Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1281 - 1300 of 1314 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,528 Posts
Love it! Low mounted exhaust pipe and all! Do you have enough clearance between the rear brake caliper & the muffler during a full rear suspension bottom-out? It looks a little close.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New to the KLR forum, I am looking to purchase a KLR this winter. My current bike is too big to do some of the trails, and ridding I want to do.
Looking for some suggestions of which year to purchase as well as which years to avoid, as well as why
Thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
New member, live in Colorado, and looking to purchase a KLR sometime this winter and looking for some advice on which years to avoid and which years to look for, and why
Current bike is too big for some of the ridding I want to do, just got back from a 4-week trip to Prudhoe Bay. a little over 9000 miles.
Thank you

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Welcome to the forum Reno. KLRs are decent reliable all-round dual sport bikes.

Generally, the 2008 and 2009 had problems with high levels of oil consumption (newer rings/piston design -too few oil drains behind oil control ring), and also had issues with wiring loom rub-through against the frame's backbone and maybe other places (there was a recall to fix the wiring). If you handy with a wrench and can do most of your own maintenance, then neither of these is a big issue. Casual review of failure reports from sites like this one suggest no other serious patterns in terms of reliability or design/assembly issues, at least not so much a pattern pointing to shitty model years.

Smart money says you can often shop for a bargain in Dec-Feb as it's too cold in Colorado for all but the most hard core dualsporters.

·
Registered
2022 Adventure
11 Posts
Hello. I'm new to the forum I guess I'll fall under the name of Moeggsy, Moe for short. I recently purchased 2022 KLR Adventure and closing in on 500 miles nearing 1st oil change per break-in. Must add I really enjoy my purchase thus far. I'm in Michigan, 51 years old. Im a chemical operator working shift work past 18yrs. Been away from bikes now for over 20+ years being married and raising four kids dad's toys slowly slipped away 😆. Born an raised on a farm an grew up riding motorcycles an most family members all have bikes. My last bike was a Honda 350 KL mid 1080s? My two brothers both have KLR 250s an seem to have zero issues which led me to look at the new KLRs. Anyways I'm definitely full of questions. I've done alot of research before purchase but I have to admit I'm torn on the thermal bob an doohikey upgrades. All the reading I do I get mixed reviews. An it sounds like the forum probably had its fill of those conversations too. So advice on these upgrades would be appreciated for peace of mind. Thanks, Moe'

·
Registered
3 Posts
Howdy fine KLR folks! New member here from Coastal Orange County, California. New to off road motorcycles with a few years in the past of riding Harley cruisers, bobbers and choppers just around PCH but TONS of time riding mountain bikes in the coastal foothills. Now that they’ve been overrun by e-bikes, I figure its time to start doing some good-sized loops with less crowds in Big Bear / Angelus Oaks, Anza Borrego, Mojave Desert, Owens Valley / Eastern Sierras, etc on an “adventure bike” rather than switching to riding an E-Bike…anyone else in a similar situation? Anyone in Orange County, California? Looking forward to learning all things KLR here, thanks for having me!

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Howdy fine KLR folks! New member here from Coastal Orange County, California...
Welcome to the fantastic world of DualSports and the to the best KLR Forum on the interwebs.

Always okay to post pics of your new/used scooter - we enjoy living vicariously through our teammates here!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to the fantastic world of DualSports and the to the best KLR Forum on the interwebs.

Always okay to post pics of your new/used scooter - we enjoy living vicariously through our teammates here!
Thanks Foo and nice to meet you! Here’s the bike, it just came home today and was stoked to ride it around the neighborhood for 20 minutes.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR 650
2 Posts
Howdy everyone. I'm on my third KLR, so I've now had one from each generation. Still farkeling, but have a lot of the basic stuff. I just built a "cooler deck" to get more stuff to the beach and maybe other places where I want a bigger cooler (more beer!). I live about 200 miles from the coast and KLR gets a lot better mileage than my truck. Here's a shot of the whole thing loaded up and another with just the deck. This is still a rough prototype, but it worked great on the initial trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
2022 Adventurer
3 Posts
As a long time BMW rider, although not currently, WELCOME!!! Might I ask, what year Airhead RT did you have? I had a 82' for several years, along with a 92' R100RS, and a 86' R65 all sitting in the garage at the same time.
I actually discovered that I enjoyed riding the R65 and it got most of the riding time. It was just a plain model with BMW hardbags. I enjoyed the bike, but wanted something smoother as the R65 had a nasty buzz at 70mph in 5th gear.
I ended up selling all three BMW's in an effort to find a plain, monoshock R80. I didn't have any luck finding one (this was 8-9 years ago) and needed a bike for the Midland, MI BMW MOA rally. I ended up buying something I knew I'd hate, but I needed a bike for the rally, so I bought a 87 K75S... Just as I figured, I hated it. I'd owned a 86 K75C and hated it before.. :mad0235:

Anyway, I found a 2000 R1100R and rode that for years, just finally selling it to a co-worker 2 years ago.

I'm again hunting for a plain Airhead to go do my weekend playing. :16a:

Again, Welcome to the site!!
R65? a rider close to my heart. That's the 1st bmw I ever owned and loved it for its simplicity and sound. Got sucked into the bigger bike is better syndrome and moved on to other rides: gosh I wish I had kept that bike...

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
988 Posts
Howdy everyone. I'm on my third KLR, so I've now had one from each generation. Still farkeling, but have a lot of the basic stuff. I just built a "cooler deck" to get more stuff to the beach and maybe other places where I want a bigger cooler (more beer!). I live about 200 miles from the coast and KLR gets a lot better mileage than my truck. Here's a shot of the whole thing loaded up and another with just the deck. This is still a rough prototype, but it worked great on the initial trip.
The only thing missing is a double-axle utility trailer hooked behind your KLR! :p

·
Registered
1990 KLR250
2 Posts
Hey y'all, happy to be here, just purchased my first KLR about a month ago (drove 12 hours to get it!) and I'm working on giving her a little love and attention. I live in Jacksonville, FL and I plan on fixing her up enough to go on some adventure rides!
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

1281 - 1300 of 1314 Posts