Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings KLR fans. Just sold my Honda CBR1000 and am trying to decide on another bike. After a bunch of research I'm definitely leaning toward a KLR. Went on a three day ride down the coast of California then to Yosemite this weekend and had a great time. I rented a Harley 1200 Sportster, and even though I'd never ridden a Harley, I was expecting the worst. But to my surprise it wasn't bad at all. But as I was passing dirt roads off the highway I kept thinking, "wouldn't it be cool to just see where the dirt goes." Got me thinking of the KLR again.

Anyway, I live in Elk Grove (near Sacramento), California. Race Vintage and Post Vintage moto-cross, and like to practice on my 2006 YZ250F. If there are any KLR groups/riders near Sacramento I'd like to hear from you. Thanks.

·
Registered
989 Posts
i could see myself on a rented sportster :twisted: . dirt,water crossings,more dirt,rocks..i'd have a ball!! :lol:

i'm here in elk grove too. come on over and ride the klr some time. i'm outta town this weekend,but next weekend might work.

my name is rob by the way,ignore the screen name..everybody else does. :lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Rob and Jamie for the welcome. I was searching around for KLR prices and there's a place in the Bay Area (Oakland) that has new '06 KLR 650 (green) for $5,199 out the door (taxes, all fees etc.). That seems pretty good. I guess they have two businesses in the Bay Area and a couple of more in So. Cal. I'm not sure if they're an actual dealership or an internet business. Anybody ever had any dealings with them? Opinions?

Rob, it's cool to know someone in Elk Grove with a KLR. I'd like to hook up and take a look at it. Thanks again. sparker (Steve). :D

·
Registered
650 Posts
There's a bike for sale that has everything but doors and a sunroof , for sale @ $4,700...

If you got cash..

and... Hey Sparky , Welcome Aboard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New KLR owner

I was really looking for a KLR with doors and a sunroof. :) Didn't want to have to add them later.
Actually, I just got back from Roseville (California) Kawasaki, and I'm now the proud new owner of a '07 KLR 650. It's silver and black. Hope nobody confuses me for a Oakland Raider fan. Anyway, I pick it up tomorrow, and I'm mucho excited. Hope to be a regular here. sparker

·
Registered
284 Posts
Well congratulations Sparker!! We all sense that if you are guilty of anything its NOT BEING WISHYWASHY...LOL!! :lol:

There is an unwritten rule here.... buy a new bike... you must show PICTURES!!! Redeem thyself.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Awesome! I'm a bit jealous. I'm pretty familiar with the KLR at this point but can rememer that those first few heady days of ownership are tooooo fun!
Conratulations!
Jamie

·
Registered
477 Posts
Wow, that was quick,
Congrats on the new ride and welcome aboard, and yes, we will need to see pics....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Speaking of being excited, my wife is out of town until the 21st. Won't she be excited to find a new bike in the garage when she returns. :D That's what she gets for leaving me alone.

I'll try to post some pics, but I'm a techno-tard, so we'll see. I'll definitely post my riding impressions. I think I'm pretty realistic about what I'm getting. Have done a bunch of research before buying. I have no desire to go fast on the street on in the dirt anymore, but I know the KLR will be perfect for reliably exploring some Sierra fireroads and Delta twisties. I'm like a kid at Christmas....just can't wait to take it for a blast. Thanks for the welcome. Sparker

·
Registered
173 Posts
Welcome, Sparker! Enjoy the honeymoon!

Errrmm... she doesn't know??? You're a very brave man. I know what would happen if I bought a new bike while Herself was away....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My wife kinda, sorta knows. She at least knows that I was thinking about it. I framed it by telling her about the 7.9% interest rate from Kawasaki for 24 months. I told her that I'd sell a couple of my vintage bikes before the two years was up. She was ok with that, but I left it open ended. Besides, if she gets too upset I'll just take a ride on the KLR down the coast for a couple of days unti she cools off. A win win situation. :D Sparker

·
Registered
989 Posts
sparker said:
Besides, if she gets too upset I'll just take a ride on the KLR down the coast for a couple of days unti she cools off. A win win situation. :D Sparker
a man after my own heart. :lol:

heard about the doohicky?

don't let the dealer touch the bike. joe and i have a stack of valve shims when you're ready to check the valves just give a holler.

congrats on the new bike!!!

8)

·
Registered
650 Posts
sparker said:
, my wife is out of town until the 21st.
You could make it to Redding Techday on Sat and have a look see inside a motor, ask all the questions you want, and ..AND.. get the 500 miles on in one fell swoop ! :D

it's a perfect plan !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Larryboy, I have heard of the doohickey, and plan on installing/replacing as soon as the bike's broken in. Will adjust the valves then, and getting all the up to date info from you guys would be helpful. I've looked pretty carefuly at most of the topics on the board, but figured I'd wait until I finally got one to get specifics about maintinance and mods. Thanks for the help. Sparker.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
theotherbigjoe, I don't think I'll make it to Redding. After getting my KLR today and bragging about it, one of my buddys is going to get one on Saturday morning. He's a former pro MX rider and I've explained to him the KLR's pros, cons and limitations. I picked mine up today at 1:00 pm, and after checking all the nuts and bolts I packed up a bag with a heavy jacket, water, cell phone, tool kit, tire repair kit, Cliff Bars, first aid kit, and space blanket just in case. Went from Sacramento up to Pollock Pines on back roads and across Iron Mountain Road toward Highway 89. Took a couple of dirt roads I've been passing for years on my street bike. Went awhile on a couple of jeep trails too. What a kick in the pants. Nothing too difficult, and kept it under 4000 rpm. Rode back to Sac, and now have 151 miles on the bike. What a blast. Wish I could call in sick tomorrow, but will be out on the road (asphalt and dirt) on Saturday morning.

What do you guys recommend as far as break in? I only got it over 4000 rpm once to check the acceleration, and I was pretty impressed. Overall, the bike is as much or more than I expected. The fun factor is +10. :D :D :!: Thanks. Sparker.

·
Registered
650 Posts
sparker said:
What do you guys recommend as far as break in? I only got it over 4000 rpm once to check the acceleration, and I was pretty impressed. Overall, the bike is as much or more than I expected. The fun factor is +10. :D :D :!: Thanks. Sparker.
Most believe the motoman break in is the way to go. Hard exceleration. hard decels. never in a constant RPM range. Change the oil/filter today. and again at 500.

Theres' lots of mods that you can do, that cost little. Adjusting the Pilot screw is one. 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 turns from seated will get rid of the stock lean condition and the stumble at take off. There's lots of other tips that will help get the most power from a stock bike.

Most of this info has'nt been put up here yet. Keep asking your questions in the "wrenching section" and you'll get all the best info.

Larryboy and I will be doing Henness Pass next month. it's about 75 miles from nevada border to comptonville. 90% dirt road. lots of Trails. :D

teaser pics.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Congrat's on the the KLR beastee! An welcome to the island of the lost boys (and girls) with the misfit toys.. er forum that is.

Don't forget the flowers and candy, and maybe a night on the town for the mrs' when she gets home...

I hate to hear about those stories of estranged dudes living with the KLR in a tent. Its fun occasionally, but not so fun if it's your only home! :p

Ride on...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts