Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
Just about to take delivery of my first KLR. Got any hints or tips?
Used to ride a Honda CBR600 so I'm looking forward to hitting some dirt for the first time!

:character0029:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hints and Tips !!!!!
Keep the tank side up right and the tires on the ground !!!!!

Have fun..........

(oh Ya ! forgot to mention.... eventually the KLR will run out of gas..... but it's long time before that happens)

Good riding.....enjoy

·
Registered
46 Posts
Chances are good you will hit the dirt...even at slow speed... I was slowly riding a 2 track road (2 tire tracks with grass in the middle) when the side of the front tire caught traction on a 3" high ridge of dirt and slammed the handlbars sideways and off I went...recovering from broken collarbone...
so be careful when riding slow, things can still happen fast...
daveS

·
Registered
31 Posts
2sullys,

I'm out near Plant City/ Lakeland. Where do yall ride in the Melbourne area? I enjoy that part of the state very much. I've assumed its not Melbourne Australia.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guy Needing Help

KLR coming tomorrow; wife needs to know about riding double; stability; safety, et.al. Anything I can tell her?

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
For your wife:

Never take your feet off the pegs.
Don't try to help direct the bike.
Hold on tight around the waist if possible.
Wave to other bikers.

You should set up a code for things that might come up. If she needs a break, tap on the shoulder, etc.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Oh yeah....

I would take some considerable time getting to know the new bike before I took a passenger on. Also, don't push her comfort level at all. This can be a fun thing you do together, but if she gets freaked out, it's over. Also, I would be very hesitant to go anywhere near dirt with a passenger for a LONG time.

Make sure she has all the gear. ATGATT. Armored everything and a full face helmet. I can't imagine anything much worse than sitting in the emergency room with my wife wishing I has bought a full face helmet.

Not trying to be a downer. Have fun with the new bike!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Scratch up the $$ and both take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation basic course. You'll both learn a lot and her comfort level will be much greater (and yours) then get her a bike.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Big Iron has the best idea yet...That course is well worth the money. Highly Recommend. As a matter of fact I will be taking the adavanced course again this spring for a refresher and get my bad habits back in check.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I would say not to get too carried away with the dirt thing right off the bat. KLR 650's are big heavy bikes that require some body english when riding off road. These are not CR125's and you will note that as soon as you get in a slick spot or fail to make a summit when climbing.

If you have a tall windscreen or buy one you might want to lose that before getting into dirt bike mode. I guess I'm saying KLR's are nice but if you wanna haise some serious hell you need a dirt bike.

Be careful!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts