Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Dirt road thanks for post. What is Africa twin like on gravel roads? Or is just to heavy for that type of riding?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't know . It has 600 miles on it and I'm still scared of damaging it. I wanted one for over a year . It's my street bike. I have a feeling it will never see gravel with me on it.

·
Premium Member
3,242 Posts
Ok thanks. Just curious to what they like. Been eyeing them up. Lol
ChuckB rode one on a dualsport ride; said it handled good and hid it's weight well........but ultimately 500+ lbs makes itself known. Stock Gen2 vs AT offroad, I'd take the AT for the better suspension and live with the extra 75lbs......but modded, I'd take my Gen1's everytime; the 112 - 141 lbs (depending on DCT) is just too much to ignore. As usual, it's all about compromise and the AT would be a joy on pavement and dirt roads.

Dave

·
Registered
344 Posts
ChuckB rode one on a dualsport ride; said it handled good and hid it's weight well........but ultimately 500+ lbs makes itself known. Stock Gen2 vs AT offroad, I'd take the AT for the better suspension and live with the extra 75lbs......but modded, I'd take my Gen1's everytime; the 112 - 141 lbs (depending on DCT) is just too much to ignore. As usual, it's all about compromise and the AT would be a joy on pavement and dirt roads.

Dave
Thanks guys. The at looks like one heck of a bike. But so does the new 890ktm coming out

·
Registered
41 Posts

Dave
I'll bet you would discover that hidden weight when you try to pick it up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I know this has been discussed Ad nauseam, but it looks like the wait is coming to an end.

Per Cycle World, the new KLR will be announced November 23.

I asked my buddy who is the manager of the local Kawasaki dealership if he could confirm or deny this. He said "Yep"! I then asked if he would have to kill me if he told me, and he said "Yup"!

Article says it will be a direct competitor for the Yamaha Tenere 700.
Just finding someone who knows anything at the dealership is amazing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'd be happy enough if it is still priced like a KLR650 had similar ergos to a gen1 KLR650, weighed 399 lbs or less wet and had 41 or more HP, can cruise at 75 all day with a large rack on the back and little to no electronic extras.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'll bet you would discover that hidden weight when you try to pick it up.
I have a 2020 ATAS DCT ES. I’ve ridden it about 5200 miles and about 100 of that is dirt road. There’s no way I’m riding it like a real dual sport. It’s a blast carefully squirreling around. And with great suspension there’s no worries about potholes, etc. But, no matter how well it ‘hides its weight once moving’, if you drop it, it’s a HEAVY PIG. Also, why would I want to risk bashing any of those really expensive parts? It’s a great touring bike you can take on most any forest road you find while touring across the country. No need to bypass those tempting roads. I’m keeping my KLR though.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The Vulcan S engine in the current platform with the requisite ABS hopefully with a switch in the current platform would meet current standards and not add a lot of weight or complexity as well as coming in well under $10,000. That is what I plan when my engine gives me an excuse.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I watch these other guys I ride with and on the gravel back roads they dont feel comfortable at all. The klr to me is a breeze on gravel unless real thick. Then nothing is fun in that. The only bikes I’ve been with that handle the back roads as well or better are the 790r. In this class range.I never rode with any of the big 1200 size bikes yet though either.

·
Premium Member
7,172 Posts
To me and my KLR650, any kind of graded gravel road passable by passenger car or 'modern' SUV is a Super Highway. Just waiting for me to run it a 70, 80, even 90 mph. As long as I either have good line of sight or that I know the road well enough to know about where some of the corners are hiding.

Reactions: skypupbob

·
Registered
344 Posts
Im going to grab the scales from our racetrack and weigh my klr gen 2 2010 today. Any guesses? Full of fuel
I Will weigh like this then take bags off.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts