Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

New KLR owner in Florida

645 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  PeteK 
#1 ·
I just picked up a broken 2006 KLR yesterday. I have been on motorcycles my entire adult life, now 67, but my first KLR. It joins 3 Harleys, 2 Urals, and an XS1100 in my shop. It needs a top end, so I will be adding big bore and redoing the head. Then cleaning up the rest a little. Is theere anyone who specializes in these bikes in North Central Florida? I am in Marion County.

#4 ·
First, why do you think it needs top end work?

If it does, it will cost you a bit more in shipping, but you should send your head and cylinder to Eagle Mike for the big bore and head refreshing. He and his subbed machine shop do this more than anyone else, provides the best quality job, is reasonably priced, and provides quick customer service. You'll spend more on gasoline driving around locally to find a shop to do the work, and then not be sure what quality you will get.

#6 ·
First, why do you think it needs top end work?

If it does, it will cost you a bit more in shipping, but you should send your head and cylinder to Eagle Mike for the big bore and head refreshing. He and his subbed machine shop do this more than anyone else, provides the best quality job, is reasonably priced, and provides quick customer service. You'll spend more on gasoline driving around locally to find a shop to do the work, and then not be sure what quality you will get.
The previous owner told me a mechanic had checked it and said it had burnt valves. I will do a leak down test to confirm before tearing into it.

Are you saying that only one person in the country should work on these bikes? That would make him a busy man. I am sure that there are many competent machinists out there. Someone who specialized in these bikes would have torque plates and any other tooling required to do the job right. I won't be just driving around looking for one, so gas savings isn't an issue. I do plan on using Eagle Mike's parts and haven't ruled out shipping my parts to him. I would like to support local businesses if there is one nearby.

#9 ·
Eagle Mike is a known good quantity with the most experience around for klr repairs and parts. you can absolutely trust what he says, sells and does.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.