Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

941 - 949 of 949 Posts

·
Registered
2009 KLR 650
3 Posts
Hi, Matt from Boise ID. Picked up a 2009 KLR back in Dec of 2020 (only good part of 2020, right.). This is my first bike at 47 and has been fun so far. I’ve been lurking here for sometime and have gotten plenty of great wisdom from you guys. Time to sign up and make it real.

Today I replaced the chain as the one I bought it with seemed to have some weird issues and possibly wasn’t taken great care of. Also pulled it open and replaced the doohickey along with a fresh oil change and filter. Air filter seemed good though. Next thing up is a new front tire. It came with a brand new Heidenu (sp?j K60 Scout on the rear but the front is pretty worn. I’ll probably put the same to match brand. Other than that it rides great and has been a blast.

Ive had it out in the desert south of town last weekend and dumped it 5 times. Never rode in sand before and got better as I went and learned to stand up on the pegs. 2 of those times I wiped out when I locked up the front wheel (Not in sand.) Yes, my crash bars have plenty o scratches now but thats why i bought this bike!

Cheers!

Matt

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,095 Posts
Hi gang,

Ancient N00b here.

First bike was a used kz400 in 1977. I have spent a quite some time on 2 wheels since then, but thats lot of years.

Picked up a used KLR650 last fall. I like it just fine now that I installed a aftermarket dog bones on the bottom of the shock to drop it a little.

Took it out the other day to start the PA riding season and pulled up to the gas pump.
The cement was angled down a bit away from the pumps and i discovered that changing the suspension requires a kickstand mod to prevent falling over on the right side.

Cut an inch and 1/4 out of the kickstand and welded the bottom plate back on and all is good again.
Yeah, I think everybody does that at some point. 😉

·
Registered
4 Posts
Trevor From Ottawa, Ontario here. Been riding for close to 40 years now, since I was 11.

New to me 2014.5 KLR, with an "all black" terrible paint job by the previous owner. Not sure what he would have been thinking, but he painted over all the stickers too... no peeling them off for him!

He did put a whack of extras on the bike though, which is what attracted me to it.

Hope to get some good info on this seemingly great forum!

·
Premium Member
'12 Candy Lime KLR
280 Posts
New to me 2014.5 KLR, with an "all black" terrible paint job by the previous owner. Not sure what he would have been thinking, but he painted over all the stickers too... no peeling them off for him!
Welcome, @Trevd! Post a couple pictures if you have some.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This one is a good view of the bad paint job....

But it doesn't actually matter much to me. I got a great deal on it because of the paint, so all is good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello!!!

Just picked up my first KLR, excited for the adventure and wrenching on the new back. It’s a 1992.. in crazy good condition!!! I am the 3rd owner, the guy before me only had it for a year (during COVID), the first owner was the original owner and took epic care of it.

I am in LA so-cal, going to load it up on the back of my grand Cherokee this summer and get out there!!!

941 - 949 of 949 Posts