Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my KLR a few days ago. It's a unmolested 1989 with 4200 road miles in excellent condition. No wear at all on the bike. It's a awesome piece of the past in very good condition. I'm really excited to ride it but it's so nice I'm kind of scared to use it on the trails I bought it for.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Welcome to our little asylum! Here's a pic of several members from here talking about their KLRs!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Even with some scratches, you won't ruin the your investment. Plus, few scratches here and there on a KLR can only make you look more of the stud than you already do riding such an awesome bike.

Did you buy the 250 or 650?

What kind of trails did you buy it for?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got a 650 I'm a big guy so the 250 wouldn't have cut it.
I got if for dirt road and trail riding. Most of the trails I see these days are large enough for quads so I figured I'd like a more comfy bike. When I was younger I had a wr426 and I thought about going with a wr450 but the bike isn't as comfortable has a small fuel tank and can't haul anything. I'd like to be able to do single track but I havnt riden in 10 years so I've got to get my confidence and skills back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Super Nice!

I have been riding my 2005 KLR (gen 1 like yours) for two years. I found that sand and tight turns are challenging. It's a heavy bike and so you got to ride it differently than lighter ones.

I found this guy's vids helpful and entertaining. You will have to copy and then paste them into your address bar since I can't post clickable links yet.

youtube.com/watch?v=33GG5RYT__w
youtube.com/watch?v=kAYRgb0iVqQ

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't think I'll be riding in sand but I'm doing the trails so tight turn techniques will be really helpful
If I start riding a lot I'll probably end up with a WR450 again for the the thrill rides

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can anyone recomend a good tire
I'm looking at probably 10-20% on road the rest off road and single track trails
I was looking at the Dunlop 606 tires
Any comments are helpful thx

·
Registered
901 Posts
Can anyone recomend a good tire
I'm looking at probably 10-20% on road the rest off road and single track trails
I was looking at the Dunlop 606 tires
Any comments are helpful thx
Let's see...

I've used up a set of the Shinko 244 tires (roughly $86 for a set of front / rear tires). They lasted about 6,000 miles (if I remember correctly). They're a decent tire on and off road.

I'm currently running the Shinko 804 on the front, and the Shinko 805 on the rear. I've got a couple thousand miles on them so far, and they're doing well. Most of the mileage I've got on the current tires are on the highway commuting to / from work. They're a big-block style. They're not bad on the road, or off road for that matter.

My son is running the Dunlop 606 tires, and he's really abusing the crap out of them (look up ravenlocke13 on Instagram to see where he went today - rocky, steep, wet, etc.).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts