Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed Ad nauseam, but it looks like the wait is coming to an end.

Per Cycle World, the new KLR will be announced November 23.

I asked my buddy who is the manager of the local Kawasaki dealership if he could confirm or deny this. He said "Yep"! I then asked if he would have to kill me if he told me, and he said "Yup"!

Article says it will be a direct competitor for the Yamaha Tenere 700.

·
Premium Member
3,249 Posts
....the article says "some suggesting" that it could be a twin; it's all still just heresay at this point. If those pics are actually the new models (probably not) then don't expect many changes as what you can see looks identical to the existing Gen2 KLR.

One thing is certain; no matter what it is there will be widespread whinning about how they missed the mark - to be expected given the wide variety of KLR riders out there, I suppose.

Dave

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
....the article says "some suggesting" that it could be a twin; it's all still just heresay at this point. If those pics are actually the new models (probably not) then don't expect many changes as what you can see looks identical to the existing Gen2 KLR.

One thing is certain; no matter what it is there will be widespread whinning about how they missed the mark - to be expected given the wide variety of KLR riders out there, I suppose.

Dave
My thoughts exactly Dave. If the new KLR is targeted at the Yamaha Tenere, then it will not be a light bike (ie, not a dirt bike) so guys like you with a bias toward the dirt will not like it.

Historically, I see the gen 1 KLR as the more dirt purposed bike, gen II more street. My gen II has worked for me and I could see myself on a Tenere.

Right now it's just a big bowl of "wait and see"!! (LOL)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Man i just got the 705 big bore broke in!! Seat reconfigured for my tender butt, bark busters, high windshield, heated grips, updated doohickey, hand warmers, 12volt accessorie plug ins, steel grip foot pegs, ported head, hotcams, bigger valves and recently ordered Moab shocks, with ddc front fork kit and Kawasaki goes ahead and builds all the above in nice convenient packaged 700 twin. Hmmmm🙈🤔can’t win. Lol

·
Premium Member
3,249 Posts
Man i just got the 705 big bore broke in!! Seat reconfigured for my tender butt, bark busters, high windshield, heated grips, updated doohickey, hand warmers, 12volt accessorie plug ins, steel grip foot pegs, ported head, hotcams, bigger valves and recently ordered Moab shocks, with ddc front fork kit and Kawasaki goes ahead and builds all the above in nice convenient packaged 700 twin. Hmmmm🙈🤔can’t win. Lol

If they do all that, it'll be $11,999.00. ;-)

Dave

·
Registered
90 Posts
"If the new KLR is targeted at the Yamaha Tenere, then it will not be a light bike (ie, not a dirt bike)"

This!!

The current (previous) KLR is the heaviest I would ever want to go and have a prayer that I could do anything off-road. And even then, the current KLR is too heavy for some technical operations. For instance, try pulling it out of a mud bog alone, or manhandling it on the side of a 45-degree hill that you couldn't quite get up.

There are already many overweight, expensive, ADV bikes. I would love to see it be a much lighter and much more off-road capable bike, with some on-road wind protection.

Uh oh, I think I just started whining!

·
Premium Member
3,249 Posts
"If the new KLR is targeted at the Yamaha Tenere, then it will not be a light bike (ie, not a dirt bike)"

This!!

The current (previous) KLR is the heaviest I would ever want to go and have a prayer that I could do anything off-road. And even then, the current KLR is too heavy for some technical operations. For instance, try pulling it out of a mud bog alone, or manhandling it on the side of a 45-degree hill that you couldn't quite get up.

There are already many overweight, expensive, ADV bikes. I would love to see it be a much lighter and much more off-road capable bike, with some on-road wind protection.

Uh oh, I think I just started whining!
Yep, I keep saying the exact same thing. I have my modded Gen1's down to 353 lbs (wet, no fuel) and my "line in the sand" is 400lbs (wet, full tank).....so far all the ADV twins are way over that with the AT at hernia inducing 534 lbs. The KTM 790R and Tenere 700 are the lightest of the lightest ADV twins at 460 and 452 lbs respectively.....still way heavier than I want and I can almost guarantee that a Kawasaki twin ADV bike isn't going to be as light as a KTM.

I wish the industry would refocus on smaller/lighter true dual purpose bikes rather than flooding the market with overpowered, heavy twin cylinder ADV bikes. ....at a recent event I watched (and helped) a half dozen riders on 1200GS's and the like squid out on a relatively easy hill and most couldn't even lift them back up much less get them to the top of the hill without one or two guys helping, lifting and pushing....no thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
346 Posts
Just as and example. I took my friends Harley v-rod for a spin the other day. I know for a fact my modded klr would kill that thing to 60-65 mph. Never realized the hp/weight on this klr till you compare. Ofcourse after 65 the harley would be just getting into its groove.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yep, I keep saying the exact same thing. I have my modded Gen1's down to 353 lbs (wet, no fuel) and my "line in the sand" is 400lbs (wet, full tank).....so far all the ADV twins are way over that with the AT at hernia inducing 534 lbs. The KTM 790R and Tenere 700 are the lightest of the lightest ADV twins at 460 and 452 lbs respectively.....still way heavier than I want and I can almost guarantee that a Kawasaki twin ADV bike isn't going to be as light as a KTM.
I wish the industry would refocus on smaller/lighter true dual purpose bikes rather than flooding the market with overpowered, heavy twin cylinder ADV bikes. ....at a recent event I watched (and helped) a half dozen riders on 1200GS's and the like squid out on a relatively easy hill and most couldn't even lift them back up much less get them to the top of the hill without one or two guys helping, lifting and pushing....no thanks.
Dave
It’s puzzling/sad/funny how people have to learn over and over again that bike weight is the enemy in the woods.
Back in the mid-60s, when Triumph 500s and larger were popular with American Enduro riders, John Penton came along with a 125cc Sachs engined bike assembled by KTM, and cleaned their clock. Interesting and educational biography on Wikipedia:

Baja? W.Texas? The wide open spaces? Sure, big power is usable and lotsa fun there. But if it’s deep sand, mud or tight woods, go for the light bike. Every time.

However, exhaust gas emissions regulations strongly encourage manufacturers to avoid single cylinder bikes, so I won’t be shocked if Kawasaki goes with their Versys twin. In which case I’ll just keep refreshing my KLR. 😎

·
Premium Member
7,193 Posts
Baja? W.Texas? The wide open spaces? Sure, big power is usable and lotsa fun there. But if it’s deep sand, mud or tight woods, go for the light bike. Every time.

However, exhaust gas emissions regulations strongly encourage manufacturers to avoid single cylinder bikes, so I won’t be shocked if Kawasaki goes with their Versys twin. In which case I’ll just keep refreshing my KLR. 😎
Again, I'll question why/how a 1300cc twin can pass current emissions standards & a 650cc single 'Supposedly' won't?

·
Premium Member
3,249 Posts
In which case I’ll just keep refreshing my KLR. 😎
with the mods I've done, I'm pretty happy with my Gen1's and they've proven to work pretty well as true dual purpose motorcycles - honestly they'd have to do a heck of a job on a replacement to get me to jump ship.

Dave

·
Registered
45 Posts
Agree with all of you - LESS WEIGHT. I’m just putting the final mod touches on an almost new early 2014 with only 4K mi. road miles I picked up last year. I think I’m going to ride her for a long time to come. Phooey on all the electronic traction stuff. K.I.S.S. methodology in play here. 😆(y):cool:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have an Africa Twin (my buddy bought her sister) I do NOT take it off road but I like adventure style so it is my street bike and I am very happy with it. I have my CRF250 Rally for the trails and it is perfect FOR ME ....I even really like the soft suspension . I have my 11th KLR650 (since 1990 , not all at once) and it is ideal for going 100 miles or more to ride off road areas I don't get to ride too often . So , we can ride any bike any way we want to. Now the rumor is TWO new KLR's , possibly a 300 and a 650/700 . I kinda doubt if they will beat my current set-up. They will be all hype and tail wagging to reel in buyers. I hope they are as perfect with "new tech" as the old KLR was with "old school". Think of all the really cool restored Gen 1 & 2 KLR's that will be around in 10 or 20 years. A restored '79 CBX is worth more than a new CBR1000RR . The CBX has no fuel injection , no anti-lock brakes , no traction control , and no ACMITEOAA
(automatic call mommy in the event of an accident ) The same thing will probably happen with KLRs .

Reactions: dallas
1 - 20 of 50 Posts