Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon everyone,

I am new to the KLR world. I have owned my 2013 for nearly a year now with a bit of riding under my belt however due to a busy schedule not as much as i had hoped. I am wanting to spend more time on it this year though and want to prepare it to do a portion of the TAT. I was hoping to reach out to the community to see what everyone believes are necessary mods to do prior to hitting the road.

A couple things i would be interested in are suspension upgrades, Skid plate upgrades, Rad covers, a metal chain guard seems hard to find? and anything else that people have found necessary to improve.

Things i have done so fare are basically tune up work, addition of bark busters and removal of some excess lighting circuits the previous owner had added. I have also ordered a brass choke plunger by stead engineering as I found the plastic one not very robust when cleaning up my carb.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I haven't found really anything "necessary" to hit the road other than having a tool kit and a strapped on bag I carry water bottles in.
What kind of riding and where are you planning? Camping? Would help to know these things to make suggestions. I don't know what TAT is.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I give you credit for seeking the adventure but If it where me, the first thing I'd pack is the Motorhome ;) I can't get A/C and a king bed on a KLR.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like Toney said it is the Trans America Trail. Sorry for the Acronym. It is mostly dirt roads which is what i want to gear my bike towards mostly dual track but perhaps a little single track when needed.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hahaha i don't disagree! I am hoping to have an RV/support vehicle driven along with us as well.
Oh gees, chicken lol

In that case I'd concentrate on ride quality, keep the bike light, and good tires 60 biased or better.
Loctite all the bolts and do the upper frame thru bolt.
I'm sure there's more.

·
Premium Member
3,951 Posts
Good Afternoon everyone,

I am new to the KLR world. I have owned my 2013 for nearly a year now with a bit of riding under my belt however due to a busy schedule not as much as i had hoped. I am wanting to spend more time on it this year though and want to prepare it to do a portion of the TAT. I was hoping to reach out to the community to see what everyone believes are necessary mods to do prior to hitting the road.

A couple things i would be interested in are suspension upgrades, Skid plate upgrades, Rad covers, a metal chain guard seems hard to find? and anything else that people have found necessary to improve.

Things i have done so fare are basically tune up work, addition of bark busters and removal of some excess lighting circuits the previous owner had added. I have also ordered a brass choke plunger by stead engineering as I found the plastic one not very robust when cleaning up my carb.
Suspension upgrades; www.motocd.com

Skid plate: Ricochet Offroad Armor Aluminum Skid Plate For Kawasaki KLR650 '87-'17 - TwistedThrottle.ca

Rad guard: 2008-2017 KLR650 Radiator Guard - JNS Engineering

No metal chain guards but I use these which are much better than stock: Hot Foot Moto LLC :: Motorcycle Products :: Chain Sliders, Guides, Rollers :: Kawasaki :: KLX, KDX & KLR Models :: 1988-2011 Kawasaki KLR 650 Rear Chain Guide

Other thoughts;
- decent bars Renthal - MX / Enduro - 7/8" I use the 809's

- real footpegs: I use knight designs drop pegs though a set of IMS's with JNS peg relocation brackets are a solid choice. Knight Design Kawasaki KLR650 11-16 Wide Foot Pegs

Personally I'd also ditch the clutch and sidestand safety switches and swap the petcock for a manual one. Manual Petcock for KLR650

Good luck,

Dave

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
You lucky dog, the Trans-Canada Adventure Trail passed through Huntsville about 250 km NE of Kitchener.

As dan filipi says not a lot is needed for the KLR on the TAT. My first through-ride of the TAT was on a bone stock 2008 KLR.

I do recommend a good skid plate and some crash bars. I did crack up the plastic motor cover. I will not call that thing a skid plate. You don't need suspension upgrades, radiator covers, or chain guards. You should think more about what gear you will need - bags, tools, spare parts, rain gear, clothing, etc.

I carry spare tubes, a patch kit, air pump, clutch and throttle cables, tire tools, sockets and hex keys as needed.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I'm planning the same ride next summer. Either July so I can experience the black flies, or August so I can experience the mosquitos.

A coworker just came back from this trip on his GS1200A running TK70 tires, most of the gravel he road standing up as it was fresh and he was sinking in.
His bike also looks like a school bus on wheels with all the cases, and gear.......aka heavy.

I'm going to keep the KLR light. Crash bars, skid plate, centre stand, foot pegs, tall windshield and a PVC tool kit mounted on the skid plate. Duffle bag lined with garbage bags to keep the contents dry. Thats it. Intend on hotels with big fluffy pillow and hot water showers, with cold beer in the vicinity.

Looking for tall sized used 4 seasons jacket and pants so I don't need to pack rain gear and extra clothing. Carry the bare minimum in clothing, no one can smell how bad you are wearing the same clothes for days and wash them at the hotel laundry when needed.

If you're riding with a buddy with the same bike, you can reduce/share the tools and spares to lighten up as well.
brian

·
Registered
7 Posts
TaT

I haven't found really anything "necessary" to hit the road other than having a tool kit and a strapped on bag I carry water bottles in.
What kind of riding and where are you planning? Camping? Would help to know these things to make suggestions. I don't know what TAT is.
I'm not sure either, but it must be extremely valuable if you can get tit for it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just got home from 4 days in Oregon backcountry ride that was 200 mile days 90% dirt. Mostly dirt roads but we had everything from dunes to rock hill climbs and some Bush whacking. I’ve taken my 2008 KLR through a lot but this was the hardest ride and I was packed for multi day camping. I don’t believe in trying to do motor performance upgrades. It’s not worth the money and you still have a pig.
1. Eagle Mike DooHickey
2. Suspension it’s to soft and you’ll have bottom outs everywhere.
2 protection - skid plates, rad guards, bark busters and maybe headlight cover

Go ride

1 - 15 of 15 Posts