Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I have two KLRs (for now), a 1999 and a 2011. I bought the 2011 new to replace my 99 in July of 2011. It's taken me some time to bring myself to sell the old girl, she's been good to me and still purrs like a kitten! But alas, tomorrow she'll be someone else's bike! I haven't yet brought myself to take my 2011 off road yet... She's a bit beefier than the 99, but I've been reluctant to do so for fear of damaging all of the plastic she's got on her. I live in Hawaii (for now), but I'll be moving to the Baton Rouge, LA area next summer. If anyone is close to that area I'd love to join you for some trail riding, or just a day ride on the asphalt. Also, if any of you know any good Louisiana trails close, or within an hour or two of Baton Rouge, I'm all ears! :desismiley1:

Mike (KLRISTA)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! There isn't much in the way of trail riding here so don't be too jealous! At least here on Oahu... There's really only Kahuku trails on the North Shore, and you have to pay for that!!! :)

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Welcome KLRista!
Lots of good people on here and good info too. I recomend SW Motec crash bars ASAP for the new bike. Best 250$ I spent other than the riding gear. I laid mine down at highway speed due to a rear flat and the crash bars saved all that new and expensive plastic. Not a scratch on the fairing but the leftside bar was scuffed somewhat!!

Regards....just jeff

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow justjeff! Looking at that pic makes me want those crash bars yesterday!

Thanks!

Mike (KLRISTA)

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Wow justjeff! Looking at that pic makes me want those crash bars yesterday!

Thanks!

Mike (KLRISTA)
The scuffed crash bar! Not bad considering we slid about 75 feet! Notice the highway peg folded around 180 degrees!

Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
452 Posts
Welcome brother, alot KLR die hards here with good info . LA is my bith place some really cool places to see down there ..

i fully understand not wanting to hurt the pretty big plastics on the 2011 ...

Im in same boat i have a 2001 and a 2012 ...Lately ive been going further and further on the 2012 since my 2001 is down for a top end rebuild right now .

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Welcome to the site, it has amny great members here and a better laid back atmosphere compared to the other sites.....I'm sure you will enjoy the stay. Crash bars should be the first thing you buy for any bike IMHO, every bike knows it will one day be lying on it's side and not standing tall. Just price out fairing parts and that should convince you....again, enjoy, grab a drink and welcome :13:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Wayne... I did just that today after I let the old gal go. Watching another man ride my trusty green 99 off was tad sad. But moving on I must, the wife was just not into me having two klr's in the garage. So now I'm really beginning the farkling process for the 2011 after having for about a year and a half now. I put the new doo on her last weekend and the moose racing clutch and brake guards the week before. I ordered the 20 dollar seat pad last night and I'm surfing the web now for the best deal on crash bars with highway pegs. Next will certainly be either the ammo box type panniers or the pelican case type. I really like the pelican cases because they come off easy to double as a suitcase, which is nice for commuting or road trips.
I spent some time on the .net site and the folks over there tend to only respect the site "regulars." Some of them were real snarky types, so I'm very happy that I found you guys here on klrforum! They seem to spend more time posting than actually riding...
Keep the rubber side down!
Mike (KLRISTA)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The scuffed crash bar! Not bad considering we slid about 75 feet! Notice the highway peg folded around 180 degrees!
Regards....justjeff
If this pic doesn't convince me or others that crash bars are a necessary investment, I don't know what would... Thanks so much for sharing your unfortunate accident with us! IMO, Kawasaki should make these standard along with panniers! :)

Keep the rubber side down...

Mike (KLRISTA)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
KLRISTA.....have you heard of mermite can or food service cans for the military? Seeing as you are where you are maybe there are some there as they are normally hard to find. They are very light and strong. Research them if you can or ask for the full monty on them here and I'll take the time to show and explain them for you. I have them and as you would expect, say they are the best ...lol.

Just a suggestion seeing as how you mentioned the heavier ammo cans.:13:

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
KLRISTA.....have you heard of mermite can or food service cans for the military? Seeing as you are where you are maybe there are some there as they are normally hard to find. They are very light and strong. Research them if you can or ask for the full monty on them here and I'll take the time to show and explain them for you. I have them and as you would expect, say they are the best ...lol.

Oh Willys!!
I have the pellicans and say THEY are the best!!:46::stickpoke::)
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
It's all good....if you're happy with your cans, boxes, bags, whatever that is all that matters right.....to each their own....no-one is perfect...not even me.....lmfao!!!:13:

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
It's all good....if you're happy with your cans, boxes, bags, whatever that is all that matters right.....to each their own....no-one is perfect...not even me.....lmfao!!!:13:
Man! I spent like 3 months reading and comparing about luggage.There are lots of variables to be sure! I found it easier to choose which bike to buy than which luggage! Metal, plastic, soft, top load, side load, quick detach, surplus, new, color, shape, taste! It's impossible....I quit!
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Yep I am familiar with the mermite cans. Do you have any pics? I'm curious how they look on the KLR...

I am leaning towards Pelican cases due to the versatility and toughness. I'll have to order the rack system online but I can get the Pelican cases at the exchange and save shipping charges. It's expensive to ship just about anything here to Hawaii...

Keep the rubber side down! :46:

Mike (KLRista)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Here's a shot from the rear...a none cleaned up set on a buddies bike ....paint them up and they look much better....:13:

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Mermite cans actually look pretty cool. Looks like you guys were on a serious road trip...

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
25,000kms from Toronto to Dawson City, the Dempster, Vancouver Island, Edmonton and back home.....an excellent trip. We do something large every year.....this year 2 weeks on NFLD, just to wet our whistles.......:13::13:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts