Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I recently bought an 07 KLR 650 with 11k miles. Been tearing it apart becuase the last owner did not take car of it. Thing had less than half an air filter when I went to go look at it....

With some elbow grease I have gotten this bike where I am happy right now.

Things done so far!
Spark Plug
Panier Rack with Pelican knock offs from Harbor Freight
Oil/filter change + low profile oil plug
DEEP clean of the plastics and used some black plastic restoring product and it looks great from the fading.
Air filter - Uni filter :D
Chain clean and adjustment, then another adjustment because I went to tight at first (noob mistake I know)
Removed some decals that were peeling, only the gas tank decal is left and I want to remove that one cleanly next.
And I removed just about every plastic part I could find to clean grease out from everything I could reach.

Debating on replacing my blinkers soon, not sure which to go with but 2 have been broken and the JB weld will be fine but a replacement will be better. I like the LED ones but have seen some issues mentioned on those in some posts.

Also will be doing a Carb cleaning soon, but I was debating on a kit for the job, KLX upgrade from Eagle mike or just a straight cleaning.....decisions...

I also ordered a gas cap from ebay, had US shipping and was only $27...Might do a little post on that when it comes in to show what I got. But Kawasaki sure does love their OEM one at $90 (previous owner drilled out the key slot because it got stuck...yay screwdriver to fill up)

Anyway I look forward to all the information on this Forum and have utilized so many things already.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Welcome Odie, sounds like you’re on the way to some fun. 3dcycleparts has a blinker stalk delete on eBay or their site. And you don’t even need to clip the wires to install them.

Dick

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome Odie, sounds like you’re on the way to some fun. 3dcycleparts has a blinker stalk delete on eBay or their site. And you don’t even need to clip the wires to install them.

Dick
Oh man I just checked it out and that looks pretty great for under $20!

But I am afraid one of my lights was repaird with some JB Weld and it might be more trouble to do this mod now. I will look when I get home of the possibility regardless and thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Congrats!

I bought a wrecked 2011 that sat for two years and had it running in a day and legal in a week.

I chit you knot, drywall screws, SAE bolts, zip ties, rubber bands and a single Hella 500 for a headlight but that sucker passed.

I am working on it and riding it a lot. Replaced the fairing brace and then reinstalled the hammered fairing, headlights and cluster. Three turn signals were broke and one missing so I ordered the 3D kit mentioned above, right now zip ties hold three in place and the the fourth is temporarily a side marker bulb and socket from a Jeep.

I ordered a carb kit but it didn't arrive on time so I did a full clean and the .25 cent mod, it's a very simple carb and runs fine, I have not even opened the box the kit arrived in.

Here is my junk the week I had it legal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats!

I bought a wrecked 2011 that sat for two years and had it running in a day and legal in a week.

I chit you knot, drywall screws, SAE bolts, zip ties, rubber bands and a single Hella 500 for a headlight but that sucker passed.

I am working on it and riding it a lot. Replaced the fairing brace and then reinstalled the hammered fairing, headlights and cluster. Three turn signals were broke and one missing so I ordered the 3D kit mentioned above, right now zip ties hold three in place and the the fourth is temporarily a side marker bulb and socket from a Jeep.

I ordered a carb kit but it didn't arrive on time so I did a full clean and the .25 cent mod, it's a very simple carb and runs fine, I have not even opened the box the kit arrived in.
That is awesome on that find and getting it running! Glad mine was not in that condition but kudos.

After thinking some I am probably going to do just the Carb Cleaning with the 22 cent mod I have seen here. At least gets me into it and know how bad it looks. With only 11K I think I should be fine for now.

Just ordered some EBC brakes that will be in on Friday. Might end up doing the Carb when working on that unless I just cant stand not riding it! Looking for some light trails/dirt roads this weekend.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Be sure to post on the brakes, I use three fingers like I do on my N1000 but it takes significantly more effort. I would prefer pads with some better bite on the front, the rears lock up easily.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Be sure to post on the brakes, I use three fingers like I do on my N1000 but it takes significantly more effort. I would prefer pads with some better bite on the front, the rears lock up easily.
I will absolutely be posting my experience of the brakes to the "what you did to your KLR" thread. Hopefully it will go well and they will feel good. Heard nothing but praise for these pads.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Welcome! I'll chime in on this post! I had a smashed fuel cap, and if you look at my avatar(?) you'll see that I replaced the cover with a pickle jar lid! The thing vented poorly (not the pickles fault) and I gutted the vent diaphragm. I've seen the eBay caps and may go down that road because I get some poor sealing when the tank is full. The good news is that I finally got a key blank and cut a spare key. My cap was hard to undo (I've since lubed it up) and was terrified the single key would snap and I'd be starting my bike with a screwdriver....

Hey LSX_Cherokee - Nice Light.. Hah!

Any hints on how to get the stickers off the tank welcome. Not sure if the paint will always look like somebody took the stickers off and make me bummed that I did it. Scott

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
What is it that fails with the gas cap, exactly? Is there any maintenance that may prevent this? Are there parts that wear out?

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
welcome. have u done cherohala skyway yet?
tellico plains tn to robbinsville nc. headin up to greeneville tn jul 24th for a killer mountain ride weekend. enjoy your klr

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is it that fails with the gas cap, exactly? Is there any maintenance that may prevent this? Are there parts that wear out?
For me it was the locking mech locking up apparently. I imagine keeping the lock greased properly would be a good idea since is weathered so much. Other than that I have read about a little rubber diaphragm or gasket that can sometimes fail and cause issues with the pressure release on the tank. Hopefully I will have good luck with the new one.

welcome. have u done cherohala skyway yet?
tellico plains tn to robbinsville nc. headin up to greeneville tn jul 24th for a killer mountain ride weekend. enjoy your klr
I have vacationed on the skyway in the past, its absolutely beautiful up there, watch out for wildlife! I am still very new to the motorcycle scene so I have not planned any trips in that direction yet but I hope to soon.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Welcome Odie,

I am also new to the KLR but it's quickly become my favorite motorcycle, pavement or dirt road, it's just fun. So much fun that I put my other bike, a sharp SV 650 up for sale.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Jack Straw, did you find the SV not as dirt capable as the KLR? I’ve never ridden an SV but I’ve heard they’re very highway capable and smooth at any sane speed on the super slab. I’m glad you’ve come to the dark side, LOL

·
Registered
85 Posts
The SV is a fine bike but too much of a sport bike for me these days. It has a wonderful v twin and good power but the riding position just doesn't suit me. The suspension is kind of stiff with little travel. Compared to the KLR the SV is just not as comfortable for the riding I do.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
For me it was the locking mech locking up apparently. I imagine keeping the lock greased properly would be a good idea since is weathered so much. Other than that I have read about a little rubber diaphragm or gasket that can sometimes fail and cause issues with the pressure release on the tank. Hopefully I will have good luck with the new one.

I have vacationed on the skyway in the past, its absolutely beautiful up there, watch out for wildlife! I am still very new to the motorcycle scene so I have not planned any trips in that direction yet but I hope to soon.
we do deals gap and skyway together in a day trip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts