Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just won a 2013 low mile KLR on eBay. It has an aftermarket seat, skid plate, crash bars and panniers already. I am planning some week long trips (so heavily loaded) with many dirt roads. From what I can gather I should plan on doing the Thermo-Bob and Doo-hickey. I would like to upgrade the front and rear suspension. What are thoughts on a progressive rate vs. straight rate suspensions? Does the oversize front rotor make a big difference to braking on a loaded KLR? If so, it seems the Galfer system is cheaper then the EBC. Any difference between the two? Thank you everyone for your input.

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
Welcome to the forum. What is your location? If you can add it to your Profile that would help a lot with questions etc.

Use the forum search tool. There have been a few discussions and there is a current one about brake upgrades.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I filled out the Profile when I joined. I guess I forgot to hit save. Hopefully it is showing now.

I did a search but was unable to find any recent discussions on the subject, or recent discussions but on the Gen 1 KLR.

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
I just won a 2013 low mile KLR on eBay. It has an aftermarket seat, skid plate, crash bars and panniers already. I am planning some week long trips (so heavily loaded) with many dirt roads. From what I can gather I should plan on doing the Thermo-Bob and Doo-hickey. I would like to upgrade the front and rear suspension. What are thoughts on a progressive rate vs. straight rate suspensions? Does the oversize front rotor make a big difference to braking on a loaded KLR? If so, it seems the Galfer system is cheaper then the EBC. Any difference between the two? Thank you everyone for your input.
The first thing to do is change the oil, gas it up and then ride it. Some people really get into the mods and some mods help (a little) but the whole reason to get the bike is to ride it. Do that and spend some time in the saddle. You'll know more about what you want the bike to be after 1000 miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent advice Toney. Such sound advice except my type A personality wants everything done yesterday. If not the day before. ;)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Welcome. You'll find these mods are not hard to do for a handy guy.

Reactions: efd158
1 - 11 of 11 Posts