Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks! At the ripe age of 38 I took and passed a motorcycle training source! Until now the only motorized 2-wheeler I've driven was a scooter in Bali for 2 days. I had a blast then and been wanting to get into riding every since. Well yesterday I closed the deal on my first bike! A 2006 KLR650 with ~7k miles & soft panniers for $1800 that's been well cared for. I've read these are terrific starter bikes and are virtually indestructible. More to my delight, similar to my Honda Element, there is a strong community of owners out here to share stories and ideas. I'm looking forward to learning how to be a good and responsible rider!

Any advice for a newb? The Doohickey upgrade will be my first project.

·
Administrator
3,676 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the purchase. If I found another Gen 1 with that kinda mileage and for that kinda price I would be all over it. Post a picture when you have a chance.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum & hopefully you have read this already?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum & hopefully you have read this already?

Thanks for passing this along! Very helpful. I enjoy doing all my own work on my vehicles, but its a major bummer when something goes wrong.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Check. Your. Oil. Every fill-up.

Know what your oil consumption is.

They are pretty tough, but not if you run low on oil or the air box gets Dirt and dust through it. Since this is new to you, go through the full maintenance checklist, paying careful attention to DP’s list of mistakes.

·
Premium Member
2014 KLR650
16 Posts
Welcome, new here myself, although considerably older (40 years !) ...
Turns out you need 15 posts before you can post pictures.
So now I do 😃

1 - 6 of 6 Posts