Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 22 been riding for the last 4 years now, mostly a ninja 500, and a TLR 1000, but a few others along the way. I live in western ny, and I usually put on about 10k miles a year. When winter hits I put up the TLR and just keep the ninja out, So recently while riding in the 30 degree weather I decided I should look into finally getting a klr, I've always wanted one, and always kept my eyes out for an older 90s one, now I found a real nice looking 08 up on craigslist. So I figured I hop on here and make sure I'm making the right decision.

I'm considering buying the 08, some better tires, and some cold gear, and riding all year. Any advise on how plausible this is? The cold isn't really an obstacle, I've been doing it on the ninja for a while. Just wondering how will the bike handle in the snow.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey dude - if your born to ride then go for it. My buddy sent me some utube videos of a couple on a GS & a klr loaded up and with spiked tires, & they were cruising down the Dalton Hwy in Alaska with Truckers flying down the road with them. if you have the right set up & gear then ride on.
Later. :animal0019:

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
Do some research on the 2008 and decide if it's the bike you want. They are plagued with oil consumption problems. Some people can live with that and some can't. Locally it's the most For Sale model of KLR on the used market.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks bw!
Do some research on the 2008 and decide if it's the bike you want. They are plagued with oil consumption problems. Some people can live with that and some can't. Locally it's the most For Sale model of KLR on the used market.
And really? do the 08s burn oil? I remember reading that they made a change in 09 that bettered the oil consumption, but I didnt know it was a problem

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
It's not a problem if using a quart of oil in 600 miles is acceptable by you. It is a well documented condition that you will find discussed at length on just about any KLR Forum.

Google is your friend on this one.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Thanks bw!

And really? do the 08s burn oil? I remember reading that they made a change in 09 that bettered the oil consumption, but I didnt know it was a problem
Yea my 08 burns oil. It's burned about 3 gallons in 40 K miles. Just keep an eye on the level and it's not a big deal. There is a 685 kit available for about $400 (includes boring the cylinder) that does stop the burning.

I'm of the opinion that Kawasaki hasn't fixed the oil burning in the gen 2 KLRs. Typically they will burn oil if run >5 K rpm for extended periods.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm of the opinion that Kawasaki hasn't fixed the oil burning in the gen 2 KLRs. Typically they will burn oil if run >5 K rpm for extended periods.
That's good info to know. I've been wondering if there was a certain range that seems to be more susceptible to the oil burning issue.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh wow, well thanks man, I'm looking that up now.

Yea my 08 burns oil. It's burned about 3 gallons in 40 K miles. Just keep an eye on the level and it's not a big deal. There is a 685 kit available for about $400 (includes boring the cylinder) that does stop the burning.

So spec, you've put 40k on one, what are your thoughts? Any regrets?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
So spec, you've put 40k on one, what are your thoughts? Any regrets?

I comute on my bike 200 miles per week (rural roads 60 mph) plus occasional weekend rides. It's just about to turn over 46K miles.

It's been a good bike for the most part. I did get a short in the wire harness that put me on the side of the road for a bit. There's a recall on the harness but I just rerouted and added some insulation and it hasn't been an issue since. The oil burning is annoying I don't think that any bike of recent manufacture should be using oil like it does. It's also annoying that Kawasaki won't admit to the problem, probably won't buy a new bike from them again.

I bought the KLR after spending a couple of years riding a DRZ 400S. I wanted more road manners but still some off-road capability. The KLR is much better on the road but much worse then the DRZ in the dirt. I have dirt bikes so that's not an issue really. I'm ready to buy something along the lines of a V-Strom, more road and even less dirt capable. I don't ride my KLR on SoCal freeways it's under powered to be running 70+ IMHO. Yea it will go 70 but there's no reserve of horsepower to get out of trouble.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
It's not a problem if using a quart of oil in 600 miles is acceptable by you.
This is exaggerated bullshit. SOME KLR's burn oil, SOME do NOT. MOST of them burn oil when ran above 5k for an extended period of time. Mine hasn't burned any oil. Running at 75mph down the interstate doesn't appeal to me.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
This is exaggerated bullshit. SOME KLR's burn oil, SOME do NOT. MOST of them burn oil when ran above 5k for an extended period of time. Mine hasn't burned any oil. Running at 75mph down the interstate doesn't appeal to me.
I agree "SOME" KLR's use oil but they don't come with an Oil Burner label attached and most sellers won't admit to it. So it's a crap shoot - you get a good one or you get a burner. I'm not a gambling man so I won't be buying one soon, no exaggeration.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I comute on my bike 200 miles per week (rural roads 60 mph) plus occasional weekend rides. It's just about to turn over 46K miles.

It's been a good bike for the most part. I did get a short in the wire harness that put me on the side of the road for a bit. There's a recall on the harness but I just rerouted and added some insulation and it hasn't been an issue since. The oil burning is annoying I don't think that any bike of recent manufacture should be using oil like it does. It's also annoying that Kawasaki won't admit to the problem, probably won't buy a new bike from them again.

I bought the KLR after spending a couple of years riding a DRZ 400S. I wanted more road manners but still some off-road capability. The KLR is much better on the road but much worse then the DRZ in the dirt. I have dirt bikes so that's not an issue really. I'm ready to buy something along the lines of a V-Strom, more road and even less dirt capable. I don't ride my KLR on SoCal freeways it's under powered to be running 70+ IMHO. Yea it will go 70 but there's no reserve of horsepower to get out of trouble.
I'm actually between a DRZ 400 and a klr.. I don't plan on using this thing on the highways though if I get it, I have a sport bike, and a touring bike haha. This will be my, commute in rain/snow bike and for some lite off roading.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I'm actually between a DRZ 400 and a klr.. I don't plan on using this thing on the highways though if I get it, I have a sport bike, and a touring bike haha. This will be my, commute in rain/snow bike and for some lite off roading.
My .02...

The DRZ is way more nimble and would be much better to learn off-road skills then a KLR. The DRZ has better suspension, brakes, is lighter and has a snappier motor.

The DRZ does have some issues like every bike. The motor side cases are thin, there's after market glue on panels for that. The counter shaft sprocket doesn't stay tight and will leak oil. Most use red loctite on the shaft itself but it's still a problem area. The OEM cam chain tensioner doesn't work very well, there's an aftermarket manual version.

ThumperTalk has a good forum on the DRZ

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm not much of a snow-biker but the KLR doesn't mind the cold (although it may need the jetting adjusted first because they tend to run lean from the factory). As far as winter riding conditions go, the laws of physics are pretty straight forward. You loose balance rapidly when traction disappears. In the 70's my DT-250 wore studded trials tires and it did okay. The '08 KLR is a bit nose heavy for me in the snow, but it's as good as any bike otherwise and the powerband is pretty forgiving. I rode every month last I was stateside for the last three years and don't see that changing. Watchout for ice and chunks of crap flying off semi-trucks.
Regards
Mark

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
In your case, I'd get a DRZ.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the responses and insight guys! I'm also considering buying this instead for the same use. syracuse.craigslist.org/mcy/2786884155 but I feel a 250 might be really under powered on my commute but it'd be a lot lighter than the klr. Idk I guess. Have any of you ever had a point where you thouggt damn my klr is way too heavy for this? I guess I should probably test ride one and see. I'm under the impression that the klr will feel too tall and heavy for me to have fun on... Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
You can get a KLX250 and turn it into a 351 with pumper carb if you wish. That'd be better than a DRZ IMHO.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts