Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
9,969 Posts
Subafly-

That's the carb vent hose. It's job is to make sure that hte carb bowl remains at atmospheric pressure so that fuel will flow. When it get's blocked off, the engine starves for fuel and runs like crap. There's a mod (T-Mod) to fix that, but that's another story 'cause it ain't your problem today.

If stuff is coming out of it then your inlet valve is definitely stuck (or the floats are gas-logged and won't float anymore) and she's floodin' like the mighty Mississippi. Best bet is to remove the carb and give it a good cleaning.

You may be able to get away with removing the float bowl and jiggling things about a bit, or you might even set thing right by tapping the bowl with a screw driver handle. But, it's a 10 year old bike. If the carb is in a state where the inlet valve is sticking, the rest of the carb probably isn't that far behind.

While you're waiting for your Clymer's to come, you might want to look at this site:

https://www.johnsmotorcycleparts.com/Keihin_CV_tuning_tips.htm

And this one:

http://www.gadgetjq.com/keihin_carb.htm

Tom

·
Administrator
9,969 Posts
Thanks. I just got the bike back from the shop from having the carb cleaned. So its should be good. I dont know what they actually did to it but I paid 208 bucks to get the thing cleaned. I will try that other stuff. And thanks for the links!
Oh. I missed the part about "just got it back from the shop". I need to work on my reading comprehension...

I'd say they need to fix it up for you. If you had a shop work on the carb and you now have carb issues, that is still their responsibility. Take it back (for the last time - from now on you work on yer own bike) and have them set it right.

Tom

·
Administrator
9,969 Posts
There are two ways that I have converted to gravity feed. One way is to buy a petcock assembly for a 2001 Yamaha 660 Raptor ATV. Ronayers.com, part #
5LP-24500-01-00; cost $18.31. This "Fuel Cock" also has a shorter stalk on the reserve stem, giving you greater range before needing to switch to reserve. It is a bolt in process, requiring no modifications other than shoving a bolt in the vacuum line where it once plugged into the old petcock.
vatrader -

I did the Hurricane mod, but this info about the Raptor petcock is great!

I have an open basket at Ayers right now; that petcock is going on the list.

Can't thank you enough for posting that up - the right part is better than any mod.

Tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.