Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brand new rider here located in Charleston, SC, only ridden a few times. Did a bunch of research and found that for a taller rider (6'5'') the KLR650 is perfect. Just got my bike today - 2005 with 13000 miles on it. Tires are brand new 80/20 which is perfect because I'm going to want to get good on the road before taking it off road. Paid $1600 for it from a guy off craigslist, think I got a good deal. He did all the work on the bike himself and took very good care of it. Replaced the doohickey, did some carburetor mod that gave it a bit more power (if someone could explain what this did I would really appreciate it).

I going to be on this forum at first because the chain needs to be replaced, possibly the sprockets too. I am going to try to do this myself with a couple friends who know a good amount about bikes. Any help here would be great, what chain to get, any common mistakes...

Also I am going to want to paint the bike, I'm thinking a matte black would look good - but maybe ill steal someones paint scheme from in here. So what kind of paint works best would be a great thing to know.

Picture of the bike is in my album.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Paint it with Bedliner. :35a:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Carb mod was probably the .22 cent mod. It's literally putting a .22 cent washer in the carb...... Search it on here or YouTube even. A great little mod. As for paint I second the box liner idea. Looks great and holds up well. Welcome aboard

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy shit .... What a Ride!
Cheers, Nick

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Welcome!!
KLR will fit you well once you get it set up for you. Possibly handlebar risers, comfy seat, etc. Is it the lime green color? If so I wouldn't paint it.
Yes install new sprockets with the chain. You can get a set from rockymountainatv, their brand name, for quite abit of savings. You can install them yourself with ease.
If you want to change the color you might look into plasti-dip or a satin black/gloss black paint scheme.
I don't see the pics of your bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's red, the guy who had it before me started repainting it red but didn't finish. So the front plastic around the headlight and the rear plastic haven't been painted and are pretty faded. I put a picture in my album, I would just link a photo but the forum won't let me. Do you know of any good guides for changing the chain? I've never done it before.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
No but it's easy to do. Especially if you buy the setup from rckymtn, as the chain will have the right links, so you won't have to cut it to size.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts