Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New to the forums and owning a 22 KLR. Bought my bike a couple of months ago without ABS as I had never had experience with ABS on a motorcycle before and was worried about how it might affect off-roadability. I really don't have buyers remorse but now I wish I would have maybe gotten the ABS. I tend to dwell over things after the fact. That being said, is there a possibility of having ABS installed on a non ABS bike? Was wondering if there was something available OEM or similar. Not the cheap China stuff on Alibaba. Thanks, Rod

· Registered
46 Posts
I don't know of any aftermarket but went to RMATVMC and looked at the schematics. The pump alone is MSRP $1192. By the the time you added all the brackets, piping, wheel sensors, etc. it would be a lot cheaper to trade in I'd imagine. Anyways, welcome here :)

· Administrator
4,625 Posts
What is your motivation to get ABS now? I’m all to familiar with
dwelling over things after the fact
but at this point I would just enjoy the ride.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My motivation is probably that I'm commuting a bit more on the bike than I anticipated. I found the promise of a "dirt-tuned" abs intriguing. But at the end of the day it's probably going to be miserable on dirt. I'm happy with it as it is. If it was economically sound I might consider trying it.

· Registered
41 Posts
If it helps your mentality, I intentionally bought the non-ABS model after spending the last few years on an ABS Vstrom 650. I understand the mechanical advantage of having the brakes cycle much faster than I can do it myself under slip conditions, but the noise/feel combination of ABS engaging is more disconcerting than having to recognize a skid and modulate the brakes myself for me. I'm also not sure the ABS KLR models are actually tuned too significantly for off-road riding. I don't believe you can turn any part of the system off in stock form without modding, and it looks like most dual-sport/off-road/adventure type bikes are moving toward allowing disengagement of the system by the operator, at least for the rear wheel.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it helps your mentality, I intentionally bought the non-ABS model after spending the last few years on an ABS Vstrom 650. I understand the mechanical advantage of having the brakes cycle much faster than I can do it myself under slip conditions, but the noise/feel combination of ABS engaging is more disconcerting than having to recognize a skid and modulate the brakes myself for me. I'm also not sure the ABS KLR models are actually tuned too significantly for off-road riding. I don't believe you can turn any part of the system off in stock form without modding, and it looks like most dual-sport/off-road/adventure type bikes are moving toward allowing disengagement of the system by the operator, at least for the rear wheel.
Yeah I'm happy with the bike I was just thinking possibly that maybe I left something on the table by not getting the ABS model but I'm very pleased with the bike.

· Registered
2017 KLR 650 Carbon matte grey
32 Posts
New to the forums and owning a 22 KLR. Bought my bike a couple of months ago without ABS as I had never had experience with ABS on a motorcycle before and was worried about how it might affect off-roadability. I really don't have buyers remorse but now I wish I would have maybe gotten the ABS. I tend to dwell over things after the fact. That being said, is there a possibility of having ABS installed on a non ABS bike? Was wondering if there was something available OEM or similar. Not the cheap China stuff on Alibaba. Thanks, Rod
Klr's don't need ABS. Never had or needed abs on any of my motorcycles. Been riding since 1978. Be glad you saved money not buying and use the savings to get some crash bars or panniers?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts