Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

901 - 913 of 913 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,759 Posts
I didn't even see it either when I bought the bike. When I replaced the airbox with an Ebay unit, the new one came with a metal plate mounted to the box right in that spot that the original either didn't have or lost at some point.
All the air boxes came with a heat shield, unfortunately they are still about an inch short of protecting the plastic box from the jet blast of a failed oem joint gasket (happened to mine in about '88-'89) or a poor fitting aftermarket 'slip-on' muffler.
Our fearless leader Tom Schmitz, aka Souperdoo has the fix tho,

click here--> Post Page

He has lots of great stuff on his personal site!

Reactions: DirtMTB

·
Registered
2 Posts
ooooooooh, That is a pretty one!! Didn't know they ever made that color combination.

Treat her kindly and welcome to the forum, 10-guy.
The only problem is I can’t find crash bars over here and I know I’m going to drop it in the dirt!

·
Registered
2002 Kawasaki KLR650
6 Posts
All the air boxes came with a heat shield, unfortunately they are still about an inch short of protecting the plastic box from the jet blast of a failed oem joint gasket (happened to mine in about '88-'89) or a poor fitting aftermarket 'slip-on' muffler.
Our fearless leader Tom Schmitz, aka Souperdoo has the fix tho,

click here--> Post Page

He has lots of great stuff on his personal site!
Paul, thanks for the link to Souperdoo!
That site is now a permanent bookmark in my KLR folder.

·
Premium Member
7,759 Posts
The only problem is I can’t find crash bars over here and I know I’m going to drop it in the dirt!
If you remove the original 'Air-Dam / skidplate' several of the 2008-2018 Gen 2 style crash guards should work.
I've seen it on Facebook KLR sites.

Crash guards sticking out a little wider than normal would probably be a good thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
:)
Pretty please???
It's great to have you introduce yourself, but we also would like to know where you're from, too!!

If you're shy, you don't even need to post your town, but at least what part of the country you're from.. That way people in your area can get to know you, or even better, meet you!!!

<--- Please fill in the 'Location' on your personal profile page. User CP/Edit Your Details

This information makes it much easier for other members to answer/comment on your posts.
Hi all, new to the KLR650, I,ve had and still do Z1 900 -Z1R's 1973-1980's all my life, looking at setting up a new 650 for long distance travels around Australia in retirement coming up in a few years, l,m in Perth. Western Australia.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all, FNG from Maine.
Just picked up an 09 KLR a few weeks ago, though i have considered the KLR " THE" bike for me since reading about it in a book or two in the 90's.
But it turns out I ended up buying a cruiser, and rode that for 5-6 seasons.....and after the first year, rode past old dirt roads and 4 wheeler trails with a longing for a bike that could take me where i REALLY wanted to go.
The KLR i have is pretty nice and well farkled by its previous owner, but i'm adding the low profile drain plug,skid plate and subframe bolt upgrade. All the plastics are RED...but in good shape, so it cools my urge to give it a a few coats of OD Krylon. But i just may do it, as i'll enjoy the bike more.
The KLR is my fourth bike, and the third ive bought in the last 12 months ( the others are an old Suzuki RS175 that needs a bit of TLC, and an 83 KZ750 twin i bought cheap and worked on until it was road worthy, going to ride it in the spring)

Ive ridden a variety of other, larger bikes: Indians, harleys, Triumphs...and tried to talk myself into a payment but just could not, as none were as off road capable, or capable of hauling enough luggage, or just too damn expensive for what they were.
The KLR is going to fill the bill for a while.

·
Registered
2008 KLR650
18 Posts
Hey everyone. Name is Jerry. Been lurking for awhile and decided to join. Yall have been answering questions for me for some time now simply by Google constantly directing me to forum topics. Love my '08 KLR650. Love to wrench on it almost as much as ride.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Jerry and other newbies, be sure to read this:

·
Registered
2008 KLR650
18 Posts
Jerry and other newbies, be sure to read this:
Funny man. I JUST read that post.

·
Registered
‘08 KLR
1 Posts
Hello from Manitoba. Have had my '08 KLR for two summers now. Fortunate to get it with many add-ons. Used to race mx as a kid. Got our kids into mx and me back into it. But was finding as a 40 yr old, I was getting too sore to go to work the next Monday morning. Got back into street riding but missed the 'off road' type of riding. Knowing my knees and wrists wouldn't be happy to be on a track again, I sought a KLR. It now gets back on the occasional trail and gravel road riding which has been alot of fun. Still have my Ninja 1000 and a mid 90's Goldwing. All are fun but the 'ol KLR probably puts the biggest smile on my face. Here to gain more KLR knowledge and share tips/ideas with everyone else.
image0.jpeg
image3.jpeg

·
Registered
2018 KLR 650 Camo
2 Posts
Greetings! Old SC sasquatch here with new (to me) 2018 KLR 650 with less that 2700 miles. I came for the knowledge and the fellowship of the like minded

·
Premium Member
2014.5 KLR650
75 Posts
Welcome folks ... newish here myself but find it a great community ...

901 - 913 of 913 Posts