Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 816 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts

I bought a KLR about 11 months ago, live just outside Concord, NH. I do most of my riding early spring and late fall, I work at summer camp so I am "stuck" on an island for the summer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
here's johhnie v, i'm living in southeast pa. just north of phila. glad to be on board. will pick up my 08 klr 650 later this week and am looking forward to being back in the saddle after many as a cage driven animal. planning to take lots of local to mid range on/off road adventures with my new bike and am glad to have such a large family of friends to share and learn from. first ? is what people think of extended warranties and the wisdom of tire/rim insurance? the extended is $370.00 for 2 years( 3 total with 1st year given free) and i think the tire one is close to $270.00 for three years. terms are pretty inclusive for both and transferable. i think they are standard kawa. offerings. that's pretty much for now, i don't have to commit until i actually pick up the bike. looking forward to any opinions. thanks, johnnie

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hello from Indiana, I am the proud owner of a Green machine. I have had harleys and others but quit riding years ago. All but 1 of my friends still ride hogs, and I have access to them when ever, fat boys , street glide {I like}etc.I bought my KLR due to gas prices hitting $3.00. for the ride to work and my boys are in the scouts. The high gas prices sealed the deal ,at 3$ it pays for itself and puts 60.00 a month in your pocket .which is quickly spent by the wife! She loves to ride but not on the klr.I am trying to aquire a Victory King pin for us. My mods include just a night vision box with back pad on the rack that I am able to install a fishing rod tube on one side and a gun rack on the other..Have dog will hunt!All my riding buds love to ride ther HD's with me ! I am going to install pipe and other mods this spring. Looking for a pipe that is not to LOUD! Any suggestions wba. I love this thing 5500miles on a stock seat this yr. NO in doesn't just sit in garage an look pretty! LET'S RIDE!

·
Registered
3 Posts
New on KLR

I just buy a KLR today it 2000 edition,
And i am a hunter first,a biker in second.
I love riding this bike, it not like those other bike.
enjoy to read you soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Talk about the new guy, giving up the racing lifestyle and wanting to get on something else. Raced speedway bikes for years, now giving that up for a more "relaxed ride". Havent gotten a KLR but in the market for one. Here on the coast of washington, just like everywhere else, o.k., almost everywhere, this sort of riding will fit just fine. Not to computer savy so hang with me.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hello there. Los Angeles native since 1969, moved to Cincinnati in. 95 but moving back to Calif. I need my year round riding weather and legal lane splitting. First bike was an XL100. Never took the MSF course. I learned from the school of hard knocks. First ride in the rain (1985) and too much front brake made me do a superman impression/break dance on the pavement. I learned not to do that again. Haha. Been riding sport bikes in canyons since 86 with oodles of free tickets from the MAN. Track days would have been cheaper. Got my KLR650 in 95 and mostly been working hard and long hours with little riding time. Just turned 40 last month. US Army vet 86-88 Germany. I've ridden in Spain, Germany and Beijing

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi, my name is joe, just bought a 2001 klr 650 , i really am enjoying this thing!! i am a little paranoid about this "doohickey" so i need to replace it asap, if there is anyone close to the mississippi gulfcoast that has some knowledge on its replacement and would like to help out please drop me a line. thanks, joe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Slow introduction

Sorry all for not doing this sooner. I bought an 08 KLR in November and signed up then. Just now getting around to this. So yeah, My name is Patrick and I live in Portland Oregon. Look forward to seeing you all out on, and off the road.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Longview, WA

Longview, WA here. Looking to buy an '08, I have an offer on the line for a black and silver '07 with 850 miles. $4600. I'm stuck between the two. The newer upgrades are enticing. Is the Dohickey going to be a problem on the '08s? I hear the brakes are better. I've ridden 2-stroke dirt bikes 87 cr500 when I was a kid, and then a 92 Ninja 7R. Sold them both and just want to get back into riding the roads and trails. I'm 36, with a family and so this might be my right of passage to the freedom we're all looking for. Drop me a line and let me know if you're game for some adventure...

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
welcome aboard Jimbo......

