Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I finally "convinced" the wife that now is a great time for me to buy a bike. Shes not thrilled and has said so in many, many words (shes not known for brevity). I am a fairly new rider. I had a sport bike about 10 years ago for about 5 month and sold it because I was mega broke. Ive ridden small dirt bikes as a kid and more recently have putzed around on my brothers 05 KLR. I have decided on a KLR as I am a larger rider (6'3" and 270 lbs) and have a disdain for the styling of large cruisers. So I am currently window shopping and hopefully purchasing Marchish. I definitely want the newer style but I am hoping to find something 2012 or newer (mostly because I prefer the black wheels to the shiny ones). That brings me to why I am here. I figured who better to have their brains picked than current KLR riders.
#1- If looking at a used bike, is there anything I should keep an eye out for as far as issues or wear points, things that need replaced.
#2- If anyone has bought a new one recently, what can I truly expect to pay? I got a quote from a local dealer on a 2015 left over and looked like I was getting hammered with lots of little fees. 250 for the title work (our plates are 15 bucks and I cant imagine the title work costing that much extra) $150 "prep fee" $300 freight and a $5999 price tag. Looking at $7200 out the door. Seems steep.
#3- Anything in general I should know about the bike before purchasing?

If you've read this far, you are a trooper. I welcome any feedback you can give!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not sure what you can work in your area but I bought mine from a dealer brand new at the end of 2014. Bought the new edition and convinced him for $5500 (or 5400, can't remember) out the door. They kept trying to put tax on top and everything I told him that I wanted $5500 flat. They went for it because it was going to be a big payment for them as I was using my debit card. Would have been nice to walk in with nothing but cash, but that would take another day and I wanted the bike then. Hahha.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm taking a loan on my 401K (so I am paying myself the interest). That should allow me to go in with a fist full of cash! Does that give me leverage? I know in buying a car, cash is no longer king since the dealer cant make anything on the financing. Ive never purchased a new bike, so this is a new experience.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just depends. For me, I knew they hadn't sold many bikes that month so it was guaranteed revenue. Everyone likes a quick pay day. I would never finance through a dealer anyway. Any bank will have better financing than a dealership so long as your credit is decent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dealerships get paid either way. Doesn't matter if its cash or a loan. So many people think that cash is king and it's really not. Just like was stated above: Dealerships make just as much if not more on the back end (financing and product). Buying a motorcycle (at least a kawasaki) is a little different than how the car dealerships work in that I haven't seen the depth of back end product and financing up selling. Its different from dealership to dealership though. Id probably negotiate price without mentioning your paying cash, then say "hey if I pay cash, what can we do with the price now?" lol See what they say. More than likely that wont change the deal but you never know with some smaller family owned dealerships and such.
Honestly though, Id look for a used klr. You would save so much money and these things are pretty dependable. Not much seems to go wrong with them. If I was buying my KLR over again, Id probably find a nice used one around 2-3K. (which seems like a lot of used ones are around for that price).

By the way, ride over to Greensburg Pa. and pick up a set of aluminum panniers from me after you get your KLR :smile2: and join in on some of the group rides that are set up on ADVrider.com for this region. Link to my panniers:
http://www.klrforum.com/marketplace-classifieds/47001-gearz-adventure-motorcycle-panniers.html

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those look nice! I will keep it in mind. Dumb question, but can you feel them back there when your riding. Like are you aware they are there? Does the feel any different with them on?

After I get a few miles on my tires, I would love to go on a group ride! Sounds like a blast.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well my legs don't touch them at all and if you mount them right a passenger shouldn't have much of a problem with them there either. I do notice them when I first start riding with them, probably mainly because there loaded up and my suspension is sagging a little bit more from all my camping gear plus the panniers and rack. If one was riding with them on full time like a trip across the us or around the world Id def want a stiffer spring in the back. Other than that, you forget about them after u start riding for the most part.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts