Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 98 ran great for a day took it to the shop had the carb cleaned, ran great for a day. Ran kinda crappy for a couple days. Ran great today so I took a ride and found a really cool public dirt road which is summer access only. It was really fun blasting my 98 KLR 650 over bumps, rollers and through some mud. When I got back to the road it died. I assumed it was flooded, so I let it sit for a bit (after unsuccessfully trying to start it) gave it some juice and it fired back up. Rode it towards home, and it died a couple more times before I got home. Flooded each time. Once I was parked I adjusted the idle screw to see if it was just not idling correctly. I had to hold the throttle keep it running. While I was down there I noticed gas streaming out of a hose pointing down towards the ground coming off of the left side of the carb. I quickly shut it off and the gas stopped comming out. I cant find where its supposed to go. Did the road gremlins attack? My clymer is in the mail. After some posts on The ADV forum we think its an over flow hose, and the float is stuck open. Any more ideas would be helpful. This is my first bike and I like doing my own work so I'm trying to learn.

Thanks for any advice.
Brian

here are some pics of the hose that had gas coming out.
http://usera.imagecave.com/subafly/motorcycle/IMGP0083.JPG
http://usera.imagecave.com/subafly/motorcycle/IMGP0085.JPG

Also, before today I was having problems with not getting enough fuel, I would be cruising and the engine would stumble (sorry thats the best I can put it) but it would accelerate fine. thats why I had the carb cleaned.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I just got the bike back from the shop from having the carb cleaned. So its should be good. I dont know what they actually did to it but I paid 208 bucks to get the thing cleaned. I will try that other stuff. And thanks for the links!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya your right. I would have done it myself the first time but I really needed a vehicle. To bad I still dont have one thats reliable. My room mate took his bike there too and when he got it back the choke was stuck open. I almost want to take it somewhere else but they should fix it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I drained the bowl and tapped it with a crew driver handle. Sure enough a little chunk of black stuff came out. I dont know it could have been in the cup I drained it into already but it fixed it. So its no longer flooding. Im going to ride tomorrow and see what goes down. Also added the proper size allen wrench to my tool wrap!

Thanks,
Brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.