Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

New KLR Rider How to prepare for Adventure Ride

9K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  TheSnide 
I'm planning the same ride next summer. Either July so I can experience the black flies, or August so I can experience the mosquitos.

A coworker just came back from this trip on his GS1200A running TK70 tires, most of the gravel he road standing up as it was fresh and he was sinking in.
His bike also looks like a school bus on wheels with all the cases, and gear.......aka heavy.

I'm going to keep the KLR light. Crash bars, skid plate, centre stand, foot pegs, tall windshield and a PVC tool kit mounted on the skid plate. Duffle bag lined with garbage bags to keep the contents dry. Thats it. Intend on hotels with big fluffy pillow and hot water showers, with cold beer in the vicinity.

Looking for tall sized used 4 seasons jacket and pants so I don't need to pack rain gear and extra clothing. Carry the bare minimum in clothing, no one can smell how bad you are wearing the same clothes for days and wash them at the hotel laundry when needed.

If you're riding with a buddy with the same bike, you can reduce/share the tools and spares to lighten up as well.
brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.