Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi KLRforum,

I recently purchased a 1987 KLR650 that has about 8,500 miles on it. I never thought I would own a KLR650, but this purchase seemed like fate. I live in Ohio, and I was browsing motorcycle classifieds at work, as one does, and saw a 1987 KLR650 for sale in Alamogordo, New Mexico. It looked pristine, like a true time capsule, and it was running - the owner said he bought it a year ago and put about 3,000 miles on it. He only wanted to sell it to someone in person, with cash. So I left work that instant and went to the airport, and the next morning I saw the bike in person, paid the owner, and received the title. The bike is being shipped back to Ohio this coming week. I was really in love with the motorcycle when I saw it, and I could just tell that it has been waiting its whole life to go on all the adventures its siblings have long since been on. I already went and purchased the Rotella.

The other thing going on that makes this a bit of a weird purchase is that I am also expecting the arrival of a 2021 BMW R1250 GSA. So I will have a very old school adventure motorcycle and a very new school one. Not really thinking about my garage, and perhaps they are a bit redundant since they do basically the same thing, but sometimes these things just happen.

I look forward to learning a lot more about the KLR650 here.

·
Premium Member
8,624 Posts
One of my riding buddies owns # 000432. :)

Which he purchased from this same shop before mine.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
So, did you have any pics of that old scooter?

Inquiring minds want to know, and so do I! :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Congrats and welcome!! You’ll soon find those are two completely different bikes each with its own set of strengths. Actually a good pair to contrast each other. Enjoy them and ride safe !!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts