Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Just picked up a 2006 KLR 650 today. Bike seems to be in very good shape with only 14000km on it. I have been riding on and off for 28yrs. Scooter to GSXR to naked bikes to cruiser now this. Anything I should know about these before the bike season start here? I live in Atlantic Canada. It’s a balmy -6 Celsius today. I also test drive the bike today lol.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just did. Thanks for that. I have some time to play around with things before my riding season starts. The bike came with both the stock and supertapp mufflers. Any pros/cons to one vs the other. My last bike was a cruiser and it was jetted with cobra slash cuts. I found it really loud and it kinda droned on when on the highway. Also I have read about people changing out the front sprocket to a 16 tooth one. Is this a complete front, rear and new chain deal or just the sprocket? Thanks

·
Registered
197 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
I installed a sixteen tooth sprocket on my KLR a couple weeks back It has 5000km on it.
If your chain has a lot of kilometres/wear its probably not a good idea to just replace the front sprocket.
I usually replace chains and front sprockets before the rear sprocket starts to show wear.
Running a new front sprocket with a worn chain could be a problem.
At 14000km might be a good idea to replace the chain if the front sprocket teeth are starting to wear.

Loosen the rear axle loosen the chain adjusters, remove the sprocket cover and remove the sprocket nut.
I strongly recommend nitrile gloves when handling the parts under the cover as they can be greasy and dirty.
Swap the sprocket out and reassemble. Torque the sprocket nut holding the rear brake on. make sure and properly adjust the chain.

Terry

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. Any suggestion on where to get a decent sprocket? Fortnine? Or just go to the dealer?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I will order one from there. There is very little wear on the current set up as it is.

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
It is best to Loosen the front sprocket nut while the rear axle & chain adjusters are still Tight.

You will need to slide the rear adjusters FULLY Forward to have enough chain slack to get the old sprocket off & larger one on. Then lightly snug the rear axle and evenly adjust the chain adjusters until the lower run of chain can be lifted to 'just touch' the rear tip of the rubber underslider.

Now Torque the front nut, double check the chain slack, (I then wade up a rag or slip a screwdriver between chain & rear sprocket to pull the axle Hard into the adjusters and bearings) then tighten rear axle & snug adjusters.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That’s a great tip. Thanks so much. Does the sprocket make a noticeable difference while riding? How are these bikes on the highway. My m50 was great and my sons ninja is fun (except I am getting to old for speed). I have never owned a dual purpose bike.

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
............... Does the sprocket make a noticeable difference while riding? How are these bikes on the highway.................... I have never owned a dual purpose bike.
Some, I think it calculates to about 6% difference.

They will get you there & back. They are not a crotch-rocket, nor a barca-lounger.
I've ridden 748 miles of asphalt in one day, on my KLR. And many 300, 400 & 500 mile days.

They will allow you / encourage you to explore all the side roads and dirt roads that you have been passing by.
You will never know if it is a dead-end until you find the end and you now have enough fuel to find out.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the help with this. I have read quite a bit about the klr and with a bike that has been around as long as they have I figured it would be a good one to get. I can’t wait until things are warm enough and ice/snow free here to get out and use it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Its -6 here on the west coast too. I am eagerly waiting for spring to get my KLR out as well.

Terry

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like we are heading into the + this week though. Should be around 5/6 all week. I really can’t wait. Had a pretty crap end to my season last year. Got hit by a suv on my m50 on the way home from work. A few days in the icu and a dozen broken bones later...now I can’t wait to get back on again

·
Administrator
8,282 Posts
Proper care and feed of the SuperTrapp muffler is important. This short video will demonstrate a very good method.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the video. It wasn’t about the supertrapp though. I actually switched it back to stock.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What do you mean by market mods. I am looking at sourcing the doohickey now. I am in Canada so the shipping is going to be pricey.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Gnarly Parts in Chilliwack has the doohicky and aftermarket gaskets. I got mine from Twisted throttle.ca.
Both have free shipping for orders over a certain amount.

Where are you located?

Terry

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am in Saint John NB. Twistedthrottle shows thé kit is back ordered right now. Do I need the special wrench to do this on is there another one that would work?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Here is the wrench I used 1 1/4" heated and bent to clear the magnets.
If you were closer I would send it to you. Maybe a local shop would lend you the tools if you put a deposit on them.

Terry

1 - 20 of 45 Posts