Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to ask this, I just acquired a 2001 with 10K miles on the ODO the party that I bought it from did not know what a doohikey was. He was the second owner and used it sparingly over 14 years of possession.

If I just attempt to adjust the tension per Clymer, and many good videos, what do you think the odds are that I will end up with garbage in my oil sump? Should I have the replacement parts in hand? The motor sounds pretty good there is the usual minor clack when cold if I lug the motor too much??? But otherwise there is pulling power up the Wazoo!

Oh and by the way my son has an 08 and I think that mine sounds better!

Wavey

·
Registered
642 Posts
I would like to ask this, I just acquired a 2001 with 10K miles on the ODO the party that I bought it from did not know what a doohikey was. He was the second owner and used it sparingly over 14 years of possession.

If I just attempt to adjust the tension per Clymer, and many good videos, what do you think the odds are that I will end up with garbage in my oil sump? Should I have the replacement parts in hand? The motor sounds pretty good there is the usual minor clack when cold if I lug the motor too much??? But otherwise there is pulling power up the Wazoo!

Oh and by the way my son has an 08 and I think that mine sounds better!

Wavey
It sounds like the original doohicky has not been replaced. Assuming this is the case, I would buy the Eagle Mike unit and install it on the 01 and 08.

Jason

·
Registered
2002 KLR 650
36 Posts
I have a 2002 KLR 650, with 11K, that I got recently. It had neglected maintenance. Doohickey inspect/replace was top priority for me. When I opened the case, the return spring was broken, the original doohickey was cracked (looks like from over tightening). Not adjustable at all. Chain was loose and front gear rubber was toast. Replaced gear and a torsion spring doohickey. Eagle Mike Doohickey is cheap insurance. good and easy way to learn your motor. Not all doohickeys fail like mine. Love my bike and enjoy working on it.

·
Registered
klr 650 c
184 Posts
Odds are 50/50 for the garbage in the sump, without adjusting, broken spring with no fuction just hanging 80percent

·
Registered
328 Posts
I bought my 2006 with about 3500 miles. Return spring broken. Fortunately all parts were still there..Eagle Mike to the rescue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts