Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1361 - 1380 of 1386 Posts

· Registered
2005 KLR650
20 Posts
I’m new to this forum, and in fact, this is my first post ever! I grew up on dirt bikes in the 1980’s (XR250R, XL350, XL600) and have an appreciation for bikes of that era. When shopping for a new bike, I looked at so many ranging from 2022 KLR650s to XL650Rs to Africa Twins and everything in between. I was just about to pull the trigger on a brand new bike when a light bulb went on…. What if I bought a used Gen-1 KLR650 that had been well maintained, and spent around $2k in parts to make it unique and superior? That would still be quite cheaper than a brand new KLR650, and a fraction of the cost for a new Africa Twin. When I say superior, that is in my eyes only. New look meets vintage, improved suspension, a small diet, a tad more power, and most bearings, seals, gaskets & cables replaced.

Meet the 1st bike I have bought in the past 30 years, a 2005 KLR650 with 29k miles on the speedo, owned by a 75 year old gentleman who traveled extensively with it (Costa Rica, Panama, treks from Florida to Arizona, etc). The bike is in my garage, and some parts have landed. This is my winter project (I might start a thread for the build).

The man:
- Middle aged 6’0”, 175lbs wet.
- Grew up in mountainous regions (New Brunswick, Canada) where 4-strokes were the choice for steep rocky climbs
- Currently live in Phoenix, Arizona (hot, sandy trails, cactus thorn galore, some mountains)
- Needed a machine to explore mountains, 75% trail duty, with occasional road trips (loaded like a mule)

The machine:
(mods I am aware off, but I suspect I will be discovering more as I dig in)
- 2005 KLR650 which that starts easily, idles great, and runs strong.
- 2” rear drop (luckily, the stock arms were in the tank bag)
- Progressive front springs
- Progresive rear shock
- Schnitz 685 kit installed 5k miles ago. Runs great and burns no oil.
- Thermo-bob
- Do-hickey
- Unbranded exhaust pipe (open design with a spark arrester screen)
- I “suspect” carb jetting magic, because this KLR pulls stronger than I had anticipated.

Cheers everyone!

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Hood Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior Font

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Auto part Bench Machine

· Registered
441 Posts
Nice Bike! Make sure you line up the speedo drive correctly when you put the front wheel back on.
I have the same front rotor on my 2017 its a big improvement. I did not like the aluminium caliper
bracket that came with it so I replaced it with the stainless EM one.

· Registered
Klr 650 c 1996
2 Posts
Hello every body, at first, I want to apologize for my English, Google translation will be the guilty!!!
I m yoann i come from thé south of France .. i just purchase a klr 650 1996 …
I completely disassembled it and I think I will soon need advice on the modifications and repairs that will be made there..
thanks you all and have a good day !!!

· Premium Member
12,570 Posts
I m yoann i come from thé south of France .. i just purchase a klr 650 1996 …
I completely disassembled it and I think I will soon need advice on the modifications and repairs that will be made there..
Welcome to the forum, Yoann.
Your KLR650-C model is very similar to the North American KLR650-A model in most mechanical aspects.
But the -C models Over-Temperature Light is most similar to the North American KLX650-C models. Your Temp Light should turn OFF when you shift INTO gear and hopefully Stay Off, unless there is an actual over-heat incident, while in gear.

Learn to use the "Search Community" bar at the top of screen. 99.999% of questions have been asked (and answered) 100 times before.
But many of us are here if you truely need our assistance.

· Registered
18 Posts
Yakclimber509: What section of the WABDR did you do? I was up there a month ago when it was still hot and dry. I did the sections from N. Wenas Rd to Elllensburg, then Ellensburg to Wenatchee. I expect the dusty and hard crust sections are now mud pits and slides. Did you take your girlfriend on the back, or did she ride her own bike?
Sorry for the late reply. That particular weekend day, we rode the section up by bald
Mountain until we hit snow. Also, we’ve ridden the bethel ridge to hwy 410 section. With all the snow we have here now, the bikes are all buttoned up for the winter. But as soon as the roads melt out….. Game On!!

· Registered
3 Posts
Hey Everyone! I am a new owner of a 2022 KLR Adventure in San Diego, CA. I am a new rider having ridden mini-motos in Korea for the past year. I decided to upgrade into dual sport after my buddy recommended the bike and reviewing Dork in the Road. It's great look into all the posts and seeing if the riding community is open to new riders. Look forward to meeting some of you in person. Thanks!
I just got a 23 Klr in January also I’m San Diego.

· Registered
4 Posts
Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Fuel tank

Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Plant

Hi everyone. Not sure if I'm doing this correctly so apologies if not. I'm George, new member from North Devon in the UK. Had this 1989/90 Tengai for around 3 or four years now and it's my go to bike every time I go out. I don't get cramp on it and the height makes it slightly safer going around the lanes full of maniac delivery drivers than on any of my other steeds. Just about retired; been in engineering all my life which unfortunately means I'm expected to repair all my own stuff as well as most of my mates!

· Registered
86 Posts
View attachment 39502
View attachment 39503

Hi everyone. Not sure if I'm doing this correctly so apologies if not. I'm George, new member from North Devon in the UK. Had this 1989/90 Tengai for around 3 or four years now and it's my go to bike every time I go out. I don't get cramp on it and the height makes it slightly safer going around the lanes full of maniac delivery drivers than on any of my other steeds. Just about retired; been in engineering all my life which unfortunately means I'm expected to repair all my own stuff as well as most of my mates!
Wassup ? That is a very unique bike. A real conversation piece. Haven't seen one like it in my travels here in US.

· Registered
4 Posts
Hi there.
It's a KLR650 B model. They came out in 1989 as a B1 and stopped in 1992 as a B4. Mines 1989 and imported from Germany. Main difference from all the others was the Dakar looking panels, lower mounted front mudguard and they all had the large 23 litre fuel tank. There was also a 500cc KLR model too which was a single and not the KLE500 twin engine.

· Premium Member
12,570 Posts
There was also a 500cc KLR model too which was a single and not the KLE500 twin engine.
Welcome to the forum.

Do you know which countries over there got the KLR500's?
And which countries got the KLE500 twins?

The USA only got the 1990 KLR650-B2 & 1991 -B3 Tengai.
The USA also never got the KLR650-C models, but Australia and Canada did.

· Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Do you know which countries over there got the KLR500's?
And which countries got the KLE500 twins?

The USA only got the 1990 KLR650-B2 & 1991 -B3 Tengai.
The USA also never got the KLR650-C models, but Australia and Canada did.
Hi there. Going by the model years on the back of my Tengai manual, they only made the 500klr in 89 and 90. I must be honest, I've never seen one and not sure if they were just Tengai dressed bikes or standard KLR too. The KLE500 certainly sold quite a few in the UK but it wasn't the best of bikes. Never got a great review from MCN and similar. Probably ok as a town commuter but not a trail bike.

· Registered
4 Posts
Wassup ? That is a very unique bike. A real conversation piece. Haven't seen one like it in my travels here in US.
Hi there.
It's a KLR650 B model. They came out in 1989 as a B1 and stopped in 1992 as a B4. Mines 1989 and imported from Germany. Main difference from all the others was the Dakar looking panels, lower mounted front mudguard and they all had the large 23 litre fuel tank. There was also a 500cc KLR model too which was a single and not the KLE500 twin engine.

1361 - 1380 of 1386 Posts