Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

Bought my first bike a couple weeks ago, a 2017 KLR 650! I live on the east side of the Sierra Nevada in Mammoth Lakes, Ca. I am learning to ride while learning the bike all at once and, for me, this is the perfect bike for cruising 2 lane highways and forest service dirt roads in the area.

There have been some upgrades/modifications on this bike but what I am considering most at this time is what needs to be done with the carburetor now that the bike is living at 8,000 ft of altitude. I will often take it up to 10,000 ft on rides as well. Sounds like the airbox mod (snorkel removal) will be a great addition as well. Perhaps this will be enough without re-jetting? Anyone living at 7,500'+ that has experience to share? By the way, the bike was purchased in a town with an elevation of 250', nearly sea level, and has a stock carb setup.

I am sure I'll have more inquiries as time goes on but for now, happy to be here, and thanks for any input.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
6,860 Posts
Welcome to the forum, dMulli.

They all come from the factory with the same jetting & will run from sea level to 14,000 + feet as is.

Every normally aspirated internal combustion engine loses power with altitude, fact of life, even after re-jetting.

Ask yourself this, are you also going to ride Lower? If so you might leave it 'as is'. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems like KLR owners re-jet their carbs enough that it makes it hard to rule out as potentially beneficial altogether. What say you pdwestman? Why do ya think it gets done?

Thanks for the welcome. I may ride lower but 90% will be at 8,000' and up.

·
Premium Member
6,860 Posts
If you drill four 4, 1 to 1& 1/8th inch holes across the top of the dirty air box, along with the snorkel removal, to allow even freer breathing to your engine you may still find that you don't need to re-jet at your elevation and UP.

Wyoming has many passes in the 9,000 - 11,000 ft range and nothing below 3,300 ft.

Oh, by the way have you read this, https://www.klrforum.com/introductions/58921-dpelletiers-common-new-klr-owner-mistakes-avoid.html
Too Snug of drive chain & too Low of tire pressures Consumes horsepower.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Regarding carb jetting for high altitude - You might not find it necessary. I have a 2014.5 (Gen II) live at 5,280 feet, the bike spends most of the summer at around 9,200 feet, and we've done some of the higher passes (12,000+ feet) with stock jetting, no air box modifications, and no problem. I'm sure the modifications help, but I haven't found them to be necessary for my needs yet.

Have fun!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts