Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

761 - 780 of 826 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Howdy folks, I hail from Northwest Montana. Been a lurker here now and then, but never registered until recently.

The "other site" that I frequented for the last 15+ years has locked the doors, so here I am. I'd like to support it, but, it all seems a little indignant. To each their own ya do what ya gotta do I guess. I think the other site has sealed it's own doom. I imagine there has been some growth in traffic here over the last few months.

Anyway, enough of that. This will be my new spot for the KLR addiction. Riding on a 2003 that I've had since 2005. Mostly dirt riding now with my boy on his TTR110.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A new member from NW of Houston TX.

I just snagged a 2011 KLR on Saturday. I already hit a forest road and took it a tiny bit offroad to snag a couple of pictures of it. After riding bikes for years, owning sport bikes, a standard, and cruiser, I have finally found my kind of bike!

·
Premium Member
6,841 Posts
A new member from NW of Houston TX.

I just snagged a 2011 KLR on Saturday. I already hit a forest road and took it a tiny bit offroad to snag a couple of pictures of it. After riding bikes for years, owning sport bikes, a standard, and cruiser, I have finally found my kind of bike!
What took you SO Long? Dirt riders make better street riders. Motorcyclists make better drivers! Welcome to the forum.

Have you read this yet? https://www.klrforum.com/introductions/58921-dpelletiers-common-new-klr-owner-mistakes-avoid.html

Reactions: Photog650

·
Registered
117 Posts
used to post to KLR650 forum years ago (yahoo??) good to be back as the kids are grown and the A16 is still running strong. got a couple hundred miles in this year in gray cloudy Minnesota. ride safe

line6distortion

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Everyone, I’m very pleased to be a new member of this forum and hope to be a good and helpful contributor.
I am from Florida, and recently emigrated to the US from Scotland. When I lived in the UK I was a sports tourer type with a Honda VFR as my last bike. Now needing a new bike I’ve been doing lots of homework and decided that a KLR fits the bill. It’s very inexpensive and reliable, still looks great and loads of parts and accessories at reasonable prices. I also like to tinker and am fairly competent with the spanners. That being said , at 5ft 6 inches tall I’m a little worried about the seat height and should I lower or not? Also, Florida heat? Does anyone know if that’s been a problem? I can’t imagine it would, but no harm asking. Threre aren’t many for sale around here so I’m not spoilt for choice but I’m hoping to find the right one ASAP. Well thanks folks and hope you’re all doing well in this difficult time.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Pictures of my bike from Yesterday.

I almost have my 2005 Gen 1 completely back together after cleaning up a bunch of California Gas from my Tank, petcock and Carburetor jets. Also did a bunch of other stuff to it while I had it apart. Ceramic Coated the Header and Heat Shield and a bunch of other things. Not sure where to post pictures of our Machines but decided this would be a good start. I live not far from Sacramento, California up in the Sierra Foothills. Plenty of great roads to ride on and mountain passes to enjoy.....
Weav
Sutter Creek, CA

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,841 Posts
Is that a Corbin 'Gunfighter & Lady' seat?

I like that the rear edge of that seat is Above the carrier rack. Many aftermarket seats, even supposed 'standard' height ones put the passengers tail bone on the rear rack, rather than Above it.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Great looking gen 1 exhaust header and heat shield! What did you use to paint that?

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Type of Seat?

Thanks Paul. I bought that seat from Seat Concepts up in Idaho. I've only ridden it very little yesterday around the airport but I can tell already it's going to be VERY nice. If anyone needs to know the exact model number or description, I'll be glad to go look up the order. BTW, it fit very nice right off the bat. I had a Corbin on it before and will be selling it pretty soon. It was a nice seat that I bought from a friend but just didn't work out that well for me after I put on the lowering links... Sure feels good to be riding that machine once again!
Weav

Is that a Corbin 'Gunfighter & Lady' seat?

I like that the rear edge of that seat is Above the carrier rack. Many aftermarket seats, even supposed 'standard' height ones put the passengers tail bone on the rear rack, rather than Above it.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Header and Heat Shield coasting

Great looking gen 1 exhaust header and heat shield! What did you use to paint that?
While I had that old flat black pair of parts sitting around waiting to go back on, I had the opportunity to see another newer KLR with nickel plated parts... OMG, what a difference in appearance! So, I decided to get my two parts Ceramic Coated. I took the components down to a Powder Coater in Roseville, CA that also did a ton of Ceramic Race Car exhaust systems. The guy was very nice to work with and I selected the color that I wanted.. A week later I went down there and picked em up. The cost was $100 to do it right. To be clear, I did not Paint them. They needed to be Ceramic Coated to deal with the heat and remain the color. I also got some new Stainless screws and washers to attach the Heat Shield back to the Header. It really does look so much nicer now... Thanks for the compliment....
Weav

·
Registered
2 Posts
Southern Oregon Coast

Had an 04 while in Bahrain. Just bought a 11 and looking forward to exploring logging roads and trails.
Have a trip to Tygh Valley, OR to provide outrider support to Cycle Oregon, Gravel.

My other bike is a Yamaha FJR1300 for long distance pavement riding.

Don/Globalmedic

·
Registered
128 Posts
I almost have my 2005 Gen 1 completely back together after cleaning up a bunch of California Gas from my Tank, petcock and Carburetor jets. Also did a bunch of other stuff to it while I had it apart. Ceramic Coated the Header and Heat Shield and a bunch of other things. Not sure where to post pictures of our Machines but decided this would be a good start. I live not far from Sacramento, California up in the Sierra Foothills. Plenty of great roads to ride on and mountain passes to enjoy.....
Weav
Sutter Creek, CA
Looks really good Weav; near pristine. I'm very much looking forward to seeing it up close when we finally get a break out, probably just in time for the hot California summers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Allllrighty then. New in Oregon

Mike from Tualatin Oregon here...new to the forum. New to KLR, but have studied up on it for months. Haven't ridden in a long while. WAY too long.

My two prior bikes (street) were long ago. Say "KLH400" and remember back when...or if you don't know the KLH line, GTS. "Mom, it's not my bike out there in the garage. That's Toby's. I'm just storing it for him." ;) Then there was the CB750 that I traded a barely running, not stopping, ex-forest service crew cab for. That one got me through a summer in college. But those are now ancient memories. What's exciting is that my new (to me) 2014.5 KLR sits in the garage, waiting for COVID to allow DMV to open so I can get my dang endorsement. They say June. If I'm lucky, I'll get some summer riding in.

Meanwhile, I'm consuming a crazy amount of two-wheeled Youtube: Mototrek and FortNine, to CanyonChasers, DanDantheFireman, and many others. Pumped about getting out there again.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Welcome to the forum from just a bit southwest of you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Love Carlton. Good friends there. Nice riding country out your way, easy into the coast range. Hope to meet up sometime. Thanks for the welcome.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I just bought my first KLR, a 2008, stock but for footpegs and shifter. It's fairly low mileage at 8200. I just did the doohickey and torsion spring and replaced the dry-rotted tires with some Shinko 700s with new HD tubes. I'm a long-time wrench, former Honda mechanic at a busy dealer in Hollywood, California. I'm in Prescott, Arizona now and the surrounding countryside is laced with dozens of great dirt roads, fire roads, and jeep trails through beautiful territory. My road bike is a Suzuki SV 650 and it's a sweetheart but I fear it will be gathering dust now that I have the KLR.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Yes you have some amazing rides ahead of you. My brother lives in Pheonix. I don't know how you Az boys can stand riding in Aug. When its 120* 3' above the pavement. You must have some special hot weather gear we don't know about.
Keep us informed on your rides and take pics of the country side. I want to get out their so bad and ride. But Here in NC is just to far to haul the green machine.
PJ

761 - 780 of 826 Posts