Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Oooo!! Fresh can of worms!!! :)

Jeepman,
We need a bit more info..

Are you going to go off road at all, and if so, what sort of terrain?

Do you have a price in mind?

Do you ride in the rain much?

Are you changing them yourself?

Are you an aggressive road rider?

Are you after grip or mileage?

Give us answer on these questions, and anything else you can come up with, and we'll try to narrow it down to something that you'd be happy with..

If you don't answer these questions, you'd be better off opening up the Motorcycle-Superstore.com website, picking a number, closing your eyes and clicking until you come across a tire that'll fit your bike. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm with you jeepman. I've only at 1800 miles and looks like the factory Dunlop has had better days. Read a lot on this forum about what other guys have tried. For me I think I'll try the shinko 705. Tire looks killer. Plus I'm like 90% street riding so far.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
76 Posts
continental escapes are great tires though a bit pricey at 130.00
I have about 5000 on the Shinko 705 and really like them allot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bike will be on the road more than off roading, it has a nob tire on it now. i really dont care about brand or price,just like a good wearing tire that will could go off the road if I needed it to.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Shinko 705 lasted me 6k miles for a rear, probably still had another 500-1000 left but I was going on a long trip so changed it early. I ride mostly street with the occasional fire road. Sand, mud or loose dirt is not very fun with them. I use a 130/90/17 as I like the taller tire and there is no rubbing. For a front I am trying the Shinko 700. Not too impressed yet. May keep playing around with fronts as needed, but love the 705 rear

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
Kenda 761.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
I'm with you jeepman. I've only at 1800 miles and looks like the factory Dunlop has had better days. Read a lot on this forum about what other guys have tried. For me I think I'll try the shinko 705. Tire looks killer. Plus I'm like 90% street riding so far.

I'm running the 705's right now. Decent tire and I'm happy with it but for the price next time I'll go back to the Kenda 761. The Shinko's won't last as long as the Kenda from what I am seeing for wear and they are at the same price point.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm running the 705's right now. Decent tire and I'm happy with it but for the price next time I'll go back to the Kenda 761. The Shinko's won't last as long as the Kenda from what I am seeing for wear and they are at the same price point.
What pressure do you run at rear if I may ask?

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
What pressure do you run at rear if I may ask?
Sure you may ask. Doesn't mean I'll remember. Think it's around 36 psi. Ride mostly street and hard pack gravel. In loose gravel it's a little squirmy but I'm too lazy to air down.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Was just curious as I was an idiot when I first got my bike an ran rear tire pressure too low, took a lot of life off of them. When I bumped to 35 got a lot more life out of em. I'm to lazy to air down too, plus a little bit o' squirrlyness (is that a word?) makes the ride a wee bit more fun if not in a group that is.

·
Registered
341 Posts
90% of the tires sold today are probably 90% satisfactory for 90% of the riding done by 90% or the riders, so...

wait a minute; now I've confused myself...

Oh yeah... just buy the cheap Shinko 244s. Mount 'em yourself, don't bother balancing, and you will have spent, maybe, a grand total of $100 bucks to carry you on any terrain, in any weather, for another 7,000 miles.

·
Administrator
8,305 Posts
Over on another forum where they talk about spendy German bikes that have a blue and white logo, someone started talking about how satisfied they were with Shinko tires.

Holeeeee Carp! The Kool-Aid drunkards were all over the the place, barfing into the water troughs and laying in the doorways. Horrors!

Fact is, Shinkos are good tires.

T

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Tires

I'm going to try a Duro HF904 & HF 903
( 130/80-17 & 90/90-21 )

I put a Duro on rear of my NX250 this spring and I've been over gravel, minor mud / water, and some light sand.
Seems to be good in those conditions. I'm not a hard rider. They haven't let me "down".

Handle good on street. Good traction on corners, Hi speed.

Remember, this is on a NX250. I'll find out how the KLR is when current set wears out.

I've delt with these guys and have had good luck dealing with them..
http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=200_937

Free shiping.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts