Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

881 - 900 of 910 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone,
Haplo here. I just picked up my first bike and first KLR650 (2013). I have limited riding experience but am very excited to be starting this adventure. I'm from NSW Australia.

I do have have a question; what is normal running temperature, and kind of temps are too high? Throughout the day, normal riding on roads was fine but later in the afternoon I went up a slow, steep trail and it got pretty high (pic attached). It dropped down once I was back on opens roads but I'm just curious what is normal.

temp (2).jpg

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
Yes that can be totally normal. But did you confirm that you can feel hot air from the cooling fan blowing out the LH side panel when idling at the side of the road? (Has the bike been dropped and bent the radiator & the fan can't turn?)

The radiator fan switch is at the bottom of the Cooled Radiator, but the engine temp gauge sender is right next to the spark plug. The hottest area of the engine.

They are not Too Hot until the needle touches the Red Zone.
This is nearly Brand New Information to most of us. Read here, Alternate Fan Thermo Switch

Its apparent lower switch point might allow some people to relax & enjoy their ride more. :)

If you were riding in a colder climate you'd have the reverse of that problem and we would be discussing the benefits of a radiator by-pass system to warm it up more. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all,
Chuck here, my ride is a 2016. Bought it new at a local dealership, then added the SW Motech guards and center stand along with the bags and SW Motech GPS mount. Went from riding XR600 (hence the name) then to XR400 (easier in these southeastern woods), and now riding the KLR.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Is that your Mustang?

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Looks like a pretty clean little unit!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello all,
Chuck here, my ride is a 2016. Bought it new at a local dealership, then added the SW Motech guards and center stand along with the bags and SW Motech GPS mount. Went from riding XR600 (hence the name) then to XR400 (easier in these southeastern woods), and now riding the KLR. View attachment 28304
Hey Chuck, you mentioned the "southeastern woods", where are you located? I am in southern Mississippi and looking for riding partners/route suggestions in the area.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
Did you read about the Yamaha fan switch, @haplo?

I've literally climbed mountains with my '87 Gen1 with its tiny fan on a smaller radiator and Not had the temp needle into the Red Zone. Knocking at the door, but not into it, several times.

·
Registered
2007 KLR 650
4 Posts
Hey y'all
I'm Jake in Western NC. I picked up a 2007 KLR 650 with 15K miles a few weeks ago. I'm using it to commute about 60 miles a day on two lane farm roads and dirt/gravel ranch roads. It's a huge break in gas expense from my daily drive old Bronco and I'm having a blast with it. It's a fun, torquey bike, and and live in a place with plenty of curves and dirt trails.
I haven't had a bike in about 20 years and my last one was a GS1100, but I have played with a lot of bikes in the meantime. I work on a ranch and I needed a dual sport but didn't want to spent much, so the apocalypse bike seemed like a good choice. This bike wasn't terribly well maintained, but a weekend of TLC, tightening bolts, fluids, filters, and a spark plug set it right. It came with new Dunlap TrailMax tires and a new chain. The only thing not working is the tach. I can live without it but I'm going to see if I can't get it working. I wish the pilot screw was adjustable on the carb, but I'll drill the plug out when I get around to rebuilding it, unless there is a good upgrade. I'll hit the search engine and see what I can find before bothering you all with questions. Happy to be here!

·
Premium Member
2014.5 KLR650
73 Posts
Welcome ... new here myself but it seems like a great Forum ...

·
Registered
2018 KLR650.
13 Posts
Hello All. Hailing in from right next door to Peggys Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada. I am the second owner to a 2018 in sparkle black. Its as beauty, if a klr can be such a thing and its already farkled to death. The list is extensive. Sw motech bars and skid, em prevailing countershaft nut, stiffer spring in shock and forks but don't know if anything else was done suspension wise, klrdash and moose +2" windshield, allen head bolts in carb so i think its been kitted but who knows if its 22c or EM or klx or MCP. DirtRacks pannier racks, barkbuster Jet hand guards. I might have missed more stuff.
Presently I am ordering the Cyclops klr Led headlights kit and the Led V 2.0 multi blinkers. Superbrightled flasher and tail light and dash bulbs as well To free power for grip heaters. Canada= cold. Oh, i need a ThermoBob-2 but thats next pension cheque. Wife's on to me already so got to lay low for a bit.
Ill post photo's once i am allowed.
Previous history ? Well, i started on a honda ct90 in 1978. Then in College had a Suzuki gs550. Moved up in second year to a Kawasaki HI 500 triple mach ll. "Widowmaker". Upon graduation i got a brand new 1983 Honda CX650 Turbo and still have that. When mid life crises set in i picked up and modded a Suzuki drz400 for woods riding with my buds. As we are now roaming farther afield i needed something with more legs, hence the newer KLR. BDR's, TAT and TCAT are all planned now for when the plague recedes and borders reopen. Looking into a 14,000 km round trip to Belize as well but need to make a few friends here so i have a security blanket of friends at waypoints for coffee and pee breaks, and unlikely repairs.
so, now to make new friends. Spring is on the way and i need to be ready!

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Hello All. Hailing in from right next door to Peggys Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada.
I've actually been to Peggys Cove. It's been a few decades, but I remember it and probably have a few photos. I'd love to ride the KLR around that area.

Looking into a 14,000 km round trip to Belize as well but need to make a few friends here so i have a security blanket of friends at waypoints for coffee and pee breaks, and unlikely repairs.
My place on the west side of Chicago is not anywhere close to a direct route between Nova Scotia and Belize, but you're welcome to stop anyway. Heck, I might even join you!

·
Registered
2018 KLR650.
13 Posts
I've actually been to Peggys Cove. It's been a few decades, but I remember it and probably have a few photos. I'd love to ride the KLR around that area.

My place on the west side of Chicago is not anywhere close to a direct route between Nova Scotia and Belize, but you're welcome to stop anyway. Heck, I might even join you!
Might be a possibility. I was planning to return up the west coast Then swing east under the Lakes. As i work ships, i have been up the calimut several times in the last few years. I wonder how much aerostich i can afford should i make duluth ?

·
Premium Member
2014.5 KLR650
73 Posts
Welcome ... there’s a place for you in Toronto ... anytime

·
Registered
2002 Kawasaki KLR650
6 Posts
Hello KLRForum folks,
Darran here from Far Northern California. I am new to the forum and fairly new to Moto.
I bought a 2002 KLR last March from a friend of a friend with 5500 miles on it.
Besides a Ricor rear shock, progressive fork springs, and Shinko 705's its bare bones stock as far as I can tell.
It did come with a hole melted in the air box that I replaced and added a Uni air filter.
I have only put about 600 miles on it because it took so long for the DMV to reopen during the pandemic.
Its been great riding it as I haven't had a bike since I was a kid. Mostly weekend fun rides and a couple commutes to work.
I have been reading some strings and am learning a ton.
Happy to be here.

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
Welcome to the forum, DirtMTB.

Do you know what caused the melt hole in the air box? Any idea how long it had been melted open? Clean side or dirty side?

·
Registered
2002 Kawasaki KLR650
6 Posts
Thanks PDwestman for the welcome.
I am pretty sure the hole was caused by the header/silencer exhaust joint.
The hole was directly above that and the box had melted down around the tailpipe, on the clean side unfortunately.
I don't think the seller had any idea. I don't think maintenance was his thing. Luckily high mileage wasn't either.
I didn't even see it either when I bought the bike. When I replaced the airbox with an Ebay unit, the new one came with a metal plate mounted to the box right in that spot that the original either didn't have or lost at some point.

881 - 900 of 910 Posts