Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

881 - 889 of 889 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone,
Haplo here. I just picked up my first bike and first KLR650 (2013). I have limited riding experience but am very excited to be starting this adventure. I'm from NSW Australia.

I do have have a question; what is normal running temperature, and kind of temps are too high? Throughout the day, normal riding on roads was fine but later in the afternoon I went up a slow, steep trail and it got pretty high (pic attached). It dropped down once I was back on opens roads but I'm just curious what is normal.

temp (2).jpg

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Yes that can be totally normal. But did you confirm that you can feel hot air from the cooling fan blowing out the LH side panel when idling at the side of the road? (Has the bike been dropped and bent the radiator & the fan can't turn?)

The radiator fan switch is at the bottom of the Cooled Radiator, but the engine temp gauge sender is right next to the spark plug. The hottest area of the engine.

They are not Too Hot until the needle touches the Red Zone.
This is nearly Brand New Information to most of us. Read here, Alternate Fan Thermo Switch

Its apparent lower switch point might allow some people to relax & enjoy their ride more. :)

If you were riding in a colder climate you'd have the reverse of that problem and we would be discussing the benefits of a radiator by-pass system to warm it up more. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all,
Chuck here, my ride is a 2016. Bought it new at a local dealership, then added the SW Motech guards and center stand along with the bags and SW Motech GPS mount. Went from riding XR600 (hence the name) then to XR400 (easier in these southeastern woods), and now riding the KLR.

·
Administrator
8,680 Posts
Is that your Mustang?

·
Administrator
8,680 Posts
Looks like a pretty clean little unit!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello all,
Chuck here, my ride is a 2016. Bought it new at a local dealership, then added the SW Motech guards and center stand along with the bags and SW Motech GPS mount. Went from riding XR600 (hence the name) then to XR400 (easier in these southeastern woods), and now riding the KLR. View attachment 28304
Hey Chuck, you mentioned the "southeastern woods", where are you located? I am in southern Mississippi and looking for riding partners/route suggestions in the area.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Did you read about the Yamaha fan switch, @haplo?

I've literally climbed mountains with my '87 Gen1 with its tiny fan on a smaller radiator and Not had the temp needle into the Red Zone. Knocking at the door, but not into it, several times.

881 - 889 of 889 Posts