Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

New member here, been dancing around KLRs for years but finally threw my leg over one today and bought a cheap one thinking I'd be able to fix it, although methinks it's toast. Anyway, been riding bikes for years, although this is my first kawi. Main road bike rn is an 1150GS and dedicated track bike is a gxr. Looking forward to snagging another one in the near future, and have been reading a ton on the forums in the meantime. Awesome resource...thank you all for being here.

-gs

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
1,201 Posts
This is the current situation. Bike ran without oil apparently for a while.

View attachment 38124
That’s what happens when you know there’s a problem, but you pin the throttle wide open instead :ROFLMAO:

You may need replacement cams, caps, head, & valve cover at the very least. Damage looks bad.

Reactions: GummyShark

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perhaps someone can chime in...I still have to crack into the eng...well...remove the broken parts, anyway. From the reading I have been doing, it looks like BEST case scenario is that I can just swap an entire new head on to the existing engine, assuming that the cylinder isn't scored (not likely.) BUT!!! Assuming I'm that lucky, do I understand correctly that that will work? Head needs to come from a gen 2 KLR and it's not shared between other bikes, right? TIA

·
Premium Member
12,006 Posts
I don't see any aluminum smear, squeezing up alongside the RH EX cam bearing cap. Or loose/stretched bolts. And the cam bearing cap does not appear to be cracked or broken.

It is very, very rare that a loose rivet on the KACR allows the flyweight to extend far enough for the flyweight to contact the forward lip of the Cylinder Head. But it has happened, without haven been run out of oil (from pics I've viewed in past 13 years). I have had one sloppy rivet Welded on a customers bike in 35 years.

You need to pull that RH EX cam bearing cap & inspect it (show us pics).
If it is scarred, Engine Dynamics can probably install bronze half-shell bearings.

You may only need a new/used camshaft, valve cover, gasket & measure/re-shim ALL of the tappet clearances.

Cylinder head from 1987-2018 will bolt straight on (COMPLETE with cam bearing caps!!). 2008-2018 head would need an Eagle Mike AIS block-off plate installed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't see any aluminum smear, squeezing up alongside the RH EX cam bearing cap. Or loose/stretched bolts. And the cam bearing cap does not appear to be cracked or broken.

It is very, very rare that a loose rivet on the KACR allows the flyweight to extend far enough for the flyweight to contact the forward lip of the Cylinder Head. But it has happened, without haven been run out of oil (from pics I've viewed in past 13 years). I have had one sloppy rivet Welded on a customers bike in 35 years.

You need to pull that RH EX cam bearing cap & inspect it (show us pics).
If it is scarred, Engine Dynamics can probably install bronze half-shell bearings.

You may only need a new/used camshaft, valve cover, gasket & measure/re-shim ALL of the tappet clearances.

Cylinder head from 1987-2018 will bolt straight on (COMPLETE with cam bearing caps!!). 2008-2018 head would need an Eagle Mike AIS block-off plate installed.
Much obliged! The PO said he ran it out of oil, so I'm expecting journals to be trashed too. I'll post back when I crack into the head and see what I have.

·
Premium Member
KLRs: 2013, 2005, 1998; 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
2,731 Posts
The crank and con rod don't have journal bearings. Those are rollers, so probably no damage. Typically, just he head needs to be fixed. But, "while you're in there" people often use this an excuse to install a 685 or 692 big bore. Taking off the head is 80% of the work. Pulling off the cylinder is only another 20% or so. That way, you will have a practically new engine.

·
Premium Member
12,006 Posts
Yah, contemplating it for sure.
If it burned most of its engine oil once, it will try to do so again, if one is neglectful about checking & adding as needed.
Which could be as much as 2 - 3 times a day on really bad ones.

·
Registered
172 Posts
As a person who bought a cheap KLR because the PO burned it dry of oil, I know the feeling. Look on eBay for a used head. Be sure to read the fine print to ensure the journals aren't trash. I bought a used one with bent valves for $200 so I swapped the valves I had over to the used head and lapped them. I probably lapped them out of spec, but bike runs fine and is a joy to ride. I went ahead and did all the mods while it was apart. If you need a new cover, I have a spare from my original head, it has a little bit of scarring from the KACR popping up, but will work just fine. You can have it for $10+Shipping, shoot me a PM.

Also, if your KLR is one with the deep hole issue, I'll throw the spacer I have in for free.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Bike had about 1/2 a quart of oil in the bottom. The exhaust cam basically wallowed out the journals enough to where the chain was able to jump and wedged itself in the guide. What say the gurus, is this thing salvageable? Anybody have an idea about what the engine dynamics repair runs? Intake side looks pretty mint, except the part where the timing chain ground into the larger of the journals.

Gas Auto part Cylinder Nickel Metal
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Bicycle part
Automotive tire Gas Water Automotive wheel system Rim
Tire Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Wheel
Wood Fixture Household hardware Gas Auto part
Wood Auto part Household hardware Fixture Nut
Wood Fixture Gas Auto part Door
Wood Gas Auto part Font Metal
Blue Wood Flooring Hardwood Tool

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As a person who bought a cheap KLR because the PO burned it dry of oil, I know the feeling. Look on eBay for a used head. Be sure to read the fine print to ensure the journals aren't trash. I bought a used one with bent valves for $200 so I swapped the valves I had over to the used head and lapped them. I probably lapped them out of spec, but bike runs fine and is a joy to ride. I went ahead and did all the mods while it was apart. If you need a new cover, I have a spare from my original head, it has a little bit of scarring from the KACR popping up, but will work just fine. You can have it for $10+Shipping, shoot me a PM.

Also, if your KLR is one with the deep hole issue, I'll throw the spacer I have in for free.
Thank you for the offer! I'm still taking stock of what I have here, and I don't know what the deep hole issue is, so I'll have to look into that. Glad you were able to get yours back together.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thank you for the offer! I'm still taking stock of what I have here, and I don't know what the deep hole issue is, so I'll have to look into that. Glad you were able to get yours back together.
Deep hole issue is for the KLRs of 2008 and early 2009 where one of the starter gears shaft holes was too deep on the side cover, allowing the shaft to slide too far and cause binding and other issues.

·
Premium Member
12,006 Posts
Welp. Heard back from Engine Dynamics. Head is too trashed to repair.
I'll just guess that it might be because of the amount of damage at the Rear of the LH EX bearing. Looks very close to the dowel pin support area.

Did Engine Dynamics explain the reason why it is non-repairable with their technique?

It is kind of unusual for the LH EX bearing to suffer more damage than the RH EX bearing, from pics I've seen over the past 13 years on forums.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would say that you should keep an eye out on eBay and maybe if you're lucky, you can find a head that isn't insanely overpriced. I would think that if you can find one for $500 or less, you should grab it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts