Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
54, getting back into dual purpose riding. Came off an F11 250, to a KDX175, kids, FZR400, ZRX1100, YZF750R. Just sold the YZF..... outrageous bike if you ever have the chance to ride one. Looking to get a 40-650 dual purpose. Was originally going to go with a XR650L but from what I understand they are high maintenance. Can't handle a Suzuki, so it looks like it's a KLR650... unless there's something 400-450ish out there. Any help is appreicated.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
How do you plan to use your new bike? I'm not a big fan of XRL's, but they are not high maintenance. What's your ht & wt?

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts

SteadyEddie: Welcome to our little corner of the Net, the home of the world's most dedicated KLR 650 owners.

Reading is fun, but being involved is way better! Make us your online KLR 650 source.

Share your views, spread the word and bring your friends.

We are a virtual warehouse of information. The Forum Search function a helpful tool.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your KLR. You'll be able to show it off once you have 15 forum posts behind you.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mostly road but we've got a couple dirt roads up towards the hills. 5'8" 180 lbs. Sat on one of the KLRs before... little big. nothing against the KLR, would prefer the Honda, I just don't want to be rebuild head/valve jobs and such. Don't mind a plug change, simple stuff, I am annal about my equipment.

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
Just curious, why aren't you interested in the Suzuki's? I know a couple of guys with DR650's and they love them, lighter and lower than KLR's and from what I've heard fairly low maintenance and long lived. I have heard about the head/valve problems on the bigger XRL's. A fellow on another forum with one cobbled up his own oil cooler to decrease head temps and prolong the life of his, it seems to work and he's pretty anal about watching the temps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Son had a DR200 was a dog, and something about the looks..... I dunno. We had a beat KLX300 that he learned to ride on and that thing had some grapes!!! I should probably try and test ride each one, and see what performs the best for me. I'm just used to coming around a corner and kicking the ass end out, little air with the front tire.

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
Yup, the DR200 is a pokey bugger. DR 650 is a whole different beast, if you get a chance take one for a test ride. You might be pleasantly surprised :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Holy welcome sign KLR4FR, I'm a little off topic but hell if i care. sorry but i'm trying to throw 15 posts out. I thought the DRZ and KLR were quite similar, so much so that the two companies amalgamated and lowered production and research costs. Have i been mistaken for years?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Take a DR650 for a ride. It can be lowered with stock equip. It only needs a larger gas tank and a better seat.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Holy welcome sign KLR4FR, I'm a little off topic but hell if i care. sorry but i'm trying to throw 15 posts out. I thought the DRZ and KLR were quite similar, so much so that the two companies amalgamated and lowered production and research costs. Have i been mistaken for years?
You are perhaps thinking of the now-defunct joint venture wherein Kawasaki badged the DRZ400, and the essentially identical product was marketed by both Suzuki and Kawasaki. What did Kawasaki call the common machine? KLX400? Don't remember clearly; too lazy to research, it seems! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts