Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at Wing's this winter and had my heart set on a 1500 or early 1800... Due to some serious budget constraints (house and garage need reroofed and new eavstroughs, mudjacking on sidewalk) I had to scale back my plans a bit. So, in an effort to get onto a touring bike anyway I started looking at the old 1100's and 1200's. Ended up buying an 86 Aspencade off of Kijiji. Looks pretty well cared for considering it's age and it's a hoot to ride. Has a few issues that hopefully wont be a big deal to fix. Spent a couple of hours on it yesterday and even had my son on it for 45 minutes or so, he likes it! Not planning any cross country trips with it yet, but it's fun to tool around on! :HappyRoll:

·
Premium Member
5,480 Posts
Nice, 'Stew! I sometimes wish I had something like that to take longer trips but I don't really have anywhere to keep one. I still look around for any incredible bargains on Craigslist, though. Looks like a nice, clean bike. Have fun riding it!

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks planalp, I'm really liking it so far :).
Only weird part is that it seems a little cramped (and I'm only 5'9"!) Methinks some highway pegs will be on order soon! :bike:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I love my 'Wing, I hope the KLR is a good companion to it.
I paid about $100 for a drivers back-rest, it's worth a lot more than that.
It already had good foot pegs on the engine bars, I'm sure they're worth more than $150 too.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
Welcome to Wing Word Stew. Looks like a fairly decent bike you got there. I'm going to have to come over and have a look.

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to Wing Word Stew. Looks like a fairly decent bike you got there. I'm going to have to come over and have a look.
Thanks. Looks really good from about 10 feet away... Lol! This one is pretty plain, it doesn't have all the chrome doo dad's that a lot of the ones on Kijiji seem to have... Less stuff to break and clean says I. Lol!
We'll have to hook up some time, I could use some advice on some things with the Wing, other than what I've read on the net I know nothing about them :).
Had a pucker moment this morning on it, was pulling out of our alley when a truck was pulling in so I had to pull over into the loose gravel. Front wheel slid out a bit and it felt like it was going over, thankfully I gave it a little gas and it straightened back up. Whew!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am new here but I have several wings and have worked on them for some time. Just a couple of things you should do first is change the timings belts and there is a plug close to the battery that has three yellow wires. You should cut the plug out and solder the wire together. This plug is known as a weak spot on this bike as well as the 1000 and 1100s. This is the stator plug and if it overheats it will destroy the stator, and that is a engine out job. I did not want to make you leery of the bike but this is just some of the things I have learned about them.With those simple repairs these engines will last a long time

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Welcome to the Forum 6adan!:) I am sure the XR1500 pic was posted for it's humor value but thanks for the helpful information anyway! The Honda Goldwings are definitely known for their reliability but not so much for their off road capabilities.:character00201:
Regards....justjeff

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Wing has been a good old girl for the two summers I've been riding it :). The only negative I can say on it is that it's taking a lot of miles away from my KLR! :wideeyed:

I have picked up new belts for it but I haven't put them on yet... I'm the best procrastinator in the world (till I get towed home with bent valves!) ;).

·
Registered
13 Posts
justjeff, thanks for the welcome, I do not own a KLR just now but am doing some work on one and knew I would need some help. That is why I posted about the wing, I have some experience with those and thought I could help prevent some trouble for anyone that has a wing. 650Stew your 1200 is a great bike, just be sure to do the things I talked about. I went from a GL1100 to a GL1500 and it is a BIG difference. I have had people tell me that have had both that they liked the 1200 better.

Dannie

1 - 20 of 24 Posts