The 08's are becoming more and more popular, with some nice upgrades over the older models. As for the doohickey, Kawasaki did do an improvement on the piece, but it is still posing a problem with some broken ones, and or also the same ole issue with broken OEM doohickey springs. For the $40 it cost, we just find it easier to go ahead and replace them and ride worry free. My buddy and I were at a dealer close by a few days ago, they had an 08 "red" listed for $4999 and an 07 B/S with 700 miles for $3700 there abouts. Obviously I don't know how the prices compare in your neck of the woods, but this is typical around here. Keep us posted with what you end up with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For the FNG on board (just foound the website 10 min ago!) where do I fill out the profile?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just picked up a used '06 - in my favorite color...you guessed it - KLG (Kawasaki LIme Green!). Guess I'll get used to it - or trade it in on a new blue 08. 29 years in Army green, Apache helicopter pilot stationed in Heidelberg Germany. Also own 02 BMW R1150RT, daughter rides Yamaha PW80, son is on PW50. Sold my YZ250F 6 months ago because you HAVE to trailer it anytime you want to ride it...unless you live at the MX track, I don't, so joyously returned to the Dual purpose world (Sold my 02 BMW Dakar in 04 to get the RT).

First technical question...what is the aftermarket exhaust of choice in the KLR world. Must be forestry approved and prefer not to re-jet if possible.

D2

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just Joined!

Greetings to everyone, glad I finally found you guys, I knew you were out there somewhere. ( I could hear you breathing! ) My name is Marty, I currently live in Toomsboro, Georgia. ( about 25 miles south of Macon ) I bought my KLR in Sept. 2006. (I ordered it Sept. 2006 and got it in Feb. 2007.) I also ordered the Kawasaki green with black and recieved the Red with silver. I love it anyway, and accepted it from the dealer. I was in Milan, Italy on company business about two years ago and was not really in the market for another bike. When I stepped off the plane, I was overwhelmed at the sheer number and diversity of the bikes there. I observed many dual sport bike in as many different configurations as you can imagine. I was hooked and order my KLR as soon as I got back!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Howdy From Joplin, Missouri! I Join This Forum About Two Weeks Ago & Purchased An 01 Klr About 3 Weeks Ago With 23,000 Miles. Bike Needed A Bit Of Work, But Runs Good. With Help From This Forum I Was Able To Replace The Oil And Mechanical Seal In The Water Pump Assembly. It Had A Small Constant Drip From The Weep Hole Under The Water Pump. Once I Got The Pump Cover & Impeller Off I Could See The Problem. The Seal Had Cracked And Allowed Oil To Seap Through. After A Few More Minor Repairs. I'm Looking Forward To Riding! It Has Been A Bit Over 20 Years Since I Have Owned A Dual Sport Bike. I Had A 81 Honda Xl500 (wheelie Machine) And A 85 Kawasaki Klr600. Most Of My Riding Will Be On The Road, Mixed In With A Bit Of Dirt Roads And Trail Riding. This Forum Is Great To Help With Repairs And Service. Thanks For All Who Contribute!

Dugklr
Rides:
2003 Hd Flht Electra Glide
2002 Buell Blast
2001 Klr650
1995 Honda Cb1000

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just joined as well

I have an '06 klr that I ride mainly on the highway's around Nebraska. The furthest trip I have been on is to Yellowstone and this bike is perfect for such a trip. I am just over 6200 miles and have no issues whatsoever. The mileage is great and the ride is fairly smooth for a dual sport. I am looking foward to trips to the Rockies of Colorado and Wyoming as I am only 4-5 hours ride time from each location. Bikes in my shop:

'83 Suzuki SP500
'85 Honda XR600R
'87 Yamaha Venture
'84 Kawasaki 550LTD

·
Registered
2 Posts
New Guy

Hi All,

I am new to the forum, from Austin Texas, living in Round Rock now, and have been a KLR fan for years without owning one. Experience: Started riding at 9, racing at 10, (motocross), Worked for Austin Kawasaki at 14 assembling new motorcycles, have been a Kawa fan the entire time, with occasional "wants" in other areas. Trying to figure out the different forums, and how to move around.

Burton

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have had my 07 KLR for 13 months and use it for commuting and am starting to ride on weekends with friends. The more I ride the more I enjoy it. Only dislike is the uncomfortable seat. I am from Virginia. Very informative forum.
TOWERMIJ

21 - 40 of 816 Posts