valves, change oil and filter... I have not idea if the doohickey has been done, if I tear it down and have to replace the gaskets I'll certainly do it if it hasn't been done. I'll fix the speedo, it has a new cable, I figure the drive gear has been bent or something went awry in the speedo itself. Basically give the bike a good going over and clean up.
I have 9 other bikes so this will be my adventure/traveling bike. A friend of mine just invested in a WR250R and he wants to tour the south eastern seaboard over the course of a week camping along the way, so I'll build the KLR for this trip.

Eventually I will swap a twin into this frame, preferably the Kawi 650 FI twin. I would do an EX500 if I got a great deal on a donor bike.

What do you guys think, suggestions, comments, concerns? Is there a way to post pix?

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
Bafoonage,
Welcome to the forum.
Pics are possible after 15 postings. Anti-spam measure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts