Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks!

New Member to the forum just wanted to say hi. After having two gen 1's over the years I just picked up a 2011 gen 2 that only had 275 miles on it, was a total steel!. So far I have replaced the front and rear springs to hold up my big guy stature I have also changed the grips and I have a set of Tusk crash bars awaiting to be installed.

Real happy having another KLR its just like my Jeep I can work on it! I live in the Republic of Socal so we get to pretty much ride all year round here, it's the only thing I love about California anymore.

Erik

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
Glad that you care to join us Erik.
KLR is a far throw from a Ducati, but they each have their issues, yes?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Looking forward to seein' another '11.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Duc!

Glad that you care to join us Erik.
KLR is a far throw from a Ducati, but they each have their issues, yes?
pdwestman,

Yeah the Ducati is quite a different ride then the KLR. I currently have a 2014 Pikes Peak Multistrada that is fantastic ride, however my riding roots come from the dirt and that is where I am truly happy riding. What I love about the KLR is its simplicity in riding and modding, I have just finished doing my rear spring and fork springs and just added a set of Tusk crash bars so next week I will be on the trails.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Springs.

What was your choice for the front and rear springs? How are they working out?
I went with the Racetech fork springs .70KG with 10WT fork oil very nice ride up front brake dive is a lot less even with a full tank of fuel. The rear shock all i did there was I installed the Topgun 8.0 spring i did this as this shock only had 274 miles on it when I bought the bike so I figured I would try a spring first before changing the entire unit. The new rear spring rides nice, before I had the preload on the stock spring maxed out and it was a little floppy with my 250lb butt on it. Now my preload is set at one with plenty of spring left for future luggage. Bike sits a little higher now and corners a lot better on the street, freeway is also real nice just have not had a chance to get in the dirt yet but I am loving the ride so far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts