Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 816 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Try one of the ATV seat covers from your local WalMart. Run about $15....Makes a difference... Normally the WalMart here carries them, but ran out over a month or so ago and haven't restocked them.
This is what mine looks like with my field crutch on the seat.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The corbin flat is the best seat IMAO

·
Registered
37 Posts
new klr650 owner

just bought my 1st bike(08 klr650) i receivd my permit last week and have started saving a few bucks. i drove to work fri and took a day trip to the dirt sat.. I need to learn alot but am on my way.i found that the dirt helped me get more familiar w/ the bike (clutch-hill starts etc..). I drove it about 20 more miles today and found that i feel even more comfortable than i did fri.

I can let all new owners know that the best place to learn is off road. I am looking forward to reading the post to learn more and more. This bike is so much fun i can only hope w/ experience i will only keep increasing the fun..

·
Registered
106 Posts
Picking up a Red 08 KLR 650 on Friday June 6th if everything goes according to plan.

Real name is Tim
Tifford is a nickname given to me by one of my brothers.

In the past I've rode a cx honda 500 and a vulcan 750. The Honda rode like a dream and even though it was already an old bike at the time it never let me down. The fairly new vulcan I had fell a part on me.

Things I like to do.
Mostly typical guy stuff:
-Working on a kit cobra and might finish up this summer.
-I've followed the Steelers since I was a kid.
-Mostly conservative views.
-Camping, is there anything else?
-Hike
-use to canoe a lot
-I tend to stay busy
-Read. When I have the time
-Take Photos
-Meet new people
-Hang out at cool pubs and hoist a pint or two
-Growing up I just about lived in the woods and did small stuff on a dairy farm.

Some personal stuff
-Divorced
-No kids but I have a cool older dog and even older but just as cool cat.
-Straight as an arrow
-6 foot
-masters degree that was a PITA to get.
-I like having good clean fun
-I drink but I'm so anti drug it isn't funny
-Laid back to the max.

Where I have been:
-21 year in Way UpState NY. Think 10 minutes from Canada and VT.
-MA for one year
-NH for a summer
-The arm pit of the nation called Henderson NC for a bunch of years
-Greenville SC for a year

Hobbies
-Use to be a killer ping pong player
-Decent in chess
-building a car
-working on a book (part time)
-average in tennis but I like to play
-Play guitar
-Will listen to most anything music wise.....can't stand rap
-will lend a hand in building houses
-Love to grill
-Like to target shoot with rifles and bow

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Tim
Jim here. Where did you live in upstate NY. I am originally from Plattsburgh, Cumberland Head. Went to Beekmantown Central High School.
I have an 07 KLR 650 Red have had it for 13 months. Use to commute 30 miles one way to work. I really enjoy it.:character0029:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I went to school at Saranac. Got a two year degree from Clinton Community and then on to Plattsburgh State U. Gotta love that downtown area. Many bars/pubs with in walking distance.

Uncle had a 350 acre farm that I worked on/ hunted on/ fished on. Great place for a kid to grow up. The winters make you tough that's for sure. As a kid I had my Dad pile snow in the middle of the yard, spray it lightly with a hose, wait for it to freeze which wasn't long, dig out the center and you'd have an igloo.

Lots of things to do up there. Fish Lake Champlain......hike the 46 mountains....Lake Placid......then there is Saranac Lake. Canada is a short hop skip and a jump away. Tubing down rivers. BB gun war fare in the woods. Jumping off of bridges into the Saranac river. Camping out on Valcour Island with friends, getting smashed and being stupid.

Lots of fantastic memories.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Newbie Sign-in

I live in Rutland,VT. I just bought a 08 KLR. Had to have the KACR pin ground (done with a Dremel at my high tech authorized service center)so it would start on these cold Vermont mornings. Temp Gauge still doesn't work but I figured I'ld get it looked at at the 500 mile service. This is my second KLR. Bought a 95 a few years back for $900 dollars and it was a little cumbersome for my dirt riding and a little rough for my 50 mile one-way commute. Sold it a few years later for the same price and 6 months later moved 2 miles from work and was kicking myself for letting it go. I am not into iron butt though I do enjoy adventurous trips. I am not a great off road rider but enjoy doing it and probably will be more inclined to do so as the new wears off. I am looking forward to seeing posts about new accesories as they appear. Right now I am looking for a Givi set up for my bike that would still let a second rider on. Looking forward to hearing about any local rides also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Retired in 06 after 24 years of military service. Now work as service manager of a Motor Sports Dealership in Idaho. Funny thing is we don't sell Kawasaki, got my 2006 from the dealership, it was a trade. Only had 2100 miles and its 60 miles round trip a day to work, so I am packing the miles on it. Its a great ride for around here, and love running the mountain fire roads on my way home. Hope to meet up with some others in the area who like to do the same.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just got a blue '08 after having an '86 KLR 600 for about 10 years. When I saw an '08 in the showroom at Freeport (IL)Honda/Kawasaki, I knew it was time to update. So far, the only planned farkle (I've lurked here for a while) is a louder muffler. The 600 had a Supertrapp that just sounded so good.
Other motorsports I'm involved with are a V-8 Ranger that I drag race occasionally in "True Street" type classes, and a MM G-1000 pulling tractor that I pit crew for.
I'm really looking forward to becoming part of the community here.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
When I saw an '08 in the showroom at Freeport (IL)Honda/Kawasaki, I knew it was time to update.
Welcome, and also welcome neighbor!!:)

I've been a customer of FHK since they started, and I actually worked with Scott Blumer at Monroe Truck Equipment, long before he started FHK.

I've bought a few bikes there over the years, and have them do some service for me, also... Good folks..

There's a few others here that are well aquainted with FHK, from all directions surrounding Freeport.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
O.K. so I am going to buy my first KLR in the morning! All of my other bikes have been cruisers, so I was wondering about any tips for break in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been in the coast guard for over 9 years now and and just getting back from GTMO. I now live in Alabama and am trying to find a job so my wife and I do not have to live on her parents couch. Oh well. I have been riding for around 6 years and am new to the KLR, so I hope to get some good info from all of you.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Welcome aboard coastie...

There seems to be two ways most people will prescribe to, for break-in. The factory suggested way, of 600 miles 4000 RPM and under.
Then there is the way of simply riding it the way you plan on riding it, just be mature in the manner of not gunning it hard or running right up to the redline, let it enging break and then run back up into the RPM's letting it pull hard and good. There seems to be a split on oil useage depending on either style of break-in. I think it just boils down the luck of the draw. My 07 has used oil since day one, my buddies 05 doesn't use a drop. My other buddy has an 07 does not use oil, and lastly another yet with an 08 that does use some oil like mine. As long as I am aware of the situation, I don't mind it. Of course I do see a lot of RPM's around the 5k mark and above at times, and that lends to oil useage too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New Member in Utah.

Greetings: I just picked up a used KLR 650 that is red in color and 353 miles on it. Has saddle bags, rear trunk bag, gas tank bag, and handlebar bag. $4,700. Is that a good deal or what! I'm stoked! Can't wait to get out there and put some miles on it.

My real name is Keith and I live in Cedar City, UT. Close to a lot of mountain trails and wildlife. My buddy has the same bike so we are going to get together and hit the trails. I've been reading some of the comments on the first service. Our dealer hear want over $300.00 for the first service! Sounds a little steep for me. I think I will do my own! Got to go! Happy Trails

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys this is Big Don Hinman,livin in upstate NY outside a little city called Utica. Had a couple of bikes when i was a kid and finaly going back on two wheeles. Brings me back to life!!Purchased a 07 red with some extras, low miles and i had to go to PA to get it. Very hard time finding bike in NY. This site is great, been visiting for a while and decided to join. lookin forward to going on some nice rides we have a ton of fire roads and state lands to ride in, anybody close give me a shout

·
Registered
11 Posts
Abilene Texas 08 KLR

Joined today. I ride an 08 with 6000 miles and I'm looking for day and weekend riders. Side racks and panniers should be here next week.

·
Registered
6 Posts
New to site, hey from Texas

Wanted to say hi. I'm from Northeast Texas near Arkansas and Oklahoma. I ride a 07 KLR red/silver i've had for a little over a year but just started enjoying it within last few months.

41 - 60 of 816 Posts