Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, new to this forum. Signed up as the forum I was a member of has been down for some time.

Had this 2003 KLR as my 2nd bike, first street bike. I bought it used with a mere 2100km's on it, now it has ~74,000km's.

I used it 50/50 on /offroad for years but the last few years it has been relegated to street duty only for commuting. Never have enough time these days for "fun" riding anymore. Though commuting is still fun on the KLR.

I just recently was forced to repair it after a crash (my first at-speed crash on pavement). Zip-ties are holding some plastics together, other plastics are "shaved" by pavement, turn signals taped together... etc. New shock too.

She's just not willing to die. lol.

Mark

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome. It might be the time for some guards?

I've found bark busters to be invaluable.
I actually have some hand guards, or BarkBusters. Mine are Maier brand. They are meant for an ATV, but they fit my ProTaper bars well.
They're the ATV Woods Pro aluminum bars, with the plastic hand guards on top.
Saved most of my controls, but the throttle cables were ground down a bit.

And I have the internal crash bars for the radiator and rad fluid reservoir. Years ago I decided they would be sufficient enough that I didn't need to spring for the external crash bars. And as it turns out, the external ones wouldn't have helped in this crash, as most of the damage to the KLR was in other areas.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
A crash is tolerable if you have two outcomes:
1) Walk away with little injury.
2) Someone or something onto whom to deflect responsibility. ;-)

I actually have some hand guards, or BarkBusters. Mine are Maier brand. They are meant for an ATV, but they fit my ProTaper bars well.
They're the ATV Woods Pro aluminum bars, with the plastic hand guards on top.
Saved most of my controls, but the throttle cables were ground down a bit.

And I have the internal crash bars for the radiator and rad fluid reservoir. Years ago I decided they would be sufficient enough that I didn't need to spring for the external crash bars. And as it turns out, the external ones wouldn't have helped in this crash, as most of the damage to the KLR was in other areas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts