Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting a garaged 2008 KLR which has not run in 4 years. What should I do other than changing the oil and fresh gas?

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Getting a garaged 2008 KLR which has not run in 4 years. What should I do other than changing the oil and fresh gas?
Did you inquire as to 'Why' it was parked?

First thing that I'd do is give it a bath, (plug the fuel & vacuum hoses to the carb) especially under the gas tank, top of the engine, around the spark plug cavity, under the seat & under the fenders.

Next I'd remove the air box door, check for mouse nest, confirm that the air filter had been re-oiled by the last person. A dry filter does Not Stop the dust! Remove the air filter & inspect the back side & inspect the flame arrestor screen for previous dusting. Clean & dry the air filter, sometimes old filters fall apart during cleaning. Thoroughly re-oil the air filter.

With the spark plug Cap removed, I'd confirm the spark plug cavity is 100% clean & the drain hole which comes out from under the thermostat housing is open (use a wire to wiggle thru). Now you can remove the spark plug to inspect & squirt some WD40 or engine oil into the cylinder. If you have a compression gauge, check the engine cold cranking compression with the throttle wide open. Minimum spec is 75 psi.

Drain the carb, using a remote fuel supply refill with gas. Attempt to start & run, this will show whether or not you need to remove & clean the carb or not.

Bleed fresh brake fluid thru the systems.

Reactions: Toney

·
Registered
59 Posts
Did you inquire as to 'Why' it was parked?

First thing that I'd do is give it a bath, (plug the fuel & vacuum hoses to the carb) especially under the gas tank, top of the engine, around the spark plug cavity, under the seat & under the fenders.

Next I'd remove the air box door, check for mouse nest, confirm that the air filter had been re-oiled by the last person. A dry filter does Not Stop the dust! Remove the air filter & inspect the back side & inspect the flame arrestor screen for previous dusting. Clean & dry the air filter, sometimes old filters fall apart during cleaning. Thoroughly re-oil the air filter.

With the spark plug Cap removed, I'd confirm the spark plug cavity is 100% clean & the drain hole which comes out from under the thermostat housing is open (use a wire to wiggle thru). Now you can remove the spark plug to inspect & squirt some WD40 or engine oil into the cylinder. If you have a compression gauge, check the engine cold cranking compression with the throttle wide open. Minimum spec is 75 psi.

Drain the carb, using a remote fuel supply refill with gas. Attempt to start & run, this will show whether or not you need to remove & clean the carb or not.

Bleed fresh brake fluid thru the systems.
Then ride it like ya stole it! Just kidding, double check fuel lines ti make sure they are not dry rotted, if they used ethanol fuels, this could have dried out the rubber hoses. Same thing with the radiator hoses, shock seals etc.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Take a good look at the tires. If they are left in the same spot, they rot where they were touching the ground. Also you may have to replace the battery after that long parked. A brake fluid change might be a good idea too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts