Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned street bikes in the past and done some trail riding in the past. I do a fair amount of forest road exploring on my quad and want to get more out of my time away by riding to the mountains too. 80% sure KLR is the bike for me with DR650 & DRZ 400S still a remote possibility. I am not a handy mechanic, and know nothing about working on bikes. I'm not afraid to learn and try though.

Couple questions I'm hoping you can help with. Should I be concerned about 2008 or 2009 bikes on the market? I hear they burn oil. What should I expect a local shop to charge for a doohicky install? What is a reasonable # of miles to expect out of these bikes (should I be concerned of bike for sale with 35K+ miles on them)? THANKS.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
One should check & maintain oil level on any sporting vehicle engine Before the 1st start EVERY DAY.
And at every fuel fill up until You are used to its habits with Your riding/driving style.
And because it is so easy to do,standing ahead and right of throttle, looking at oil window, I grab throttle with right hand while hooking my pinky finger on the front brake lever and stand the bike straight-up level, hold for 30-60 seconds to watch oil level rise to top of window or not? Done.

On the 08-09 bikes I'll suggest checking them every 100 miles, until you are familiar with them. And you just might find the one you chose has never ever had an appetite for engine oil. ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Since you are not an experienced mechanic, spend more $ now to get a bike with lower miles, later model year, and better condition. Late Gen2 is best (2014.5). They are easy to work on, but you want to learn to wrench over the winter, not right now when you should be out riding. Installed accessories are nice to have, and you will pay less for them if someone already installed them for you, than if you buy them separately and put them on yourself. For that kind of bike you’re in the $4000+ range. Maybe less, depending on where you live.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
I forgot to suggest that an EM Doo-Hickey installation will usually take 2 - 2.5 hours including fully cleaned gasket surfaces for New Gaskets. But this Does Not include the de-grease/de-mud Time, BEFORE beginning that actual work.

Do yourself a favor and remove the engine sprocket cover, do the De-greasing/De-muding yourself Before taking the bike to Any shop!

·
Registered
914 Posts
My 09 burned no oil between changes. I don't think I ever topped it off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had both and the DR is a far superior bike for those needs. Rides the highway better, my KLRs all seemed to be straining to keep up on the freeway not the DR. DR lighter weight, less complicated (air cooled) no doo hickey to worry about. I can't think of one thing the KLR did better. Maybe it was slightly quieter. And fuel range but easily addressed on the DR.
flame on if you disagree..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts