Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all!

I’m a newb with a new to me 2018 KLR650. New to reading tire wear. Pretty sure this year tire is done (5,600 miles on stock). Anybody mind taking a look and telling me what I’m looking at as far as “wear bars”? It seems like this tire has bare center tread?

Any solid recommendations for rear replacement tires for 80/20 street/trail.

Thanks in advance!

Nic

·
Registered
78 Posts
Welcome…be hard to take a look without a pic!
Have a read of this thread.

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
It seems like this tire has bare center tread?

Then it is past contact with the wear-bars, but if one had to, it would probably run another 200-500 miles (before touching cords) to get home from a long road trip. Rather than searching for a new tire on Sunday & Monday when most of the bike shops are closed.
When you change it, put a lock-blade or rigid hunting knife down thru its center-line to inspect its remaining rubber above cording.

Any solid recommendations for rear replacement tires for 80/20 street/trail.
Many riders like the Kenda K761's or Shinko E705's for that 80/20 usage.

·
Administrator
4,080 Posts
5600 miles on a stock rear tire is pretty good and without seeing the pictures I'd say it's probably time to replace it. As @pdwestman mentioned the Kenda 761 and Shinko 705 are great 80/20 tires. I've run them both. Get a little more wear out of the Kenda. Couldn't wear out the Shinko front.

I recently bought a set of Shinko 700's, which are more 60/40, which I hope to try this year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome…be hard to take a look without a pic!
Have a read of this thread.
Dang. Sorry. Here’s the picture. These are the stock tires that came on the bike… (5,600 miles on the odometer) so I’m presuming there USED to be separation on the tread “islands” along the center line… ?

I’ll check out that link. Thanks!
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle wheel Tread

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
If one looks closely at the sidewalls near the tread blocks one might notice tiny little triangles all the way around the perimeter of the sidewalls. Those are pointing to the area of the tread wear Bars.
I think I see a raised wear-bar between the RH just off-center knob and the worn RH middle tread block, to the LEFT of the brake hose loop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You just turned on a big lightbulb for me. Thank you.
If one looks closely at the sidewalls near the tread blocks one might notice tiny little triangles all the way around the perimeter of the sidewalls. Those are pointing to the area of the tread wear Bars.
I think I see a raised wear-bar between the RH just off-center knob and the worn RH middle tread block, to the LEFT of the brake hose loop.
Thank you! You just turned on a huge light bulb for me. Previously I couldn’t make sense of the wear-bar concept and how to read it. Now I think I understand! You were right, that section you indicated is the wear bar according to the triangle indicators on the side wall (now between two red lines). So, just reading the wear bar: this tire is near the end of life and due for replacement because there is only marginal tread higher than the wear bar. However, since the wear bar is not yet even with the top of the tread, this tire is not yet in the realm of having exceeded its safe tread life and could still safely go a few miles (as read only by the wear bar).
Thank you for helping me learn!
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
There might be another wear bar just above & to the right side, by the vertical dim red stripe?

When you replace it, cut it length-wise & look for a slight color/shade difference between the the tread rubber & the carcass rubber, just above the cording.
Some models/brands of tires have fairly thick tread rubber below the grooves & knobs. Makes them more puncture resistant, even when worn near smooth. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts