Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Y’all!

Sorry for the long post, just figured I’d get the gang all caught up on my recent happening so I could set the stage for any future conversations.

As the title mentions, I’m new to the forum and new to motorcycles in general. My only prior experience is goofing off on my Father-In-Law’s 1994 Honda XR600R (super fun!) and maybe 60 miles on my new bike. I’ve recently acquired a 2008 KLR650 with 12,300 miles on it. I knew the previous owner really well and all he did was let the bike sit for a solid couple years, occasionally starting it up and letting it idle in order to put fluids through it.

I’ve been perusing the forum recently and have learned (roughly) what mods should be done for better reliability or performance (doohickey, airbox mods, etc). I reached out to the previous owner and he claims that the thing was bone stock to the best of his knowledge. That said, I know it’s got an after market ZeroGravity visor with a slap-on Revzilla sticker. Also, I believe I read somewhere that there’s a safety switch that prevents the bike from idling in gear while the kickstand is down, which I’ve tested and I believe it’s been bypassed. It also had stray wiring leading up to an aftermarket flip switch on the dash but was removed by my Father-In-Law’s mechanic who was also repairing an issue with a battery terminal clamp.

I’m kinda left hanging to figure out the bikes history on my own. The previous owner could be right and it could actually be stock, but the things I listed do make me curious as to whether any mods have been. I’d ask the mechanic but I don’t think I’ll be taking my bike back to him. He was supposed to clean/tweak the carb because it was struggling to idle and I don’t think he did anything with it (it has improved some with riding and it may just be the lean nature of these bikes), plus he dropped my bike which was PRISTINE and now it has light scuffing on the left fairing. I also tried letting my wife learn on it and she dropped it on the same side. No real increase in damage but I did notice that the fairing actually had a crack in it. At first I assumed it was my wife’s doing, but upon closer inspection, it almost looks like it was glued back together which would point to the mechanic trying to cover up some of the damage.

Long story short, what mods should I look for on the bike and what ways are easiest to check?

So far the bike seems to not be burning/leaking oil (fingers crossed) and whoever last did an oil change was smart enough to top the oil off to the top of the glass porthole.

Also, as a noob to motorcycles in general, what all fluids should I check and how (feel free to link me to previous conversations I may have missed when checking the forum). I know oil, maybe fork oil?, and I heard someone say something about oiling an air filter? Like I said, complete noob here. Anyways, I’m excited to be here and appreciate any guidance or wisdom that can be passed down to a new rider!

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,095 Posts
First, read this:

Engine oil level check is done with the bike straight up, not on the side stand. Be sure you checked it correctly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, read this:

Engine oil level check is done with the bike straight up, not on the side stand. Be sure you checked it correctly.
I did check it level! And thank you for the link!

·
Registered
2009 KLR 650
3 Posts
New to me 2009 KLR and new rider too. Last weekend did a new chain, oil and filter change, and EM Doo. Next up is likely fork oil, coolant change/inspect, and a new front tire. Raining here so didn’t get a chance to take it out this weekend.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New to me 2009 KLR and new rider too. Last weekend did a new chain, oil and filter change, and EM Doo. Next up is likely fork oil, coolant change/inspect, and a new front tire. Raining here so didn’t get a chance to take it out this weekend.
I hadn’t thought about coolant. I’ll add that to the list!

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
First, Welcome!!
Second, buy yourself a service manual and get familiar with the maintenance schedules, and the small DIY stuff.
The 2008 & 2009's have the oil burning issues (most of them) usually after 15,000 miles or so.... IF.... they are going to develop it at all. My 2008 started around 23,000 miles and I did a big bore kit to cure it. There are a few out there that have lots of miles on them, and no issues. Extended highway riding above the 5K RPM level adds to the issue, and there is a ton of knowledge on this site about oil burning issues, and how to cure it.

And last, ride it.
Get used to it, have fun with it, and put some miles on it to decide what YOU want from it, and what YOU think it needs.
We can all get caught up in the "well, I read that the XYZ mods are the best" or the always popular "Don't ride it until you ...." that makes you think the darn things going to blow up when you ride it.

(your post is making think of hosting a Tech Day now)

Jeff

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First, Welcome!!
Second, buy yourself a service manual and get familiar with the maintenance schedules, and the small DIY stuff.
The 2008 & 2009's have the oil burning issues (most of them) usually after 15,000 miles or so.... IF.... they are going to develop it at all. My 2008 started around 23,000 miles and I did a big bore kit to cure it. There are a few out there that have lots of miles on them, and no issues. Extended highway riding above the 5K RPM level adds to the issue, and there is a ton of knowledge on this site about oil burning issues, and how to cure it.

And last, ride it.
Get used to it, have fun with it, and put some miles on it to decide what YOU want from it, and what YOU think it needs.
We can all get caught up in the "well, I read that the XYZ mods are the best" or the always popular "Don't ride it until you ...." that makes you think the darn things going to blow up when you ride it.

(your post is making think of hosting a Tech Day now)

Jeff
Thank you Jeff! I’ll make sure to pick up a manual and I’m looking forward to continuing riding it!

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
I’ll make sure to pick up a manual and I’m looking forward to continuing riding it!
DO NOT purchase a used first edition OEM manual of part #99924-1384-01 from any where!
It is FULL of ERRORS. Don't even accept a Free One!

The #99924-1384-02 & up are perfectly fine. I prefer the OEM manuals to Clymers manuals.

Reactions: Toney

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DO NOT purchase a used first edition OEM manual of part #99924-1384-01 from any where!
It is FULL of ERRORS. Don't even accept a Free One!

The #99924-1384-02 & up are perfectly fine. I prefer the OEM manuals to Clymers manuals.
Hadn’t heard about that! Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
50 Posts
That mechanic sounds like a loser. He needs to repair what he messed up on your bike when he dropped it. If he's at a dealership, would they have a problem with it if you did similar damage to one of their bikes?

If he doesn't fix his damage or refund what you paid him, etc., then he's not a mechanic you want to go to again.

Welcome aboard, you've come to the right forum. Enjoy your new bike and ride safely.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That mechanic sounds like a loser. He needs to repair what he messed up on your bike when he dropped it. If he's at a dealership, would they have a problem with it if you did similar damage to one of their bikes?

If he doesn't fix his damage or refund what you paid him, etc., then he's not a mechanic you want to go to again.

Welcome aboard, you've come to the right forum. Enjoy your new bike and ride safely.
He isn’t at a dealership. He’s more of shade tree mechanic that does odds and ends repairs out of his shop/barn for my father-in-law. Long story short, my father-in-law bought the bike off an old family friend of mine because he knew how much I wanted it, but that I couldn’t afford it. He then dropped it off at his mechanic to get worked on along side his XR600R. Partway through the repairs, he offered to trade it to me in exchange for some mild plumbing work. Since the bike was still being worked on, ownership of the bike was essentially his until I went to pick it up. He was covering the costs of the repairs, too, and probably just told the mechanic to not worry about any small damage from dropping it.

I was already getting the bike as an absolute steal so I decided to just be grateful and not cause drama. Honestly, although the whole thing miffs me on principle, and I wish the bike still looked pristine, it is kinda nice being past the “keep it perfect” phase. Especially since this is my first official bike, I’m glad I don’t have to live in fear of dinging it.

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,095 Posts
Yeah, “don’t look a gift horse in the mouth.”

1 - 13 of 13 Posts