Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,006 Posts
Rodney from Indiana, just bought a 2014 KLR today, have a 2009 voyager, I do ironbutt rides and wanted a second bike to try my hand at adventure riding. Have been riding on the street for 26 yrs, I've been told this is going to be the most fun bike that I've ever had, looking forward to finding out, I ride about 15k miles a yr so hope to split the duties between my two bikes.
Only TWO bikes,
Come on Rodney, ya' got a wife that wants new curtains or sumthin'?

·
Premium Member
12,006 Posts
Hello All! I picked up a new 2016 KLR650 in December and I have almost 2000 miles on it so far. I absolutely love this bike! I'm 53 and haven't ridden in over 30 years until now. It's so good to get back on a bike again. I researched for months (including this forum) before deciding on the KLR. I'm confident I made the right decision. Haven't had many opportunities to ride on anything but pavement so far, but hoping warmer weather will change that. The bike is pretty much stock except for the Dirtracks crashbars I added to it. I keep reading about the doohickey, but as far as I can tell, that problem was solved with the 08+ models. Is that true and how does one know if their doohickey is failing? With everything I've read, that's the only thing that concerns me with this bike.
KyMan64,
Welcome to the forum. Hope you continue to enjoy the riding and the reading.
As to the doo-hickey, I'll start you off with a Tom Schmitz video,
http://www.klrforum.com/2008-klr650...ed-gen2-bikes-right-ah-but-spring-spring.html

Have a good week! Daylight savings time and Spring are fast approaching.

·
Premium Member
12,006 Posts
I'm the San Antonio area. Last week I a bought an '08 KLR from a co-worker. He had a friend who said he could replace the clutch plates and while working on it stripped out one of the bolt holes in the clutch basket. So it sat with the right side cover off for two years before I bought it for $600. I bought a complete used clutch from ebay for $70, ordered new seals for the water pump, ordered a pair of tires, a mirror, new grips, a battery, and clutch lever. Brakes have good pads and the bearings (wheels, stem and swing arm) feel good. All 4 of the turn signal arms were broke, so for now I just unplugged them and pulled them off.

Parts are finally showing up and I'm going to start putting it back together tomorrow. Ought to be a good time.

I've been riding for over 40 years. Started out on a Honda Elsinore in the 60s (wish I had that bike now). This is my second KLR. My first was a 1984 KLR 600.

I wanted to get on here because there is so much to learn about this bike and this seems like a knowledgeable and fun bunch of people.
It seems pretty sad that the friend of the friend, was not a good enough friend to either purchase a new clutch basket or at least a Heli-coil kit and repair his error two years ago.
Good to hear it's going to be resurrected.

While you are in there you could improve the oiling system as seen here,
http://www.klrforum.com/386018-post412.html

Welcome to the forum. :)

·
Premium Member
12,006 Posts
I understand drilling the banjos will increase flow, but what about pressure? Is the KLR a high flow/low pressure system or a low flow/high pressure system? The old Shovels and Pans were a low pressure system and this would work fine since they used a lot of roller bearings, but if the pressure drops too much will the oil still feed the bronze bushings in the head?
Yes, the KLR is high flow/low pressure system.
That was the whole reason for the beginning of the PDW mods, to reduce the flow volume to the underside of the piston. To possibly reduce oil consumption.
It is a roller bearing bottom rod bearing and roller/ball main bearings.

So once we give the excess oil a place to go via the banjo bolts to the head and transmission, we can restrict the volume to the crankshaft, which further increases pressure to the head and trans. Even thou more pressure is Not needed.
As performed here, http://www.klrforum.com/386418-post418.html

This link is even better, more complete and polished.
Paul Westman's Mods to Fight Oil Burning

Reactions: blushovl

·
Premium Member
12,006 Posts
pdwestman, Thanks, I like this. I also didn't realize pressures got that high in a KLR. Another good side effect of more oil into the head will be slightly lower head temps and that's always a good thing in South Texas.

Looks like it will be a little longer before the bike is back on the road. :)
The oil pressure is only high when the oil is cold. The pressure subsides with temp.
Normal hot oil pressure in the main gallery is about 10-12 pounds at 4000rpm @ 195f. Only 1-3 pounds at hot idle.

With my oil flow mods Tom Schmitz and I are both running cam banjo fitting 0-15 psi gauges.
http://www.klrforum.com/1987-2007-wrenching-mods/26490-camshaft-oil-pressure-2hr-ride-data.html

Reactions: blushovl

·
Premium Member
12,006 Posts
coolbronco,
I'll suggest that you purchase a replacement harness for 1990-2005 KLR650-A series, new about $215 or ebay used $50-100.
The 1990 & up harness has a fuse for the fan near the coolant reservoir. Other than that, I think identical.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
12,006 Posts
Hello all. New to forum. New to adventure biking. Location Olympia, WA. Recently purchased a 2015 KLR, miles 12,800, price $4350.00. So far ridden around 300 miles mostly in Capital Forest some single track but primarily forest service roads. I plan on riding the WABDR this summer.
Bike included:
Rekluse Clutch
Cogent Dynamics front and rear shocks
Scotts Performance Steering Damper
SW Motech skid plate and crash bars
Tusk HD Aluminum Dual Sport Adventure Panniers
Pivot Pegz
Pro Taper Bars
Lithium ion battery
Heat Demon heated grips
Eagle Mfg. Fork Brace
Eagle Mfg. Doohickey
Sub-frame bolt upgrade
Sargent Seat
Dunlap D606 back
Pirelli MT21 front

Recently added:
Tusk D-Flex Pro Handguards
KLRDASH Loaded Lower Dash Kit
Watt-Man Thermo-Bob 2
Watt-Man Coolant Temperature Face Lexan Overlay
Kawasaki Trans Tank Bag
Wow! $4350 Loaded to the hilt with extras, for a 2015. Ya' Stole it! :)

Welcome to the forum, blhend!

·
Premium Member
12,006 Posts
:)
Pretty please???
It's great to have you introduce yourself, but we also would like to know where you're from, too!!

If you're shy, you don't even need to post your town, but at least what part of the country you're from.. That way people in your area can get to know you, or even better, meet you!!!
Ya' want to know what is kinda' funny about post #1 of this thread?

The OP, "Paper" didn't even supply his OWN Location! Or maybe he has since 'deleted it',

Go to "User CP" / "Edit",

Paper is still with us, he last visited Jan. 2019.

The member location information makes it easier when members need to discuss cooling system idiosyncrasy's or issues and carburetor jetting.

·
Premium Member
12,006 Posts
Hello,

How can I change my screen name. It wouldn't let me create an account with just my email so I hit join via facebook. I would like my screen name to be: Toad Moto.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks and I'm excited to be part of this community.
Try going to "Tools" in the top tool bar, then "User CP".

Welcome to the forum, Toad Moto.

·
Premium Member
12,006 Posts
I'm new to this forum and the KLR. Looks like there is a ton of information packed in these pages.

Are there any active riders / mechanics in the Southern NH area?
We had a very active member from NH. If I recall correctly his handle was "larry36".

I cannot find his handle in the members list currently. He was older & had some health issues and possibly has past.
He would have known.

I have been missing his riding videos. :crying:

IIRC, his business was 'House of Powers' a audio / video recording business.

·
Premium Member
12,006 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Gerrrie. We had a very active member from your country a few years ago, @Dualthing Click on his highlighted name to find his many ride reports and pics that I/we used to enjoy.

·
Premium Member
12,006 Posts
Hi, Mike here from Canada

Just purchased a 2001 KLR650 C ? (the ''sportier?'' version) with around 35,000km for 1500$CAD or about 1200$USD.

The bike is rufffffff around the edges, no mods, all stock. I just orderer an acerbis front fender, turn signals, etc.

I need;

-More information regarding the klr650c version? i can't seem to find alot of info concerning that model and what fits/what to do
-Do I REALLY have to do the doohickey thing ahah? The ex owner said it has to be done eventually, it's been driven hard for 35,000km with no issue I mean...

I'm open to suggestions, info, anything that can help ! Also I would like to know how to post pictures so you guys can see my ugly ride!
Welcome to the forum MikeLop.

Have you read this YET? https://www.klrforum.com/introductions/58921-dpelletiers-common-new-klr-owner-mistakes-avoid.html

Yes, you Really Probably Should install the EagleMike Doo-Hickey & Torsion Spring.
Because you do not know how often the system had been allowed to attempt adjustment and even if they had it could have been done incorrectly which can Increase the Likelyhood of Failure.

Pics will be ALLOWED easier after you achieve 15 total postings, an anti-spammer requirement. Works really well.

Use the User Control Panel to add more info about yourself & your bike.

·
Premium Member
12,006 Posts
Hi there my name is Gus. I live in Las Cruces, NM. That means I can ride year round! It does get a little hot during June, July and August but only between 1pm - about 6pm.

I bought my first KLR 4 months ago (it's a 2006). I rode it quite a bit until the clutch gave out a couple of weeks ago. The old clutch kit had 8 carbon plates and 7 steel - new kit has 7 carbon plates and 6 steel - I haven't figured out why the difference. I ordered a manual today to help solve issue- it should arrive next week.

I am doing everything possible to fix it ASAP because I love it! I love the way it rides on the road and off road.

I have a lot of riding plans for this summer (as much as Coronavirus allows). My plans include a ride to Moab and Colorado.

I love my KLR!!
Tom Schmitz laid out the ground work on this forum, But he Finished it on his Souperdoo site.

You purchased the Wrong clutch kit for the wrong model year is my guess.

https://www.souperdoo.com/stuff tha...-klr650-clutch-expose-what-were-they-thinking

1 - 20 of 80 Posts