Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new front and rear Anakees. Putting them on tomorrow. Anyone else running these tires? I am excited to see how they improve my daily commute as I am coming from full knobbies that I ran through in 4k miles.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I haven't run the 2's, but the originals were excellent!! Sticky, and long wearing.. Unfortunately, they're also expensive, so KLR riders tend to shy away.. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They were expensive, but I want a tire to last longer than a little over 4k miles. During the riding season I can do 4k miles in 4 months.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
They were expensive, but I want a tire to last longer than a little over 4k miles. During the riding season I can do 4k miles in 4 months.
I completely understand.. Many of us are getting 7-8000 out of the Kenda 761's, which are less than $100 for a pair, shipped.. They're no where as good as the Anakee's on wet, but they're very good for most everything else..

I LOVED the Anakee.. There's one on the front of my BMW GS right now.. But the cheapness of being a KLR rider (kidding, somewhat) has me from buying those "fancy" tires.. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, that isnt bad on the Kenda tire at all.

I drive in all weather conditions and the rain readings I read on the Anakee was a big factor in my purchase.

We shall see. Thanks for your input. :35a:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FYI, This bike is a diff. animal to ride now. I get no more front end shakes. My Klr can now do 80 on the highway without that feeling of no control. Grip is great.

I would for sure recomend these even though most KLR owners dont want to spend this kind of money.

I use mine mainly to commute on and was starting to hate my commute :) Now the KLR is much more happy and so am I.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I considered those when I put my first set of tires on my 05 KLR, but went with the Avon Distanzia's instead. Loved those...thought about the anakees for my 09 KLR, but couldn't justify the $$. Heard great things about them...I mean, come on, they are OEM on the BMW 1200 GS's. They wouldn't be on there if they weren't the bomb. Put a few more miles on those tires and let us know what you think. And we wanna see pictures of them on the bike!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Let us know how they wear over time. I'm interested in purchasing some for a long distance trip next year and like you enjoy my tires to last longer than a few thousand miles and few months.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm looking at buying these but I live on a gravel road do they still do decent off road? Most of my commute is highway and I've had great experience with Michelins before so I'm looking into the Anakee 2's for my new KLR as well!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Served me v. Well on my trip to Alaska on my V-Strom. Should have had knobbies put on in Fairbanks however..PLEASE keep in mind that some knobbies can kill you on a highway, but not enough traction somewhere may just make you a bit wiser for your next trip.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey fellas, I'm going to the dealership saturday to have an Anakee 2 put on the rear of my KLR right now funds are limiting me to only installing the rear. I would wait and get both at the same time but I'm still running stock tires and at 3800 miles my rear one is getting thin in the center. So I was wondering am I going to have any trouble running the stock front and an Anakee 2 rear which will be more on road styled?

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Do you know anyone who is capable of changing tires in your area? A friend?

The reason I ask is that while I commend you for helping out your dealer, changing tires isn't that hard of a job..

A set of Anakee 2 tires for the KLR from Motorcycle Superstore would be $235, shipped to your door (without tubes), and changing both typically takes me a bit over an hour in my own garage.

When money's an issue, and safe tires are a major safety item, consider changing them yourself or with a friend that's done it before.. It serves both the money saving issue, and if you're in the middle of nowhere, the knowledge of how to do it yourself could become very important information to store away in your head..

I usually figure that every 4th tire is free, since I buy them myself and install them myself.. I just installed a new Anakee 2 in the front of my BMW GS last week before leaving, since the current front was questionable (barely) but since I was going to be on 150 miles or so of gravel (in the middle of nowhere) and that I was going to be on the north shore of Lake Superior, I changed them just to play it safe..

And that brings me to your question.. Yes, changing just the rear on your bike and not changing the front will be fine!! :) Chances are, your rear is toast but your front has plenty of life left.. Change just the back and save up for the front, and change it when needed..

While changing out both front and back will really help handling, you're going to be good changing out just the one that needs changing now.

Sorry about the soapbox sermon on changing your own and saving money, but it's something to consider, and it's good knowledge to have..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Do you know anyone who is capable of changing tires in your area? A friend?

The reason I ask is that while I commend you for helping out your dealer, changing tires isn't that hard of a job..

A set of Anakee 2 tires for the KLR from Motorcycle Superstore would be $235, shipped to your door (without tubes), and changing both typically takes me a bit over an hour in my own garage.

When money's an issue, and safe tires are a major safety item, consider changing them yourself or with a friend that's done it before.. It serves both the money saving issue, and if you're in the middle of nowhere, the knowledge of how to do it yourself could become very important information to store away in your head..

I usually figure that every 4th tire is free, since I buy them myself and install them myself.. I just installed a new Anakee 2 in the front of my BMW GS last week before leaving, since the current front was questionable (barely) but since I was going to be on 150 miles or so of gravel (in the middle of nowhere) and that I was going to be on the north shore of Lake Superior, I changed them just to play it safe..

And that brings me to your question.. Yes, changing just the rear on your bike and not changing the front will be fine!! :) Chances are, your rear is toast but your front has plenty of life left.. Change just the back and save up for the front, and change it when needed..

While changing out both front and back will really help handling, you're going to be good changing out just the one that needs changing now.

Sorry about the soapbox sermon on changing your own and saving money, but it's something to consider, and it's good knowledge to have..
Well I don't have any way of changing the tire myself really and even more so don't have the time really right now to learn. I'm in college and have an extremely hectic schedule. However, I usually do order tires from MS and have them installed because they're usually cheaper than from the dealer, but this time I called the dealer to price the rear Anakee 2 and when he told $237 for the tire and $50 for install I decided to just spend the extra couple of bucks and buy the tire from them since I'm going to be riding 85 miles to the dealership and would have had to strap the tire on the bike somehow to get it downt there. Thanks though for the answer about difference in front and rear.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, I got me a rear Anakee 2 tire installed Saturday and I rode about 60 miles today on it! I really like it! It looks awesome on the bike! It corners much better than the factory tire! Even though I only changed the rear the bike already feels like it just falls into the corners even more than it already did! I rode it down my gravel road and across my pasture a couple times and it had much better traction than I expected for a more road oriented tire! I'm very happy and ready to get a matching front! The dealer ship actually only charged me $116 for the tire and 55 for install so after tax I ended up paying $187 for it all which was not bad since Motorcycle Superstore wanted $135 just for the tire!

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Just put my new Anakee's on my '95 KLR and as the original poster said, I was changing from Pirelli Knobbies and WHAT a DIFFERENCE. I've put Michelin's on a lot of vehicles and always the high cost is worth it imho.

YMMV,

John

1 - 20 of 20 Posts