Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(Note: The administrator moved my initial post over to the 2008+ Tech and Mods subforum, where I am getting help chasing several issues, including a high speed weave/wobble that occurs at 65+ MPH. Go there to see the problem isolation and fixes in progress. I’m reposting a shorter intro here so I can be found in the Introductions.)

I bought a 2013 last week. I’m a newbie KLR owner, although I have ridden and owned many motorcycles over 45 years. My other bike is a 2017 Harley Electrglide. I’ve always had a hankering for a dual purpose bike. I did own a Honda XL600 for about a year in the early 80’s, but never did much exploring with it, so I sold it. Well, I moved to the great Pacific NorthWet last year (near Vancouver, WA), and figured now’s the time to scratch that itch again. Plenty of roads around here that are gravel, Forest Service, logging, etc. that would be impossible on a road touring bike.

So last week I picked up a 2013 KLR, 27,000 miles, with a bunch of mods already done to it. The seller was a serious offroad guy, so he spent thousands of bucks on a lot of things to improve its off road capabilites. And, as you might expect, it’s been ridden hard. It doesn’t have an unscratched panel on it. But it seems to have been well maintained. Here’s most of the list:

Jesse Luggage Challenger 45L Top Box
Jesse Luggage Oddesy 11 Panniers and mounting rack
Touratech Explore HP Rear Shock (with external preload adjuster knob)
Progressive Mono-tube Fork Cartridge Kit
K9 Fork Brace
SW Motech Skid Plate
SW Motech Tool Box
SW Motech Mirror Extenders
Doubbletake Mirrors w/ Ram 6in Extension
SW Motech Rear Brake Cylinder Guard
SW Motech Foot Pegs
SW Motech Center Stand
RoxRisers 1.5in
ProTaper Handle Bars
Oxford Heated Grips
KLR Dash
-2 12v Power Plugs
-Voltage Meter
-Aux Switch
2 Ram Balls on Handlebar Clamps
Givi Windscreen Support and Fairing reinforcement
MadStad Windscreen adjustable and flippable
KLR Tank Bags (2), one Brand New
New DID Xring Chain
New JD Sprockets, 15/43
Storm Bark Busters
DrySpec StashBox License Plate Holder
TechSpec Gripster Sport Tank Gips
Kaoko Throttle Locker
RotoPax 1.5 gal. Water and Gas and mounts
Rok Straps
Slider Rear Rack top box Disconnect
Wolfman Fender Bags
FMF Powercore 4 Slip on exhaust
Eagle Mfg. Suspension 2" Raising Links
Kickstand Extension (welded in)
Airbox Mod
Eagle Mike Doohickey

I have read many of the threads in this forum, on ADVRider, and several other sites, including Tom Schmitz’ Superdoo. But it seems this forum is the most comprehensive at this time. I’ve read about Paul W’s experiments and fixes for oil consumption, Tom’s various tests and analysis, and Dave Pellesier, and Damocles and lots of other prolific posters in this forum.
Since I’ve already passed my 15 post requirement for posting pictures, I’ll add some pics of my beast of burden here.

Thanks in advance for your help and fraternity.
219DF702-395B-4036-AC58-555F51773DA9.jpeg
72A9F7DA-B397-409E-88E2-C27FE29E9006.jpeg
5DD609D2-3446-4024-9B2F-606A5015E573.jpeg
2BD3E09A-7721-4402-A6ED-10D7B90190A7.jpeg
36CF844D-C7F5-4BB2-9C72-572D091C74AD.jpeg

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Wow, you scored a nice one PeteK. It’s got all the goodies to be sure. I wouldn’t mind having a similar setup but, I’m 66 this year and my camping days are done. Enjoy your new bike and welcome.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, “uncle” Dick, I ain’t that far behind you at 63! I camped at Sturgis the 4 times I’ve been there with my Electraglide, but this year I finally broke down and rented an RV trailer for the week. The RV company sets it up at the Buffalo Chip, you ride in, unpack, play and party for week, and then ride away. They come and get the trailer afterwards.

Very civilized. Very un-KLR.

But I bought a bike with all the accouterments because I want to have the capability to camp locally for up to a few days at a time, so I don’t have to ride home or to a motel overnight. I’m planning some fishing trips too.

·
Premium Member
3,043 Posts
A belated welcome and nice bike. Some nice mods there - I'd love to try that shock to see how it compares to the Progressive 465 and the three Cogent offerings. I'm particularly interested in how the Monotubes hold up as there have been some with issues. I also had a HD Electraglide (2010) but my wife decided she wasn't a fan of riding 2 up and I decided I was more interested in avoiding long distance highway trips so I sold it.....nice bike though and I didn't have a single issue with it despite the typical rhetoric to the contrary.

Dave

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave, you’re more than welcome to ride it and compare the suspension to yours if you’re ever on my neighborhood. Speaking of which, is the map of KLRF members working? I tried to click on it and the link took me to some Google site.

Yeah, the Electraglide is my pure touring bike, sort of the equivalent of a Chevy Suburban, unlike a KLR, which is kind of a Swiss ArmyKnife. if I’m gonna cover 1600 miles of superslab to get to Sturgis in 2 days, and carry all stuff I want for camping there, that's my tool of choice. As you know, they handle surprisingly well, considering they weigh more than 2 loaded KLRs!

·
Premium Member
3,043 Posts
Thanks, you never know. I've ridden portions of the WABDR and would like to do the whole thing sometime.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there a thread about WABDR and similar trails (Oregon BDR) in this forum somewhere? I’d like to look that up.

·
Premium Member
3,043 Posts
Not sure; there is the "regional forum sub group" with the Pacific Northwest as a catagory. Also the "group ride" and "meet up" forums.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts