Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aquired an '03 KLR650 last week. At first I was just going to sell it, but now I'm thinking I might just keep it.

I'm hearing a lot of good things about these bikes, and with mine only having 250 miles on it, I should be able to enjoy it for years to come!

Just have to get the dang thing running. It sat for a couple years and the gas smelled like rotten sewage. Previous owner had cranked it and had it running when I picked it up circulating all that nasty gas through it, now dies when I try to give it some throttle.

Once I get her going though I'll post some pics. These things are MASSIVE! :character00268:

Jason

·
Registered
704 Posts
Great score.

Start out simple. Buy you a Clymers manual. They're readily availble online and maybe local Barnes/Noble or auto parts store.

Remove tank, drain, slosh a little fresh gas around in it and drain that. Reinstall tank, put in a gallon or so of fresh gas with 3 or 4 ounces of Seafoam (a couple of ounces of acetone will also work). Open the float chamber drain, apply vaccum to the petcock and drain down till the fresh gas shows. Crank and run a minute or so, hopefully throttleing up some.
Then let it set at least overnight (but not more if you've used the acetone).

Then if it'll throttle up, put in more gas and a little more solvent and run that out.

If that doesn't work, you'll need to clean out the carb. There's several threads re that if you'll search.

Since it's been sitting, I'd change oil and filter very soon -- actually as soon as you've got it running and heated the oil for awhile. And remember - you're still well within the breakin period.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to pick up that maual...

I alrady drained the tank, cleaned out the carb, cleaned of the spark plug, and petcock. I was just in a rush (had to go to work) and got it back together in time to try an fire it off once.

Nothing... It tried to start once but just sounded flooded and backfired a couple times.

I'm going to dive off into it tomorrow morning when I get off work. I probably just got something crossed up or outta wack.

Jason

·
Registered
704 Posts
That should have done it. How thoroughly did you go into the carb? Really sounds like junk in the low speed jet - very common. Maybe a thorough workover of carb is needed - like a remove, dissamble and soak and blow out with compressed air.

Make sure you got the vac tube back on the petcock or gas won't flow at all.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Might consider doing the .22 cent smile maker mod while you have the carb apart. Also open up the air mixture valve about 2 to 2 1/2 turns. You'll have to pop that factory plug out of the orifice to get to the adjustment needle. Very easy to do. Congrats on the purchase, you will enjoy it greatly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just took the bowl off and cleaned out the jets, and did the spray all the orifaces out with carb cleaner cleaning... I didn't go into the diaphram.

The small jet was stopped up a bit. Got it flowing good after a good soaking and blowing it out.

Like I said, I prollr just reassembled somethin bass ackwards. It's killing me not being home to mess with it...

DXKLR do you have a link I could follow to those mods? I'm no bike mechanic, so this is somewhat uncharted territory for me.

Jason

·
Registered
704 Posts
Yeah, sometimes the spray cleaner doesn't get it all.

DX and I don't totally agee on some things, believe it or not!!! I'd get it running right before I did any mods, then I'd do them one at a time so if something screws up you know what it is.

Good luck. Seems like you've got a handle on it.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
LOL, not agreeing on everything is what makes the world go around, but Big Iron makes for a great suggestion. Yes do get it going first, I was just responding to some easy mods that will help the bike overall, if you don't plan on any major exhaust and airbox mods.

The .22 cent mod is simply two #4 stainless steel washers you should be able to buy at your local hardware store. You simply slide these up the shaft of the needle in your carb allowing a bit more fuel flow and a better throttle response.

Here is the link for the airmixture screw mod.
http://www.klr650.marknet.us/Carb_AirMix.pdf

and this is the link for all of Marks mods.
http://www.klr650.marknet.us/pdfdownloads.html

·
Registered
704 Posts
BTW, I had a hard time finding the small washers, even at my dependable third generation "real" hardware store and marine supply stores. The ACE hardware, which I usually avoid, had them and the lady knew exactly what I was talking about and where they were. They'd gone up to 16 cents tho. Who knows how much now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts