Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding bikes most my life, primarily off road. Am older now and my body don't heal as quick as it used to, that and more and more legal riding areas are being closed, so sold the dirtbike. Dealer made me what i thought was too good of deal to wait till spring so purchased an '09' yesterday. Have only ridin' it a total of 10miles which puts the odometer at the 11mile mark. Question, how do you all recommend breaking in a new engine? I've heard to keep the rpm's below 4k and to vary the speeds/rpms, don't keep it at a steady for extended periods. Your thoughts?

Looking forward to learning and sharing on your KLR forum.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
My '09 KLR was my 1st bike ever purchase. I broke it in easy as per the manual and I haven't had any problems with it what-so-ever. Don't know if that would have been any different if I'd "rode it like I stole it" but why take chances...

At any rate, I think you'll be happy with it!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Lot of debate on this one. I say meet in the middle and just ride it like normal. Don't overstress it and don't maintain the same RPM's for very long and you should be fine. I wish there was a final debate ending word from a manufacturer as to why they recommend what they do. Be nice to put this whole 30 year debate to bed!

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Wanderer couldn't agree with you more on this one.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I read the article and its a great thing to know. Now I wish I had a new KLR to break in. This likely explains why my sons 1997 runs so much better than my 2007.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Welcome basement-dude.

It's a great bike, and this is a great site!

Contrary to some break in methods, with laser guided machining,
and CNC machined parts, all tolerances are near perfect. The
standard break-in has changed drastically in the last decade or so.
I babied mine for a hundred miles, slowly going up and down thru
the gears and did two oil changes in that short time.

Been beating the crap out of it ever since! Runs perfect.

CheapMark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts