Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my new Corbin seat! I needed a few more inches between me and the ground and this did the trick. Great seat! The quality compared to the OEM seat is impressive. Her's some pics:

·
Registered
4 Posts
is it comfortable after riding for an hour+?

The Sargent low seat is approx. 2" lower than stock. How low is the Corbin? Looks about 2" lower also.

How's the comfort after they removed all the padding? I the corbin wider than stock?

What did it cost you? Shipping?

Thanks, hope you enjoy the seat.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The seat and shipping was $419.00. It's about 2" lower and more of a saddle type seat. I've only ridden about five-miles and like the more secure feeling of the saddle. Materials are very high quality, and as I mentioned above and beyond the OEM seat. There is indeed less padding but the design is better. I'll get back on this after a longer ride.

I may also have an 2012 OEM seat (w/100 miles on it) for sale as well, but haven't decided yet.

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
Grat's on the new seat. Just curious, did you get the seat to engage the little metal clip on the tank? I had the same seat and I vaguely remember it being a little tricky to put on my 08... Just wondering because I remember the front of the seat pretty much touching the tank (like the stocker) and there seems to be more space on yours. Might just be the camera angle though. They are a very well made seat, mine just didn't agree with my body shape so I ended up selling it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have been considering purchasing a lowered corbin seat and removing the lowering links and putting the OEM ones back on. If it really is two inches lower with the corbin seat I think I might actually make the purchase. The lowering links also lower the klr by 2 inches I think.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Grat's on the new seat. Just curious, did you get the seat to engage the little metal clip on the tank? I had the same seat and I vaguely remember it being a little tricky to put on my 08... Just wondering because I remember the front of the seat pretty much touching the tank (like the stocker) and there seems to be more space on yours. Might just be the camera angle though. They are a very well made seat, mine just didn't agree with my body shape so I ended up selling it.
At first, I had a hard time lining up the seat bolts and thought they didn't fit, but taking the seat off and aligning the metal clip in front first, it worked out with some pressure on the seat to align the seat bolts. Yes, there is some space between the seat and tank, but it seems to work for lack of a better word. Again, the quality of this seat is above and beyond the OEM seat.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been considering purchasing a lowered corbin seat and removing the lowering links and putting the OEM ones back on. If it really is two inches lower with the corbin seat I think I might actually make the purchase. The lowering links also lower the klr by 2 inches I think.
I decided against lowering the links due to what it does to the changing the angle of lean with the kick stand (so I am told). I'm surprised at the angle, close to vertical that the current kick stand is. I'd appreciate a bit more lean.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
looks like its gunna be bunching the boys together.
We had a discussion, well more of a "I'm the boss of you" discussion the boys came into line, on how to divide the work. I told them this isn't a bicycle,and they were ok. Now Mr. Pucker who has to bare the weight is concerned, however I'm losing weight! 26lbs. on the year. :)

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
I have the same seat, and I love it. I can ride all day in total comfort.

It is hard to get the seat bolts to line up. You have to push it forward really hard.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the same seat, and I love it. I can ride all day in total comfort.

It is hard to get the seat bolts to line up. You have to push it forward really hard.
You sir are right! but it lined up right with a little muscle. It's a good tight fit. The weather here in Nebraska and my schedule is prohibiting me from riding the KLR this week to get a good feel for this seat! Gotta pay taxes and licensing tomorrow, ugh...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
idk i guess im just not a big fan of the up slope on the front of the seat. i've ridden other bikes that have that similar design and im always having to re-adjust my pants. i do like the idea of a dished butt conforming seat though...sounds romantic.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd like to give an update but I need my truck the rest of the week, and rain is forecast for the weekend.

Hey, where can I find one of those registration/license plate holders anyway? Had to register and pay taxes on the KLR ($531) and the Ridgeline ($430) today. OUCH!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am 6' 285 lbs.any suggestions on an aftermarket seat.I made one 2000 mile trip on the bike and it took me 2-3 weeks for my back to quit hurting.I am used to long trips as I made a trip to Alaska 2 years ago this June with no problems on a Yamaha FJR 1300.I have to have another seat or long trips are out of the question.Any ideas out there?????

·
Registered
522 Posts
You are very close to my size. You do not want Stock or Sargent. I am getting closer and closer to this: http://www.day-long.com/

Currently, I have the Sargent, a Wally world ATV pad, and a set of sweet cheeks. (search for it on this forum) The sweet cheeks have been a saving grace so far, but I can't ever say I have been comfortable as on my BMW k100lt that I used to have.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am 6' 285 lbs.any suggestions on an aftermarket seat.I made one 2000 mile trip on the bike and it took me 2-3 weeks for my back to quit hurting.I am used to long trips as I made a trip to Alaska 2 years ago this June with no problems on a Yamaha FJR 1300.I have to have another seat or long trips are out of the question.Any ideas out there?????

·
Registered
122 Posts
Best way to tell how good any brand of seat is. Watch the for sale ads. You don't see many Russell Day Longs for sale.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Based on a few pics, I have a lot of gear to add to the KLR. Basically I'd be happy with a pack that sits on top of the back deck. I mounted a $5.00 milk crate that seems to do the job which is more than I had with my KZ550. Not to change the subject, but any other cheap alternatives out there?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts