Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just worked out a purchase deal for a 2007 KLR in another state. The bike has ~300 miles on it. I'm planning to fly out and then ride it back home. The trip back is roughly 700 miles. So, I'm planning to stop and do the first oil change along the way. I already picked up a filter but have a few simple questions that I hoping someone could help me with. 1. What's the onwer's manual suggested mileage for teh first oil change? I'm figuring it's probably somewhere in teh 500 to 600 mile range...
2. What size wrench/socket is the drain plug?
3. What size wrench/socket do I need to change the oil filter?
4. Is a wrench or a socket & ratchet a better choice for this chore?
5. Is anyone willing to post a picture or two of the drain plug and the filter housing just to help show me the genral configuration?

I'd sure appreciate the help to make sure I bring along the right tools withot having to bring a bunch of unneeded tools. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Go ahead and buy yourself a 1/4 inch ratchet and an 8,10,12,and 14MM sockets, I grabbed deepwells. These will pretty much tear your bike down with the included tool kit. I think the drain plug is either 12 or 14 mm, I can't remember exactly. The bolts on the filter housing are 8mm. When you remove the filter don't forget to pull out the metal shaft and put it into the new filter. It will only go in one way, so is not a big deal to worry with, also be mindful of the oring gasket for the housing and take note the housing lid goes on one way also with a tab that will go to the bottom. Torque the bolts to 6 inch pounds, no more if you can help it. I purchased an inch pound torque wrench at harbor freight. If you buy one, make sure it will read from around 20 to 200 inch pounds as you do a lot of adjusting below the 100 inch pound setting. The drain plug is the only large bolt on the bottom end of the engine just behind the skid plate.

This picture shows the location of the filter housing on the right hand side of the motor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfect. Just the info I was looking for.
Thank You.

One follow up please, Do I have to remove the skid plate to get to the drain plug?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
No problem, glad I could be of help.
I recommend you go to this web site and take a look around at the mods one should do to the KLR starting first and foremost with changing out the doohickey asap.
http://www.klr650.marknet.us/pdfdownloads.html

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I've been lurking (reading and learning) for a while... the doohickey is top on my list of mods when I get home.

So, can I get to the drian plug without removing the skid plate?

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Oil Filter Tube

Just because I like to remind people, don't forget to take your oil filter tube out of your old filter and stick it in your new filter before installing it.

Many of the tubes get thrown out, and you need this tube to complete the flow circuit and actually filter the oil.

·
Registered
704 Posts
The Clymer repair manual is a great help if you're going to wrench on the bike yourself. Gives the service intervals and stuff. Readily available on the net. Look around - prices vary quite a bit.

Another thing I found while looking for a Buell manual is a couple of sites that will sell downloads in PDF format of various manuals at about 1/4 the price of the hard copy manual.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with these manual downloads?

Wealth of experience and knowledge on this forum. You're in the right place.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the reminder on the tube and suggestions for a service manual.

I don't want to start another "Oil" debate or string but do have one easy question. What weight oil is recommended in the owners manual?

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Thanks for the reminder on the tube and suggestions for a service manual.

I don't want to start another "Oil" debate or string but do have one easy question. What weight oil is recommended in the owners manual?
Uh oh... I can see it coming... The dreaded oil thread...

Welcome Northstreet!!

Take care, and ride safe!

MB4

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
That's a good question..:)
I really don't have a clue. The manual had so little info in it that I lost it a while back..
I run 15w-40 Rotela or equivilent..

Manual....
Hmmmmm...:character00271:

·
Registered
3 Posts
to Northstreet on oil

Just go to your Kawasaki dealership and tell them what you have. My dealership recomended and sold me Maxima 4 Premium 10W40. A gallon Jug cost me $19.95. and I have a lot left that I will use if it gets low in the oil window.

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Hey Northstreet!

I was just giving you a hard time... We encourage questions here, no matter what they are, or how many times they are asked. I run synthetic currently, but plan to go back to a 15w-40 non-synthetic.

Take care, ask questions, and ride safe!

MB4

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank You everyone for all the helpful advice. I sure appreciate it. I'll check back in when I get back and let folks know how I make out on my trip home with my new (to me) KLR.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts