Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

781 - 800 of 825 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
I just bought my first KLR, a 2008, stock but for footpegs and shifter. It's fairly low mileage at 8200. I just did the doohickey and torsion spring and replaced the dry-rotted tires with some Shinko 700s with new HD tubes. I'm a long-time wrench, former Honda mechanic at a busy dealer in Hollywood, California. I'm in Prescott, Arizona now and the surrounding countryside is laced with dozens of great dirt roads, fire roads, and jeep trails through beautiful territory. My road bike is a Suzuki SV 650 and it's a sweetheart but I fear it will be gathering dust now that I have the KLR.
Welcome to the forum, Jack Straw.

Did you insert the EM "Deep Hole" bushing into the outer alternator cover, lower reduction gear bushing, along with installing the EM Doo-Hickey?

I read your credentials, but I will still ask if you have read this yet? https://www.klrforum.com/introductions/58921-dpelletiers-common-new-klr-owner-mistakes-avoid.html

·
Registered
85 Posts
" I don't know how you Az boys can stand riding in Aug. When its 120* 3' above the pavement".
PJ[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the welcome. I live in the central highlands of Arizona at 5200'+ elevation. Summer temps rarely go above 90.
Phoenix and Tucson are MUCH warmer. I avoid that part of the state from mid June through late September. In the winter though, when we're shivering it's perfect down in that half of the state.

·
Registered
85 Posts
pdwestman,

Your response is much appreciated.

The bushing in the outer cover had already been done but thank you for the reminder. When I was removing the stator cover it was obvious that the bolts had been previously removed. In the back of my mind I thought perhaps that the doohickey may have been replaced. Sure enough, the EM part was installed however the spring was the old style coil. I went ahead and put in the torsion spring.

I was unable to get any service history on the bike before I bought it but I wasn't too concerned as it had all the indications of being well cared for and my intent was to address the known weak points before I ventured too far from home.

Indeed I have read the linked posting and see I have quite a lot to learn about and address on this critter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone
I'm Guido from Padova, 25 miles from Venice, Italy
I am 53 years old and I have 4 KLR ... but I stop when I want (it's not true ;-D)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Guido,

Qui sarai sempre il benvenuto....... 4 KLR !!!!! Woweeee.:laugh3:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Guido welcome you have 4. I have to ask. Did you get them in every color offered??? So how is everything in Italy? Have the shops opened up. Things back to normal?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I am Scott, I am rediscovering motorcycling in my 50s. I purchased a 2013 KLR for my Birthday back in November (2019). I live in Greenville,SC and haven't ridden a motorcycle in 20 years. That one was an early Ninja (Top Gun). In my early teens I used to do some trail riding with my parents on a Suzuki 125 (not sure of the model). I am looking to become a part of the KLR community and join in on any rides/rallies that may be happening. I have gathered most of the equipment I need for camping and yes it all fits on the bike so far.

My goal is to continue to improve my off road riding skills and get to know many of the riders in the area over the course of this summer. This fall I would like to take a few days and attempt to ride the Mid Atlantic BDR, probably not the whole thing but at least 3-4 segments.

If your in my area let me know if you need a riding partner and lets plan something.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi Scott,

I relate to returning to motorcycles after many years. I'm 70 and bought my first bike since 1974 a few months ago. It's so great to be back riding that I bought another, a KLR just a few weeks ago.

I've been a little shocked at how rusty my skills have become although it shouldn't be a surprise I guess. At least at this point I'm in no need of fast riding. Been there, done that, survived.

Have fun.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi Scott, welcome to the community. You should find all that you are looking for here. Keep us posted. Also send some oics of your bike on your next camping trip. We like pictures.
PJ

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Hi, I am Scott, I am rediscovering motorcycling in my 50s. I purchased a 2013 KLR for my Birthday back in November (2019). I live in Greenville,SC and haven't ridden a motorcycle in 20 years. That one was an early Ninja (Top Gun). In my early teens I used to do some trail riding with my parents on a Suzuki 125 (not sure of the model). I am looking to become a part of the KLR community and join in on any rides/rallies that may be happening. I have gathered most of the equipment I need for camping and yes it all fits on the bike so far.

My goal is to continue to improve my off road riding skills and get to know many of the riders in the area over the course of this summer. This fall I would like to take a few days and attempt to ride the Mid Atlantic BDR, probably not the whole thing but at least 3-4 segments.

If your in my area let me know if you need a riding partner and lets plan something.
welcome, im down in Augusta. last year i did moonshiner 28 from augusta to deals gap. im one of the klr motard conversion freaks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OLD newbie...

Hello, KLRFORUM.COM !!
Thanks, for having me.

I've owned 50-60 bikes in my 71 years, but my '93 KLR650 (A-7), wins the "Longevity" prize I've owned it since 1996, LONGER than any other bike !! and I've ridden them ALL !! They have ALL come and GONE !!
I will probably never sell my KLR.

It's still stock looking but I've done most all the mods. I put one of the first Eagle Mike doohickeys, in it. Fork brace, progressive springs... you know... necessary farkles...

I registered with KLR.NET years ago, (I didn't get a computer till the late '90's) but they have been very "Ornery" lately... and I was looking for a change.

Right now I have a weeping fuel inlet o-ring, that I'm fixing now.

Keep up the good work !!

Ride Safe !!
captbruce

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Welcome to the forum captbruce. I'll probably never sell my one owner -A1 either!

Reactions: Weav

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Folks,

I've been riding KLR650s and Tengais since 1997 and have logged about 200,000 miles on them. Although I've read posts on forums, I haven't really been on them, except for the old DSN ("DualSport News) Listserv, and was one of their earliest members. Myself, along with a few other riders and a cranky old machinist named Jake developed the first aftermarket doohickey, and I have one of the first 5 ever made. In all, I've owned 2 Tengais, 4 first gen KLR650s and 3 parts bikes. I drive my Lotus Elise more these days, but I currently still have my Tengai and my "Expedition Bike" running and registered.

Mark
a.k.a. "Tengai Mark"

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Welcome to the forum, tengai650.

I actually accidentally met Jake at the Hoover Dam in the mid to late '90's, I was investigating/admiring his KLR, dressed for the long-haul.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to the forum, tengai650.

I actually accidentally met Jake at the Hoover Dam in the mid to late '90's, I was investigating/admiring his KLR, dressed for the long-haul.
Very cool. He was an interesting and knowledgeable guy in when it came to the KLR, camping and things around Utah. I was his webmaster and still have his site on my hard drive. I was thinking about reviving some of his tips about camping, traveling and recipes and posting it somewhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello from NC! New to the KLR Forum; just bought a pristine 2011 with 16,000 miles. I didn't know that you can actually wax these bikes... I think I may own the only one that has been waxed and never off road in 16,000 miles.
Anyhow, I changed that yesterday as I was visiting a road construction zone in my neighborhood and quickly recalled that it had been raining for the past three days. I felt a tinge of guilt followed by a lot of HELL YES!!
So I've got some research to do on how to handle the crappy rubber turn signals. One of them broke while I was demonstrating to my better half how easy it is to pick up; yeah, I'm a dumbass. Happy motoring all, be safe!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Welcome to the asylum. I've only had my KLR a short time and it's bringing out my inner dumb ass. Mine stayed shiny and pristine for exactly three days.

Ride 'em.......don't shine 'em.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Howdy! Crash Crawford here.

Howdy! I'm Chad. I am 48, have a 2018 Camo. House in DelaWhere, From Southern Tier region of NYS. I'm a short, pot bellied, bald guy with opinions.
In Spring of 1990 I bought an 87 KLR650. H.S. was never the same... lOl In 1993 a deer took my 1987 in a viscious suicide. I bought a 1991 in 1996. That bike suffered a mechanical. And I honestly have been trying to remember what happened to it.... I have had several other bikes before, in between, and since. I went to a 2006 Triumph Scrambler that I enjoyed a lot. Then a 1984HD XLX sporty. LOVE THAT. Then when I found out they were discontinuing the KLR, I bought this.
My main Reason- No Ride Modes No FI No ABS No TC No Slipper Clutch No amenities to entice people to buy it that either shouldn't ride, or can't ride. I wanted a carb'ed bike with 5 gears and no BS.
Warranty expired end of May. I put on a FMF Q4. I recently bought a spare(used) carb. I have cleaned it, got an Eagle Mike KLX kit(with 42 Main), and an All Balls Rebuild kit for the remaining bits. Has the KLR Lower Dash, a cut down windscreen, Tusk Panniers, and the KLR Handlebar bag.
Oh, and I use Lucas Synthetic oil. lOl

Nice to be welcomed. Talk with all y'all later.

781 - 800 of 825 Posts