Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

921 - 940 of 949 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello everyone. I'm from Indianapolis, Indiana.
I've been buzzing around the site for a little over 6 months while I shopped around for a KLR, and I just picked her up today! She's a 2015 with just over 3k miles. Very well maintained, and came with a good amount of extras. Crash bars, new seat, metal foot-pegs (not installed), Zero Gravity dark windshield, KLR branded tank bag and rear top case, and more.

My first bike was a Buell Blast, second was a Honda VFR. Its been about 6 years since I've owned one, but this is my third. After only one ride home I am completely in love.

The plan is to take a couple months this summer and tour the USA on a solo camping trip and hopefully hit the MABDR. For now, its time to mod the bike, and gather equipment.

I hope to see some you guys out and about, and I'm glad to be apart of the community now.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

So great to find this community of KLR enthusiasts! I'm thrilled to be a new owner with the endless possibilities of roads and trails rolling out ahead of me. I rode a GPZ550 for about six years in the 1990s but started a family in 2004 and haven't rode since. I'm celebrating by 50th BD this year by getting back on a motorcycle and enjoying that freedom feeling!

Last weekend, I completed the California Motorcycle Safety Program and added the M1 endorsement to my license just this morning. Next week, I'm taking delivery of a 2017 KLR650 with just under 1200 miles on it. It's beautiful and in great condition. I'll post pics once it's here.

Looking forward to learning from and sharing with you all. Let me know if any of you are ever riding through Nor Cal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello all,

My name is Tim and yesterday I got my motorcycle permit, today I bought my 2016 KLR, next week I have my STAR motorcycle skills course, and the week after I should have my M endorsement.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions considering I'm new to the KLR and motorcycles in general.

I'm located in central Idaho.

·
Registered
2013 Klr650 1993 XR600 1982 XT550
11 Posts
Hi all, been poking about recently gathering data on my abused KLR. Figured I'd join and try getting more direct opinions!

I'm Phillip in San Jose CA. Got into street/adventure due to COVID boredom on an xt550... Big money sink trying to make it more than it is. Now have a '13 KLR with 15k miles and no oil when I picked it up... LoL. Expect a post about that project soon...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all, just joined. Lurked for a while now, decided to join up and introduce myself. From New Brunswick (Maritimes in Eastern Canada). Been street riding for about 30 years, going on 3 years off road with the KLR (2011 KLR 650). Other bike is a VT1100C2, but due to our roads deteriorating quickly, the KLR gets more use

·
Registered
2006 KLR650
7 Posts
Hey all, recently joined after lurking as a guest for the last year and a half or so. Got my first bike, an '06 KLR 650, in October 2019 and been loving riding and tinkering with it ever since. I'm from Gainesville, GA but love taking the pig anywhere it thinks it can go.

·
Registered
2002 KLR650
88 Posts
Hey all, recently joined after lurking as a guest for the last year and a half or so. Got my first bike, an '06 KLR 650, in October 2019 and been loving riding and tinkering with it ever since. I'm from Gainesville, GA but love taking the pig anywhere it thinks it can go.
Welcome to the forum, Andrew.
- Thumper from the other side of I-85

·
Registered
2006 KLR650
7 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Andrew.
- Thumper from the other side of I-85
Thanks! It's really funny that you replied to me. I JUST read your stumped post because I was searching for posts with IMS tanks. I saw @PeteK suggested that you could backlight your tank and found it ironic because I did that exact thing yesterday. Once I get it put back together we should meet up!

·
Registered
2002 KLR650
88 Posts
Dang! You’re really glowing, I dig it.
Sure thing

Thanks! It's really funny that you replied to me. I JUST read your stumped post because I was searching for posts with IMS tanks. I saw @PeteK suggested that you could backlight your tank and found it ironic because I did that exact thing yesterday. Once I get it put back together we should meet up!
View attachment 29014

·
Registered
7 Posts
:)
Pretty please???
It's great to have you introduce yourself, but we also would like to know where you're from, too!!
Hi, all. I'm a new KLR owner, recently picked up a 2016 in great condition, 28K miles.

I'm also new to "Class M" riding, but I've been practicing a lot on clay though - 30 miles so far, mostly in first gear. Waiting on the cycle shop right now and trying to successfully get through the line at the DMV, to start riding on real asphalt. A Salsa Vaya is my other bike, LoL.

I'm from California, grew up in the San Joaquin Valley. I've lived for a little while in the midwest, tho, imo it was great to get to know somewhere else for a while. Though I like the Sierra, I miss those forests tho, tbt.

Health, all

- Sean

·
Registered
2013 Klr650 1993 XR600 1982 XT550
11 Posts
Hi, all. I'm a new KLR owner, recently picked up a 2016 in great condition, 28K miles.

I'm also new to "Class M" riding, but I've been practicing a lot on clay though - 30 miles so far, mostly in first gear. Waiting on the cycle shop right now and trying to successfully get through the line at the DMV, to start riding on real asphalt. A Salsa Vaya is my other bike, LoL.

I'm from California, grew up in the San Joaquin Valley. I've lived for a little while in the midwest, tho, imo it was great to get to know somewhere else for a while. Though I like the Sierra, I miss those forests tho, tbt.

Health, all

- Sean
Welcome! I'm a bit of a lurker in the bay area. My 2013 KLR is in the process of being revived... PO was not kind to it.

Getting your license shouldn't be as bad now. Last year it took me over a month to get my "learners" papers. And longer to actually transfer ownership on a bike with back fees...

Enjoy yourself and ride safe!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I have a 2013 klr that I picked up about 1.5 Yrs ago. It is a lot of fun to ride around and I have other street bikes, it really enjoy jumping on the klr. I’m also planning to ride part of the nmbdr this summer. The bike came with quite a bit of stuff on it, including the tusk panniers and crash guards.
I actually will be looking for some new luggage because the cans are really more than I want to have on the off road ride. Kind of bulky.
I installed the hand guards from Tusk as well, have a KLR handlebar bag, usb power port, installed the doohickey a while back, and my son got me the lowered sargent seat. It’s got an fmf pipe on it a and runs pretty strong.
im going to look around here for tire replacements as the current Shinko’s are showing their wear.

this is a shot of it when I picked it up with all the stuff on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Steve from Mississippi 😀
I've had 3 KLR's in the past and currently looking for another. Just as soon as my 2021 Honda Monkey sells or is traded toward a KLR I'll be back riding my favorite bike I've ever ridden.

·
Registered
2009 kLR 650
5 Posts
:)
Pretty please???
It's great to have you introduce yourself, but we also would like to know where you're from, too!!

If you're shy, you don't even need to post your town, but at least what part of the country you're from.. That way people in your area can get to know you, or even better, meet you!!!

<--- Please fill in the 'Location' on your personal profile page. User CP/Edit Your Details

This information makes it much easier for other members to answer/comment on your posts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi gang,

Ancient N00b here.

First bike was a used kz400 in 1977. I have spent a quite some time on 2 wheels since then, but thats lot of years.

Picked up a used KLR650 last fall. I like it just fine now that I installed a aftermarket dog bones on the bottom of the shock to drop it a little.

Took it out the other day to start the PA riding season and pulled up to the gas pump.
The cement was angled down a bit away from the pumps and i discovered that changing the suspension requires a kickstand mod to prevent falling over on the right side.

Cut an inch and 1/4 out of the kickstand and welded the bottom plate back on and all is good again.

921 - 940 of 949 Posts